home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #26
jpbturbo
Mens Classic Fit Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
Kenny has a 750 hp 6.0 truck motor in his volvo and he's my BFF
I thought an L33 was an aluminum block 5.3 liter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon
My kia is best kia appliance so cheap.. Oh ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac
Ur A LIAR u dident maek 28 psi BOOURNZ!
jpbturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #27
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

it's a 5.3, not a 6.0

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #28
JohnMc
PV Abuser

.7L more costs twice as much from a junkyard.

And with a turbo on it you've got too much HP either way.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #29
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
it's a 5.3, not a 6.0
Oh I thought you had an LQ9

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #30
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

I'M THE WORST BEST FRIEND!

I'm sorry
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #31
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

A cursory search does not indicate that the LFX engine is substantially cheaper than a 5.3/6.0/whatever

the transmissions do seem to be reasonable, however. so there is that I suppose.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #32
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
....too much HP....
????? ;)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #33
383Mazda
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
enginemasters tested the hooker manifold vs longtubes and the cast manifolds weren't that far behind the longtoobes.

Don't think that an lfx swap won't require fab work.
I know there's not a big difference in a good cast manifold vs long tubes. IMO cast are worth it for the streetability / longevity over long tubes (especially on a turbo application )

But that's my point on these motors, there is no header to worry about, if the stock exhaust doesn't fit you're looking at two down pipes essentially (as complicated as running tail pipes...), motor mounts (easy) and maybe oil pan and cross member mods, which are needed on LS anyway. With out measuring this is mostly guess work, but comparing Miata under hood pics of LS vs LF the brake booster clearance looks the same.

I'm on the lookout for a wrecked v6 camaro pullout, then I can really start comparing to my LQ4 sitting in the corner.
a pretty clean '82 245 turbo
and work in progress '88 245
383Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #34
vertigosity
Board Member

^ Now that I've got a 5.3 in a '93 245 I got specifically to do the swap, I want to do something like an LFX or Ecoboost 2.x to give my '80 245 a reason to continue existing. It'll be a few years before I'm ready to bite the bullet, though, lol - it was a long, taxing, build process, and I've got some other smaller projects in the queue ahead of that.

Compare the LFX to a 5.3, not a 6.0. Especially the lower-compression Gen. 3 variants like the LM7 and LM4 have similar power numbers, only swapping ft-lb and hp numbers between them.

The thing to watch would be the driver side downpipe clearance - it might exit right into the steering shaft, which would be hard to build exhaust to avoid. There's no solid measurements on the internet, but I suspect the LFX is 1/2" to 1" narrower, which wouldn't give much room for a clean transition, if it's in that exact area. Some of the V8 swappers relocated the steering shaft; a lot of us filthy casuals using STS mounts and Holley cast manifolds just used available wiggle room or switched to solid splined shafts.

If GM were going to start doing connect-and-cruise or E-rod packages around a V6 (and really, they won't - they've even dropped the 5.3 E-rod, nobody doing that much work wouldn't rather just have the 6.2. They probably sold just enough of them to pay off the CARB certification process), it won't be the LFX, for sure - it's already been superceded by the LGX. Still, it was available in pretty much every USDM GM product except the compacts and full size trucks, so it should have pretty good junkyard availability. Also came in RWD, maybe even with a manual option, in a Caddy or two (ATS / CTS). It wouldn't be a "drop in" package, nor would it be from the "Chevrolet Performance" catalog specifically, but if you had to do it using new parts, I'm sure you could get all the involved parts new from GM, through a dealer like Tasca. An engine from something like an Equinox + a modded pan from V8roadsters + a fresh transmission might also be a winning formula.

Rapid edit: They show that part number as fitting both the 3.6 and 6.2... maybe not!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #35
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Smaller bellhousing/manual trans (if you want it) for dirt cheap would be nice as the big advantage. Edit: linuxman beat me to that.

It's basically an engine support bar job and have a bunch of odd wrenches/wobbles with a really sturdy trans jack to get the 4L80E (trans more worth having compared to the smaller 60E anyway) out with the LS engine in the car.
That's actually the major packaging irritant of the LS IMO. The actual engine looks like it pretty much belongs in a brick.

They sold/sell way too many fleet rate or similar trucks/vans/SUVs for dirt cheap that will probably continue to have a torquey simple, reliable pushrod 5.3/6.0 V8 with an easy +50-100HP possible with the most utterly mundane inexpensive bolt-ons for the TB friendly budget.

Oh, and V6 weight might be nice if you're a real hair splitter about that. Both pretty light for a brick-sized car.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 11-08-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #36
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

It is at the surface, somewhat intriguing from a learning point of view. Esoteric is the term that comes to mind, at least until someone does something really cool with one (or multiples). What's the holding power for the transmission? having a cheap manual option isn't worth much if you start scattering them at modest hp increases.

If it's got double adjustable cam timing and all that though, could be a really fun engine to mess with if you're into that sort of stuff.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #37
dbh86
What's a 16V?

Doesn't the LFX have some issues with chain stretch?

'07 MS6 - DD/DSP of doom
'92 245 - Eternal Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
Incidentally, if we're going to follow this other train of thought, you should install your spare tire while the vehicle is cruising at 55mph, since that's about where it'll be used most often.
dbh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 AM   #38
383Mazda
Board Member

Well, chains don't really "stretch"... but yes, the earlier (pre '12) motors (LLT) had timing chain issues. From what I understand it was a PCV breathing issue from the pass side head - carbon and oil would gunk up the pass side timing chain which would wear out the tensioner and the resulting slack in the chain would cause potentially huge issues... Apparently GM fixed on the LFX and newer motors though - but info is scarce and I still haven't found exactly what GM did to address the problem (other than the issue has gone away).
Old 11-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #39
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

Lol chains don't stretch, tell that to my ZX-11, that eats drive chains for lunch. Last one I bought was an EK, it's got about 10k miles on it so far, I was only getting about 4k out of inferior ones. I'm sure timing chains can suffer the same fate, especially those top quality GM parts.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #40
M.H. Yount
Board Member

The gap between the link plates and the pins wears over time/use. As that gap gets bigger and multiplied over the many plates/pins that constitute a chain of this type, in use (tension) the chain becomes "longer" - but not because the metal 'stretches'. Teeth on gears also wear and as the teeth get smaller with time and wear, the chain fits more loosely over the gears. Tensioners are designed to help take up that slack due to wear over time, but the tensioners can fail/wear out too. Of course, worn tensioners and guide plates can add to the problem. No doubt your 'saki eats chains - but things are wearing out, not stretching. Having said all that -- LOTS of folks (and mechanics) refer to this type of wear as "stretch" which compounds the misnomer.

But it matters not - as long as cheap V8's abound, we won't see a lot of this or any other V6's being transplanted.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #41
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I have a neat little Park Tool chain wear gauge I use on my bicycles. It measures the length of the chain over a couple of links. As the chain wears, it gets longer. As it gets longer, it puts a lot more stress on gear teeth (because it's only engaging with some, instead of nearly all) and wears them out.

I think it's splitting hairs to say that something that gets longer as it wears is not 'stretching'.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #42
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

OP should do it and report back. I'm tired of hearing truck V8s.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #43
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Blub blub blub blub.

I just want something that:
- makes ridiculous amounts of HP
- doesn't blow up too often
- if it does blow up - it's dirt cheap to replace
Old 11-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #44
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

The chain gets stretched on one side on the motorcycle, gives it almost an out of balance tire feeling but it's measurably stretched.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
383Mazda
Board Member

yes it may be spliting hairs, but no individual part of the chain gets any longer - therefore no stretch, gap tolerances just wear out mostly due to dirt and grit contamination. Its not like the earlier V6's or motorcycles pull a chain into plastic deformation. When your brake pads need to be replaced you dont say that they shrunk afterall...

OP is my father, and I told him not to mention this cause now the cat's out of the bag. My brother and I were going to start this project next spring then surprise the internet with an LFX Volvo 240 and rocket to fame and glory on youtube, lol. We've got plenty of Volvos to play with, we'll probably chop an old rusted wagon we have in half to mount everything MCM style...

It'll be documented...
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #46
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

My bike throws ~850lbs 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, I've stretched inferior chains. You can roll it around by hand when it's on the center stand and push up on it and see the difference in slack.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #47
turbotankshane
Board Member

They got rid of a chain on the gen III high feature v6. We were doing chains on the older 3.6's all the time, now that most of those have been taken care of and people are upgrading, we're not replacing chains on the newer engines all the time.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #48
383Mazda
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
My bike throws ~850lbs 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, I've stretched inferior chains. You can roll it around by hand when it's on the center stand and push up on it and see the difference in slack.
I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but considering gravity's acceleration is 22mph per second (which is about how fast your bike is according to your stats) what you're implying is that that same chain couldn't lift you and your bike up without stretching... chains get sloppy, they don't stretch.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #49
383Mazda
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
They got rid of a chain on the gen III high feature v6. We were doing chains on the older 3.6's all the time, now that most of those have been taken care of and people are upgrading, we're not replacing chains on the newer engines all the time.
Any further info on this? Did they just replace a chain with a better unit? These motors have 3 timing chains, right?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #50
740atl
educator monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383Mazda View Post
Any further info on this? Did they just replace a chain with a better unit? These motors have 3 timing chains, right?
having second thoughts about all that lfx fame and glory

You don't have one of these on an engine stand in your garage yet?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote