• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

CARB compliant catalytic converter replacement?

I'm looking for getting a bigger exhaust after I replace the front pipe. Not sure whether I should get the new front pipe and make that go to 2.5" and have an entire 2.5" exhaust including the cat. Or I just put on the front pipe, the cat, and then make it 2.5" from the cat to the back.

Trying to keep the cost low so my wallet stays happy.

We had an incredibly difficult time with Andrew's 244t and a "CA cat". At first I had a generic 3" cat on the exhaust we built, passed the sniffer clean, failed the visual. Then we used a CARB approved - pre OBDI 3" cat, should have been all good, passed the sniffer, failed the visual AGAIN. Ended up talking to a referee who amazingly was quite helpful and helped us track down a cat that would pass the visual. Had to install a 2.5" on the 3" system.

Passed the visual, would NOT pass the sniffer. F'ing insane. Finally got it to pass the sniffer tuned in a state that it would barely run.

So the TLDR version, might as well stick with 2.5".

For an NA 240, lh2.2. So I would have to keep the front pipe stock? That would just mean I have to go 2.5" catback

The reason I'm bringing it up is that I have an exhaust leak on the front pipe where the plate that bolts on is. So while I change the front pipe, might as wells do other exhaust stuff.

Last edited:
Go into the dmv and say you diesel swapped the car, if they ask to see it say you didn't drive it. Go in at 4:50 right before they close, then they don't want to deal with your bs. 50/50 shot it will work and then no smog ever again.

Go into the dmv and say you diesel swapped the car, if they ask to see it say you didn't drive it. Go in at 4:50 right before they close, then they don't want to deal with your bs. 50/50 shot it will work and then no smog ever again.
NOW THAT sounds like the way to go. I'm betting it has worked...

What I need is a new front pipe and cat. I want a 2.5" exhaust since I have a mild little B cam in it and want the most out of it since I'm not getting much from my rusted out, rattling 2" exhaust. And I plan to maybe turbo it down the road when I have the time, so having the 2.5" exhaust already on it would save me a little.

I cant remember if I crushed it but at the bros house in lake elsinore I have a full na exhause 2.5" with a newish cat obd2 compliant all welded together. all the way to the downpipe. im not using it.

Itll give you like 3 months more before you actually crush your car. I might also have most of the plus T stuff

I cant remember if I crushed it but at the bros house in lake elsinore I have a full na exhause 2.5" with a newish cat obd2 compliant all welded together. all the way to the downpipe. im not using it.

Itll give you like 3 months more before you actually crush your car. I might also have most of the plus T stuff

A newish cat is fine, as long as it's for the 240. I just have to do something about the exhaust now since I have to smog next year for registration renewal. And the current cat isn't for a 240, just had one laying around to put on to replace the clogged one it had before.

A newish cat is fine, as long as it's for the 240. I just have to do something about the exhaust now since I have to smog next year for registration renewal. And the current cat isn't for a 240, just had one laying around to put on to replace the clogged one it had before.

If you're having trouble smogging now, wait until you jump through the +T visual fail hoops.

If your socal exhaust is rusted what does the rest of the car look like? The OEM original exhaust on my 79' still looks almost new.

Back