• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

kaplehenke coilovers vs ipd lowering springs/shocks

keatonml53

I'm looking to buy another 200/700/900 to build as a track/drift car that could also double as a daily. Most people opt for IPD lowering springs and shocks, but I've heard good things about Kaplehenke's coilovers. I know that the IPD stuff is much cheaper, but I am wondering if the coilovers are worth buying over the lowering springs.

Yes to answer your last question. But honestly they aren't really even in the same realm. It'd be like asking if you should get a whopper or a Michelin rated burger.

I think the better question is how much better are they? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the coilovers cost around 3x as much once everything is added up. Are they 3x better? Seriously, I don't know the answer to that question.

With one setup you are stuck with unknown spring values and no adjustment, the more $ allows you to pick the spring rates and fine tune the ride height. Both setups work.

If you plan to be tracking your car, the advantages you get from an increased alignment range make the switch to a small diameter spring coilover setup worthwhile on its own.

You really cant get enough negative camber and caster on these cars with the stock sized springs.

For basic improvements to a road car shocks and springs will get you there. For a track car you are going to want to go coilovers

Stock sized springs suck. I can't get rid of the rubbing. Definitely go with kaplehenke, I will asap.

Stock sized springs suck. I can't get rid of the rubbing. Definitely go with kaplehenke, I will asap.
Even with Ben's strut mounts, you're going to struggle to get more than a degree of negative camber on stock-diameter springs.

IPD won't tell you what their spring rates are. Comparing their offerings to Ben's stuff is like comparing a Taurus to a GT-40.

Last edited:
Back