• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Converting Mechanical Speedometer to Electronic Speedometer

fige

KING OF TBOT
300+ Club
Just converted my 1984 speedometer to a 91+ speedo.
I have a getrag and a g80 with an electronic speedo output.

The speedo alone does not simply swap between clusters. You will have to use the electronic speedo cluster. Housings are swappable, if you remove the service light interval stalk. Make sure you get the 3 prong plug going to the back of the new speedo as well when pulling the new cluster.

Wiring:
Old cluster is powered by the half moon plug.
New Cluster is powered by the blue wire going to the speedo. You will have to splice that in. Mine was spliced into the existing 12v switched wire for the old cluster.

Both wires from the g80 go to the remaining other two wires on the new speedo. BUT, you will have to splice into the g80 ground wire and ground it between the g80 and speedo.

A little note: the dash light bulbs differ between the cluster. (dummy and blinker stay the same).

I found the info scattered around Tbricks. Figured this is more straight forward.

Just converted my 1984 speedometer to a 91+ speedo.
I have a getrag and a g80 with an electronic speedo output.

The speedo alone does not simply swap between clusters. You will have to use the electronic speedo cluster. Housings are swappable, if you remove the service light interval stalk. Make sure you get the 3 prong plug going to the back of the new speedo as well when pulling the new cluster.

Wiring:
Old cluster is powered by the half moon plug.
New Cluster is powered by the blue wire going to the speedo. You will have to splice that in. Mine was spliced into the existing 12v switched wire for the old cluster.

Both wires from the g80 go to the remaining other two wires on the new speedo. BUT, you will have to splice into the g80 ground wire and ground it between the g80 and speedo.

A little note: the dash light bulbs differ between the cluster. (dummy and blinker stay the same).

I found the info scattered around Tbricks. Figured this is more straight forward.

I remember reading somewhere that you would need to update the differential to coincide with the year of your electronic speedo ... did you not need to do that in your case?

Back