• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anybody here got a Auto Trans builder around Birmingham Alabama??

RCR

My 98 V-90 is having issues with the trans over heating and shifting erratically. When I got her with right at 130K on the clock the trans fluid was big time nasty and likely never been changed. I flushed it and went back with dextron VII and got around 40K more out of her. However now she will over heat and start shifting erratically when I'm running the air in particular if I get caught in traffic in town on a hot day and is just not reliable anymore for a long road trip. Fluid is still clean and red but she is starting to shudder when I hit the brakes hard as the converter is unlocking late and the converter is also sluggish on the lock ups at highway speeds. The unit is just tired and I suspect that the converter is going.
The prices are NUTS for a rebuild ( $2500-3500!) everywhere I check so far and most I talk to won't touch the Volvo because they can't access the trans codes.
This old girl has 177K on the clock but is immaculate and so far it would be smarter to just dump her than spend almost what it's worth in the quotes I'm getting to to build a new unit and that is NUTS!
Can somebody recommend a trans builder in this area that will build a unit for some sane $$??
The old girl has Magnaflows and a few other tweaks and now knocks down a sold 25MPG on the highway and around 20 in town. I would like to hang on to her if I can find a way to drop a new unit in her for some reasonable $$
DSC01441.jpg

DSCF0576.jpg

DSCF0580.jpg

DSCF0578.jpg

Last edited:
Those transmissions seem to be robust. Have you considered getting one from the pull a part?

?? something I should know bro?? LOL
Seriously Kenny you were one of the guys that I thought might have someone in mind in the area so---.

I don't trust anyone local for anything like that, so I don't have anyone to recommend. I said that as I have zero interest in taking on work like that. nothing personal, wouldn't matter who it was asking about it.

I'm with Matt but first I would drop the pan and change or clean the filter. See what is attached to the filter. If there is no transmission cooler add one. I flush my fluid every 20k. Got 463,000 on a aw70 or 71 with no cooler.

My trans was going south on me. I bought a full filter kit, did the pan drop and it drives like brand new...with 210k miles. Fluid is only part of the equation. Also, some companies make trans fluid additives that are supposed to help soften seals and restore drivability. I can't say one way or the other as I've never used them but I think Lucas makes one. I've seen a few different kinds on the shelf at the local auto parts store.

Forgot about those additives that helps that shutter. Got a bottle in the garage, got mine from a transmission supply store, just don't rember what it's called. That snake oil works.

don't beat around the bush and waste your money. just get a junkyard trans for it and call it a day.

this. volvo did it best in many situations, hit the junkyard, toss a good looking one in yours, drive on. the same as a "rebuilt" redblock motor, i'd trust an oem volvo built j/y one than some guy on craigslist/ebay who says he knows what he's doing

and someone in bama may "know" transmissions(debatable based on some advise kenny was given), but it ain't gonna be a volvo one

this. volvo did it best in many situations, hit the junkyard, toss a good looking one in yours, drive on. the same as a "rebuilt" redblock motor, i'd trust an oem volvo built j/y one than some guy on craigslist/ebay who says he knows what he's doing

and someone in bama may "know" transmissions(debatable based on some advise kenny was given), but it ain't gonna be a volvo one

I know some here in Alabama that can build it and I trust them but I finally figured it out. Pull one your self at pull a part for 55.00 plus a small core. Nothing that special about building one but at 1200.00 plus, I'm done spending it.

I know some here in Alabama that can build it and I trust them but I finally figured it out. Pull one your self at pull a part for 55.00 plus a small core. Nothing that special about building one but at 1200.00 plus, I'm done spending it.

I agree that this AW unit would not be a hard build. I built years ago but don't have the tools and the place to work anymore. Most of these you find have never had the fluid and filter changed so the fluid looks like crap and they are a crap shoot. If I can find a competent builder who will build her for a sane price I would rather go that rout and be done with it. If not I will grab a used unit if I have to.

find one that's wrecked with decent mileage - chances are high it still works fine and was driving when it took damage

There in lies the problem. Everything I'm finding has 100K + on it!
this is the second unit I have had in the car. I went the used unit rout last time and it was never "right". I'm sick of fighting with it!

this is the second unit I have had in the car. I went the used unit rout last time and it was never "right". I'm sick of fighting with it!

Aw71's are pretty stout. I have 251k on mine, and the only complaint i have is a rough 1-2 shift. If you drain and refill the trans oil every other oil change you can get a lot of mileage out of a JY unit.

decent mileage means less than 150k for a volvo. i try not to pull transmissions from anything over 200k miles, at least for automatics. i've pulled 300k+ manual transmissions without issue.

Back