• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Two Problems Asking For Advice

xactorocker

well, first I have a 1985 Volvo 245 wagon.

my first problem is I went in for a refuel and found that I am only getting 10 mpg is this normal if not what may be the culprit.

second, this is a weird one. sometimes if my headlights are on my car will start revving by itself no touching anything just starts revving then will stop. then start again. then when I turn the lights off it stops.

any help is much appreciated. thank you.

Last edited:
A) 1985 should be LH 2.2, what transmission ?
You should be getting 18-22(+/-) mpg around town and maybe 28(+/-) on long trips.
How are plugs/wires, cap/rotor, oil, vacuum leaks ?
Brakes/Parking brake dragging ?

B) A sticking/non-closing IACV (idle air control valve) may cause fluctuations in idle, but I'm not sure how your headlights would affect this ?

Visor that piece of $h!t 240, stance that whore, cut her fu?king springs, gut it, side exit exhaust for the kids, electrical tape belt trim, tint everything but the front two windows, prime your rust, moose stickers everywhere, Dave Barton white gauges, mismatch that center arm rest, fat chicks only, street race a stock manual focus, steam clean the centers, hang smell good christmas trees and your high school graduation thing from the mirror, blue silicon hoses all over, Swedish flag on the roof, post pics, profit, part, claim it's all NOS, crush the shell, profit again.

A) 1985 should be LH 2.2, what transmission ?
You should be getting 18-22(+/-) mpg around town and maybe 28(+/-) on long trips.
How are plugs/wires, cap/rotor, oil, vacuum leaks ?
Brakes/Parking brake dragging ?

B) A sticking/non-closing IACV (idle air control valve) may cause fluctuations in idle, but I'm not sure how your
headlights would affect this ?

The engine is a 2.3 and the trans is a m46 4 speed manual with od

lh2.2 is the engine management system, there is k-jet, lh2.2 and lh2.4. lh2.2 is non adaptive, unlike lh2.4 which will "learn" as you change things. im not familar with lh2.2, although I know many swap to lh2.4 trying to make life easier while adding mods.

Last edited:
issue #1: Stage 0 parts cannon - Plugs, wires, cap and Rotor, and O2 sensor. Get the good bosch stuff and NGK spark plugs.
- also look for dragging brakes or bad wheel bearings. Tires running too low on presser etc. anything that could create a drag.

Issue #2: as stated above check your grounds, but also look for any vacuum leaks after an air mass meter. Cracks in the flex hose, broken vacuum lines etc

Sounds like a bad O2 sensor on the gas mileage and bad headlight grounds causing your idle issue.

Hey thank you I am going to check these out. Is there any way I can test the O2 sensor before I go and buy it saw it was around 60 bucks

Back