home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
924t5

Question T5 engine swap...

Hi,

I have a Porsche 924, i have a 2.3 t5 engine and i have a dream...

The reason i have recently signed up to this forum is because i was hoping a Volvo guru could help me out/ give advice as i have a couple of questions regarding the engine/ bell housing connection.

1. Do the 2.3 t5 and the 2.5 t5 engines share the same bolt pattern to the bell housings?

2. Which (if any) rwd Volvo gearboxes would bolt up to the t5 block?

3. Which (if any) of the rwd Volvo gearboxes have separate bell housings?

4. If the answer to question 1 is 'yes', then would a Focus ST225 (2.5 t5 engine) bell housing bolt up to my Volvo 2.3 t5 block?

Ultimately i need a Volvo bell housing from a rwd oriented gearbox. It would be much easier to use a Volvo bell housing that is designed to accommodate the flywheel and clutch assembly and then have an adapter plate made to bolt it to the torque tube... Problem is i don't know which would fit.

Any help is much appreciated. I am aware this is quite an involved project and things are coming along nicely so far.

Cheers,

Mike.
924t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Good luck! With the guidance of a few others here, I swapped a T5 engine into my Volvo 242. You can see details in the project thread linked in my signature. Might be some useful information, otherwise there are a couple others on the forum who have a lot of knowledge/experience to contribute.

To cut to the chase, you want to get a bellhousing from a Volvo 960 equipped with an automatic gearbox.

1. Yes, at least the earlier engines (commonly referred to as "N" and "RN" enginges that were produced roughly 1992-2008) have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I'm not positive about the newer engines (referred to as "RNC" produced IIRC around 2009+).

2. There is a m90 manual transmission from the Volvo 960 that should be available around you, assuming you are in the UK, but it does not have a removable bellhousing. The automatic transmission from the same car will also bolt up.

3. The automatic transmission from the Volvo 960/S90 has a removable bellhousing. As an example, I made an adapter plate to bolt a getrag 265 transmission onto a Volvo 960 automatic transmission bellhousing for the T5 engine I put in my Volvo 242.

4. No idea.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

924t5: If you do use the 960 automatic bellhousing, there's an Australian (I believe) adapter available to bolt a Toyota Supra W58 5-speed to it. PM Alex Buchka here on TB for more info as he's done the conversion.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

OP do you plan on keeping the rear transaxle/torque tube setup?

In that vein, wouldn't it make more sense to utilize an Audi 20v engine?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
924t5: If you do use the 960 automatic bellhousing, there's an Australian (I believe) adapter available to bolt a Toyota Supra W58 5-speed to it. PM Alex Buchka here on TB for more info as he's done the conversion.
excessive manufacturing in portland makes one too. Pretty much any adapter plate for 1 uz swap will work. I have a 1uz swap plate on my 960 bellhousing for an R154 and have an AR5 from a pontiac solstice mated up to it. 99% sure it will be perfect once I get it all running.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Harald is pointing out what the rest of us overlooked - the 924 has a transaxle and it seems likely that OP is keeping the original trans but looking for a way to mate a Whiteblock to the front of his torque tube.

That 960 bellhousing still may be the best bet; either adapt it via machining or make a sandwich adapter between it and the tube.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
924t5

Thumbs up On the hunt for a 960 auto box!

The Full Banana - Cheers buddy i shall start looking for a 960 auto bell housing. Seem to only find the full bell housing and gearbox at the moment unless someone on here has on lying around?

Harlard - I had considered the Audi engine (theres a guy on youtube who has done the swap) however cost came into play at the time and i had the white block available from a parts car so went with that.

Duder - I think that's the best plan too, i am keeping the original layout using the transaxle setup. It seems so much more simple to have a sandwich plate made for the torque tube end (4 bolts in a square pattern) than to have an adapter made for the block to bell housing.

I will now be on my quest to further progress this project. Thanks guys so far for your help, i'll upload some pics going forward. Any further info/ ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
OP do you plan on keeping the rear transaxle/torque tube setup?

In that vein, wouldn't it make more sense to utilize an Audi 20v engine?
That's what my codriver is doing to his 944 rally car
73 1800es - resto
08 c30 T5 6spd - daily
97 dakota 5.2 4x4 single cab short bed - apocalypse mobile
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
924t5

Pat 244ti - That looks a good fit so far, any further info or link to where i could possibly check out the build would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924t5 View Post
Pat 244ti - That looks a good fit so far, any further info or link to where i could possibly check out the build would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.
I'll bug Phil later, most of the pictures are floating around on Facebook on his fabricator's page [Dave Clark]
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924t5 View Post

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike, Check Out Dave Clark Motorsports on FB. He's the one doing the fab work. Look for the photos/posts around January and earlier.

Dave Clark Motorsports on FB link.