• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Quest for Quiet(er)

You don't say what year your car is. If it is an earlier than 87-88 240. Then you only have a single door seal on each door. In the late 80s somewhere around 87-88 Volvo added an additional felt seal around the door frame which helps reduce the wind noise from the door by a large amount. You can add the later seals to any four door or wagon. They will fit directly.

Last edited:
E-z way to check for wind noise. Turn fan on high. Turn off recirculate. Get a long piece of vacuume hose and use it like a stethoscope. Windshields like to leak at the bottom. But check everything. Mirrors mount are also prone. All testing with engine an radio off.

When you guys mention "shift boot foam"...do you have any links to what part you speak of? Perhaps my Google-fu needs some work, but I've only been able to find the rubber accordion type boot for this car. Is that also the insulating boot for these vehicles? Mine had that rubber piece under a zip on leather boot, and nothing else.

I used a lawn mover foam air filter. Worked great. It cut down on alot of noise. I put some heavy duty take to hold it in place. then put the boot over that.

-sorry I just now realized you have an auto.

Last edited:
I take a big foam sponge from the car wash isle poke a hole in it and put it over the shifter, then push it all under the sheet metal. It quietens the shifter hole up perfectly for like $1.50. I realize this doesn't help OP, lol.

You don't say what year your car is. If it is an earlier than 87-88 240. Then you only have a single door seal on each door. In the late 80s somewhere around 87-88 Volvo added an additional felt seal around the door frame which helps reduce the wind noise from the door by a large amount. You can add the later seals to any four door or wagon. They will fit directly.

Great advice! I have an 87 and it has the single door seal. I?m going to look into the later year seals.

Back