• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 volvo T5 front mounted shifter help/build

meeki007

Ok so i felt a shimmy in the shifter going 2nd to 3rd on the m40 tranny. This has motivated me to start moving towards a real tranny for my setup.

If you have a early model 140 then you have a long shifter mounted high up in the well. So a standard T5 swap is not an option.

To fix this problem im looking at the GM s10 T5 option.
GW368H270

I am not scared that this has not been documented. If you check my link on my signature im not new at thinking outside the box and making something work. But before i go investing in pulling one of these units i need to source a adapter plate to my b230 block.

The goal of this thread is to get a build done so every one with a 140 with the high mount shifter, be it a b18 to a b230 in your ride, you can get a 5 speed that can hold some power and not be running 3,000 rpm at 65.

now our standard 142 and 144 come with a m40/m41 with a gear ratio of
(1st) 3.13
(2nd) 1.99
(3rd) 1.36
(4th) 1.00
an if a m41 (OD) 0.77

if its a 145 like i have, you have a 4.30 rear-end instead of the 4.10 so its even worse in 4th.

now if you have the (OD) your not doing too bad but for those of us with a m40 not looking to go to a m41 for many reasons here are our gear ratio options with a T5 from an s10

ubber launch ratio

(1st) 4.03
(2nd) 2.37
(3rd) 1.49
(4th) 1.00
(5th) 0.86

and

make use of your HP ratio

(1st) 3.76
(2nd) 2.18
(3rd) 1.41
(4th) 1.00
(5th) 0.72

Now it is said that you can take a WC T5 off a V8 and swap the shifter stuff but im not going to get into this.

What i have found is if its early 1985 s10 or older its the 4.03 1st gear. If its late 86 or older s10 it got the 3.76 ratio. Newer than some 1989 and up you have an electronic speedo so stay clear of these.

Well as said before looking for an adapter plate from a s10 to a volvo block. Let me know if this is you.

Also i will be covering the conversion in detail as i do with all my builds to help others later down the road.

really no suggestions for an adapter, or is every one just waiting to see how this handgrenade goes off?

did you ever get this done? I'm considering the exact same thing but haven't found much in resources on how to get it done. And I'm not as inclined as you are.

did you ever get this done? I'm considering the exact same thing but haven't found much in resources on how to get it done. And I'm not as inclined as you are.

Found some of the write ups I mentioned to you. I hope you do it. It would be such a clean solution on an early 140.

Abridged version:
http://inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

No pics anymore, but lots of discussion here:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/t5-tailshaft-swap-for-dummies-with-pictures.280529/

Back