• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3rd BRAKE LIGHT for Pre-86 Wagons - Any Ideas?

Richelieu

For you fellows (or ladies) out there who may have driven/bought/inherited pre-1986 240s/245s without the 3rd brake light, I am interested to know what - if anything - you have done, what your suggestions might be, and if you could give me some advice.

I am not comfortable driving in town without the 3rd brake light, simply from the standpoint of safety - too many of the less-informed, simply do not care to remain focused enough while driving to notice that not all cars have this feature. Every time I brake in traffic, I cringe, frankly.

There are the universal type LED strips available at the auto parts store, and, of course, there are the later model 245 3rd brake lights available which I could, conceivably, have wired and mounted to the back window of my hatch, but there must be other options as well. I have searched the forum, and haven't found much on this.

If you added a 3rd brake light in your pre-86 240/245, what did you do/what was your solution?

Thanks for your suggestions. If anyone has an extra, I'd be happy to purchase it from you and pay shipping. Just PM me for price, etc. Thanks!

My main suggestion is to add something aftermarket instead of old plastic parts. I would do something like the link above or get a newer led kit. The led will be brighter and react faster to make light. Putting in the stock light is also possible and just use an led replacement bulb in that. .

A friend of mine gave me a High Lite II years ago. I mounted it at the top of the rear window on my '78 wagon, ran the wire out of the head liner to the light.It has worked fine for years, but it triggers the bulb out warning light when I step on the brakes, at least I know that the brake lights work.

Not a wagon but I added a third brake light to my first coupe many years ago. I got it from JC Whitney, mounted to the back window just like the later 240s. To avoid the bulb out warning I ran the ground wire to each side of the back lights. Never had a problem.

wait so the one in my 85 is not stock? weird, looks stock. maybe mine already has that kit in it.

Honestly- no idea, but interesting. '86 was the year they became mandatory for new vehicles sold in the US, if memory serves. Knowing Volvo, they might have been ahead of the curve on this safety feature as well, but I'd research it to be sure if I had a 3rd brake light in an 85. Let us know what you find out.

An 86 model year car could very well have been built in 85. A early sale in the model years may have been accidently titled as an 85. Also someone could have easily swapped a tailgate. You'll be able to tell by checking the wiring. If it looks original and the bulb activates the bulb out light in the dash when removed. It's probably oroginal.

Back