• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Red 1993 245

photoman327

Here is my 93 245 I picked up almost a month ago and have not hat time to do much. Going to attempt to log progress on this one. Right now just planning a beater to drive anywhere. Not running and badly faded paint. The last three pictures are 1 and 1/2 hour after I got it off the trailer and on hood only.

On the lot in Birmingham.

After buffing the hood.

Last edited:

Especially, if it has black interior.

It does have the black cloth interior with a later model front and back cup holders. Just came in and the compression is: #1-150 psi #2-90 psi #3-130 psi #4-160 psi. antifreeze came out the pan first then I had to stick my finger in the drain hole for the oil to run out. May as well get ready to pull the head to do a head gasket and since it clearly was not maintained pan will come off as well to clean it out.

Nice score. If it had been a factory smoothtop, that would've been even better. Nothing that some Fiberall, some sheetmetal pieces, touch up paint, and some elbow grease can't fix, tho.

I'd probably go ahead and pull the longblock. Work on it out of the car. That way, every seal and gasket can be changed, an iPd reinforcing ring for the oil pump can be installed, along with a Melling M181 pump. It'll also make your life easier, since you won't have to drop the crossmember to change the oil pan gasket. Instead, you can flip the engine upside down on a stand and work on it that way.

-J

Glad to see you got a thread posted up for this one! Blown head gasket or not I am still envious! Red with black interior is a find in itself, let alone that the body is relatively minty! Screw the roof rack, this thing will still be a sweet car! 93 squirter block wil be great once it has a fresh head gasket and seals!

Nice score. If it had been a factory smoothtop, that would've been even better. Nothing that some Fiberall, some sheetmetal pieces, touch up paint, and some elbow grease can't fix, tho.

I'd probably go ahead and pull the longblock. Work on it out of the car. That way, every seal and gasket can be changed, an iPd reinforcing ring for the oil pump can be installed, along with a Melling M181 pump. It'll also make your life easier, since you won't have to drop the crossmember to change the oil pan gasket. Instead, you can flip the engine upside down on a stand and work on it that way.

-J

I was just thinking about the direction on the repair. That is the smart thing to do and take it out and get eyes on everything but i know that how it start and it gets real deep real fast. Got a new Volvo Oil pump and a uniflo Phase one head that would be perfect on a good long block. I use a rack on these car and have a set of gutter rack on my 244 to hall my canoe. Makes my car so ugly but useful. The rack along with the side trim, will come off just so I can do a quality buff job. I did crank it after the compression check with no mass air flow meter and not drive belts. busted right off with a miss. part of cleaning the pan is changing it to on that I have with a bung welding on.. I think i may move on and get everything else running right and rethink. This 93 will make a great car without having to paint it and I'm in Alabama so that means no rust.

-J

Glad to see you got a thread posted up for this one! Blown head gasket or not I am still envious! Red with black interior is a find in itself, let alone that the body is relatively minty! Screw the roof rack, this thing will still be a sweet car! 93 squirter block wil be great once it has a fresh head gasket and seals!

thanks I will keep you up on what I do on it

Going to pull the head Saturday afternoon and the the bores look good, I will check the deck and the head for flatness. will not order any head bolts or gaskets until I do some checking. Trying to decide about using a hi dollar Swedish ported turbo. Really wanted to build a short block for this head but it's just sitting so it may get used along with a Nathan sheet metal manifold. This is turning into a project for real. A buddy thinks it will be sitting there for the next 3 years like the green 245, but he will not put any money on that! Cranked it again Monday and there is a exhaust manifold leak that I will have to fix so thats another reason to add a little power.

Last edited:
Nice find and better shape than the red one I got about a year ago. And I had to swap interior from tan to black. Thats a lot of work and now I have to do a head gasket as well boo! Anyway red wagons are cool!

Thanks, I have want to do some sound deadening to one and the May be the one. If you did not do that you missed a great opportunity. I need to take pictures of the interior and under the hood to I can have before and after pictures.

Any progress on this thing!

No but it's going to be near 60deg Saturday and Sunday so that is my window to get the head off and check to see if it's still flat. Did not order any head bolts yet so may as well wait until I get it tore apart. Sure that they would be okay with I looked at the torque number 45 ft lbs then another 90deg on a aluminum head.

Spring has sprung in Alabama and time to get the 245 running. Pulled the head and intake as a assembly Tuesday and antifreeze in the cylinder and I could see the headgasket blown between 2 and 3 cylinder. Last exhaust stiud was replace with a bolt and I ded not look at the hole until after I had cleaned it and ready to go back on. Cylinders looked good but little cross hatch. Did not measure the cylinder but no ridge at the top.

Since the original head had a messed up hole for the exhaust stud and my choices were to use the big valve Unitek head with the phase 1 turbo cam already installed or freshly machined head that I had. First thought was to go with the Unitek but after noticing the chambers, I chose to go with the fresh machined head. Although both were the same casting the Unitek look to have a reshaped chambers that are larger, bronze guides, larger stainless valve. Figure it will have less compression and perfect for something I build and not a engine I don't know the service history.

Going with a B cam unless I change and got with a new IPD turbo cam.

Although it would be easier to put it installed the intake on a bench, I chose to do it the hard way since I have never had to work on any of my old Volvo's befor now. All the miles my first blown headgasket but I purchased it that way.

Last edited:
Back