• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

780 Sunroof Help

rick55_55

89 780

Sunroof leaks bad and it's impossible to get a new/decent seal. Will any other 700/900 sunroof or moon roof work?

Have you tried to clean out the sunroof drains? 4 drain tubes one in each corner.

^ This. Mine leaked once, and the drivers side front drain was filled with these:

stock-photo-574889-helicopter-seed-pod.jpg

and these:

cottonwd_est_seed_sm.jpg

Try blasting the drains with a pressure washer or compressed air. The seal on the sun roof is not designed to hold back the tide. It is only designed to stop water drops, spray and moisture. If the water can't drain it will back up and leak through the sun roof and headliner area.

And to answer your question, the 780 moon roof is unique to 780's. I believe there is a source of these new from some swedish distributor. Or else you can purchase used if you find someone scrapping a 780.

I ran braided cable through the drains (about 6 feet of it) and then put the exposed end in my electric drill and slowly spun it. I've also used compressed air with a long tube BUT, what really did the trick (for me) was to reseal the rubber to the glass with windshield sealer! I would have never thought that that seal could leak that much, but that stopped it.
Good luck!

Are we talking about the same thing?
I'm talking about the rubber surround that is attached to the glass. The "seal" between the "moon roof" and the body doesn't really seal, but just directs the water to the drains. It never really was designed to seal tight.
Just want to be sure we are on the same page.

Back