• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B234f billet crank gear necessary?

LeedomtoFreedom

Just trying to boil this down.

If the pulley was torqued correctly, why would the locator tooth shear? Surely it's just to locate and has very little force actually applied to it. The same way that wheels don't rest on top of hubs, they're merely there to locate the wheel, and the friction and torque of the studs hold it in place?

2 cents needed

It could conceivably give you 10 - 15 seconds to hear the front pulley coming loose and shut it down before the pistons eat half the valves.

You are correct though, the cute little nubbin is NOT there to handle valvetrain torque, the pulley being clamped onto the crank snout and pinching it between with 5000 ft lbs of torque is enough to hold it.

One time I took mine off, and while the crank gear hadn't moved, the nub had somehow broken off while bolted up. So I stuck a key/billet gear on just for some false peace of mind.

It could conceivably give you 10 - 15 seconds to hear the front pulley coming loose and shut it down before the pistons eat half the valves.

You are correct though, the cute little nubbin is NOT there to handle valvetrain torque, the pulley being clamped onto the crank snout and pinching it between with 5000 ft lbs of torque is enough to hold it.

One time I took mine off, and while the crank gear hadn't moved, the nub had somehow broken off while bolted up. So I stuck a key/billet gear on just for some false peace of mind.

I've had the nub break twice on my 8v. Once the pulley came loose and I heard it. And the second time, no ill effects. Discovered by chance.

I have this Ingersoll Rand 3/4" impact. Weighs like 30lbs but if you let the dog eat, it'll rip heads clean off, ask me how I know;-)

Back