• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

indexing A arm bushings

90volvo

Getting ready to change my front A arm bushing on my sons 93 Volvo 240. I keep seeing post pop up when I search the process on google, about indexing the bushing? But never find info why or how? Any thoughts? Thanks

Is this where the A-arms are not tightened until the car is lowered onto the ground and then they are tightened under body weight? If the A-arm bolts are tightened before the car is sitting at ride-height and under load, the vulcanized rubber is pre-loaded and will act like a spring. This would change ride height, handling and probably cause premature wear of the bushings.

There is no need to index the bushings in the front suspension.
Indexing is needed when the bushing rubber is formed specially (with lightening in areas) or the center piece is eccentric, which allows the center piece to deform more into certain directions. Rear suspension of the 240 has a few indexed bushings, the big trailing arm bushing under the axle, torque rod bushings, panhard bar at the axle.

Torquing them down when its on the ground is not indexing, just proper assembly procedure. :)

Back