• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT RODS: 9mm or 13mm??

pcaminos740

Hello everyone!
I have a 740 turbo 1986 (b230ft), it has 9mm connecting rods. I would like to know if I can put the 13mm rods of a b230 (I think they came in the b230 since 90 or 91).

Another question.
Does anyone know these connecting rods are compatible with my car? I have to change pistons?

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/Volvo-B230-ARP-2000-Pleuel-Bielle-H-Beam-Connecting-Rod-Conrod-Con-Rods.html

https://www.cxracing.com/products-by-car/products-by-car-volvo/Rod-Volvo-1520-01x4

Thank you all!

Grab the maxx speeding rods with ARP bolts. Should be bolt in and go. May need to lightly sand/debur the sides of the small end bushing so the pin slides in.

Hello everyone!
I have a 740 turbo 1986 (b230ft), it has 9mm connecting rods. I would like to know if I can put the 13mm rods of a b230 (I think they came in the b230 since 90 or 91).

Another question.
Does anyone know these connecting rods are compatible with my car? I have to change pistons?

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/Volvo-B230-ARP-2000-Pleuel-Bielle-H-Beam-Connecting-Rod-Conrod-Con-Rods.html

https://www.cxracing.com/products-by-car/products-by-car-volvo/Rod-Volvo-1520-01x4

Thank you all!

Again all the experts are advising without asking critical questions

Have you said exactly which pistons you're planning? Remind me

Thank you for your answers!
On the other hand, do you think I can change my 9mm connecting rods to the 13mm of the b230ft '91 +?

Thank you for your answers!
On the other hand, do you think I can change my 9mm connecting rods to the 13mm of the b230ft '91 +?

No point to upgrade from over done noodles to al dente noodles, just piss with the cock youve got and when you get the funds throw in some superbitchin rods and pistons.

Ive been running 9mm rods for 5 years with 200 whp and still no koolaid man. Ymmv

Again all the experts are advising without asking critical questions

Have you said exactly which pistons you're planning? Remind me

stock is implied by the initial 9 vs 13 question.

168207185.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8rlDTK6QI-w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I understand your point. But I have the possibility to get free 13mm connecting rods. What I would like to know if I can remove the 9mm connecting rods and put the 13mm ones.
what do you think?

I understand your point. But I have the possibility to get free 13mm connecting rods. What I would like to know if I can remove the 9mm connecting rods and put the 13mm ones.
what do you think?

They are a direct swap. If reusing the bearings or using new, check the rod to crank clearances.

what do you think?

yep. but for the effort, I'd spend some money and get the stock replacement hbeam rods personally. the 13mm rods are stronger but that's a relative thing.. the h-beams are WAY stronger.

Thank you oh great mind-reader..I was confused by the full text which asked about the H-beams.... and it suggested he was considering those by its inclusion...bad habit of mine to read what people write.

(I doan think you watched the whole video before responding)

:lol:

I dare you looking at all the details posted by the OP!

Silly you, asking insignificant details before immediately considering your expert opinion to be essential to the good continuation of existence.

You should know better.

:lol:

I dare you looking at all the details posted by the OP!

Silly you, asking insignificant details before immediately considering your expert opinion to be essential to the good continuation of existence.

You should know better.

Soory..I was confused..Din't get to sleepy-time till 0330 night before and 0420 this last night..
Ja ?r storli f?rvirra. (find somebody from ?sterbotten f?r traduccione)

Sounds like a twin turbo LS swap is needed.

How about just get some strong H-beam rods and not worry about noodle rods.

Thank you oh great mind-reader..I was confused by the full text which asked about the H-beams.... and it suggested he was considering those by its inclusion...bad habit of mine to read what people write.

(I doan think you watched the whole video before responding)

they are stock replacement hbeam rods. sounds like you didn't read sh<vr>it

but thanks for underlining my assertion ;)

Last edited:
they are stock replacement hbeam rods. sounds like you didn't read sh<vr>it

but thanks for underlining my assertion ;)

OK, I'll play.

If you are planning to change the rods...which the OP is doing, why not change those heavy, discusting, immoral and offensive pistons?

Why deny yourself the secret of happiness?

Sounds like a twin turbo LS swap is needed.

How about just get some strong H-beam rods and not worry about noodle rods

Because they're FREE and this is TB.

OK, I'll play.

If you are planning to change the rods...which the OP is doing, why not change those heavy, discusting, immoral and offensive pistons?

Don't take his kodachrome away!

Back