• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A lifted 1993 Classic 240

Johann245

Volvoholic
I finally acquired my dream car
34ybek7.jpg

28i92yp.jpg

Found it on Craigslist two days ago and went and bought it yesterday. A 1993 245 "Classic" in tropic green. And it was in my price range, sub $1500. Actually got it for less than a grand but there's work to be done. Planning on getting this exterior back in shape and the engine all freshened up. Since I've got my daily driver, this will be a slow, hopefully, detailed process. I've got the rsi na cam from my previous '88 build. I'd like to get this torn down to crank. If I can work it, I'll get the 2.5l penta crank and build my badass na engine I've been wanting. Time to clean and take apart.

Last edited:
OP... that LR quarter has been replaced, and not especially well. Many moons ago.

Thorough investigation recommended.

What's underneath the driver's seat cover?

Lotsa potential but I see a whole barrel o' elbow grease in your future. :cheers:

I love the classics and if i find a parts one I'll make my 89 into one. I'm sub'd, so I'm expecting good things.

I plan on taking my nice black cloth seats from my '89 wagon and putting them in here. Will be collecting all black interior to rid of the horrible tan. Going to try my best to remake the wood trim for glovebox and also see what I can do about the roof of the car. The doors and hood are going to be acquired through Roy, so those will be nice soon enough. It's going to be great!

OP... that LR quarter has been replaced, and not especially well. Many moons ago.

Lotsa potential but I see a whole barrel o' elbow grease in your future. :cheers:

So the drivers rear quarter panel? How can you tell?

Lots of work, but I love Classics. Totally jealous.

Oh yes, but this ones worth it. Ha

Last edited:
^Plastic rivet, then the filler on the tailgate opening, is my guess.

Anyway, if you want to head out this afternoon to grab your black interior stuff, let me know.

-J

You are a smart person. Unfortunately, this time.

Not sure how I feel now. Ugh.

So the drivers rear quarter panel? How can you tell?...

...The white rear quarter panel that was resprayed and installed without proper rust protection at the seams on my new to me classic

From the outside, these were the signs:

classicpn1net_zpsiyhhw9ep.jpg

The tailgate pictures speak for themselves, not the presence of filler as much as poor post-welding/pre-paint metal prep leaving corrosives in the seam (goes for the rocker seam too). QP replacement usually involves a dab or three of filler, but if done right it stays under the paint. An eye for detail will notice the uneven gap between the tailgate and rear pillar as well.

Sorry to have been the bearer of Bad News... Probably not the end of the world, but you're gonna have to see exactly what's gone to devise a Plan.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of rust work on my car myself with ipd spray paint, if you have questions or want some advice, pm me

From the outside, these were the signs:

classicpn1net_zpsiyhhw9ep.jpg

The tailgate pictures speak for themselves, not the presence of filler as much as poor post-welding/pre-paint metal prep leaving corrosives in the seam (goes for the rocker seam too). QP replacement usually involves a dab or three of filler, but if done right it stays under the paint. An eye for detail will notice the uneven gap between the tailgate and rear pillar as well.

Sorry to have been the bearer of Bad News... Probably not the end of the world, but you're gonna have to see exactly what's gone to devise a Plan.

Cutting the section out of another car and welding into place? For the door jamb part...?

I've done a lot of rust work on my car myself with ipd spray paint, if you have questions or want some advice, pm me

Glad you stopped in, will definitely keep you in mind.

Last edited:
Started pulling all the interior for a deep clean. Also to get ready for black interior.

Currently this is in my daily but I'll switch it eventually.

Collection of parts on hand.

Cutting the section out of another car and welding into place? For the door jamb part...?

EYE-deally, what you'd do is pull the flawed install, repair any structure underneath that has been compromised by the bad repair x time, and install a fresh panel, correctly. Strip and paint the Whole Thing.

Since I suppose we're not going there... I dunno. Probably could cut out the rust there and weld in some patch, maybe... Depends on how deep the damage is, especially inside the rocker.

Get it cleaned out real good and see if you can get a few more pics.

EYE-deally, what you'd do is pull the flawed install, repair any structure underneath that has been compromised by the bad repair x time, and install a fresh panel, correctly. Strip and paint the Whole Thing.

Since I suppose we're not going there... I dunno. Probably could cut out the rust there and weld in some patch, maybe... Depends on how deep the damage is, especially inside the rocker.

Get it cleaned out real good and see if you can get a few more pics.

Oh man that's intense. Costly since I don't even know how to weld yet. Will get more pictures of inside panel this week.

I'm in complete agreement with Shifted's assessment.

It needs paint anyways so either repair it properly now and paint it, patch/hack it together or wait for a better car to start with.

Haven't gotten pictures of the inside yet. Looks as if where the outside quarter panel meets the inside fender well area, has started to rust around there as well. :/

Man, these wheels clean up nice. Hood hinge broke as well, dammit.

Swapped out the classic chrome slats for the regular black slats with +5hp moose badge.

The wagon also came with the cargo mat but it was flat along all the sides. And a couple corners have been eaten. Left it out in the sun all day with the sides folded back the wrong way. Left it like that through the evening and then folded them back. Voila. Better than before.

Back