• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

thelostartof LH 2.4 Chip Feedback Thread

Still waiting to receive mine, but I am gonna hit the drag strip as soon as I install them.

I'm hoping they lean me out, actually...I have a sneaky suspicion I'm running rich just by the smell, but it's hard to tell as I have no cat anymore.

Feedback so far - after about a week with the fuel chip only....(for various reasons I'm an idiot and ordered fuel and EZK separately - don't ask)

The car:

'91 745T
Non-Chippable EZK for the moment (thanks SBABBS for the chipable)
B230FT with about 160K miles (slight ridge at tops of bores, but otherwise tight.
T cam (probably running slightly retarded due to having the head surfaced - it was just a clean-up pass, but it was done)
Green Tops
15G
3" MVP with down pipe
Gutted stock air box with reasonably clean K&N
MBC set to 15 PSI (spikes to 16PSI)

First Impressions:

Pros:
All the OEM stuff works perfectly...good to know.

0 ping even when I was resetting my MBC and rolled into the throttle on a hill and hit 18PSI of boost with green tops....very forgiving since there's no way in hell the OEM chip would have done that. Green tops + 18 PSI normally = Bad Mojo.

Cleared up the high RPM, high boost enrichment smoke I used to get with the stock ECU - I don't look like a diesel getting on the freeway anymore yay!

Very smooth at higher RPM's

Pulls really well to about 4800 on tip in (it is a retarded T cam after all)

2000 RPM brake stand launch pulls hard with partial throttle (I'll explain full throttle problem in cons)

Remindes me that I need to replace my driveshaft center bushing thingy....my drive shaft's goin' "giggidy giggidy" on launch

Might just kill my AW71 which would give me an excuse to get a proper tranny (wife said you can swap when the AW dies....it went 7 years without so much as having ATF added to it without giving up)

More responsive under the curve

Cons:

well, 2 questions actually, not really cons at all

1) Are the chips adding extra enrichment right off idle? I ask because my TPS is adjusted properly, and now I get a slight stumble just as I crack the throttle as if my TPS was out of adjust. I might try resetting the TPS with a teeny bit more gap on the throttle stop and see if that helps.

2) I think my poor old, sad-assed, oil soaked intake boot from the MAF to turbo is collapsing at higher RPM's under WOT because the car's acting like it has a 5K RPM fuel cut.

Launch at 2K RPMS, pin the throttle....no wheel spin since I finally got decent rubber, car pulls like a freight train until 5K then poof....it feels like fuel cut. Lift, the car recovers in about 1/2 second after some sucking and wheezing noises from the front right corner and then everything's fine.

I'm going to start by doing a test run with no air filter in to see if it's just a dirty air filter causing the collapse.

If that's not it, then I'll pull the boost back to about 14PSI (I was fine at 13.5 before) - maybe there's ping I can't hear and the stock EZK is pulling timing?

Unless someone had a good cold side boot they want to lend me for testing purposes :-D

All told though, I'm very happy with just the fuel chip so far, and can't wait to get the EZK in and figure out a few gremlins.

Well done man.

Going from 13 to 18 psi you will get the cutout with that setup, I would recommend to do the zenor diode mod like I have done, and get some larger injectors and a real wb guage to check afrs

The stumble I have not seen but the ezk chip show fix that with a bit more timing off idle, it is on the way .

You are getting amm cutout from that much boost so either a 3"amm and larger injectors for a start or the diode trick should work
Glad to hear you like it so far

NONO, I'm NOT running 18 pounds! :omg: That'd be nuts on green tops. I'm running 15 pounds and it may spike to 16 tops. 18 was only when I was resetting my boost controller. I'm still looking for a good deal on a JAW so I can actually see what kind of AFR's I'm getting.

I'm not going to go too nuts on the red block just having some fun while I plot to take over the world with 5 cylinder goodness for my next motor :-P

Thanks again and I'll post once I've abused the car with the EZK chip for a while.

UPDATE:
Just installed my EZK chip...holy hell this is fun :)

I really need to find a good stretch of road to bring the car up to 6500rpm, as on surface street and come up on cars too quick. With 15psi on my 16g the cars is loads of fun and no audiable PING at all. These chips together make for a sure perfect combo on any 2.4 car. If you are planning on making power these are the way to go.

Once I get to the track on the next couple weeks ill post results...that is if my trans and tires last :lol:

Once I get the cam issues worked out (hopefully this weekend), and a fresh oil change to some syntec I'll probably up the boost to 14-15. Not much more as I THINK I'm still getting KS noise.

When I had the turbo cam in, running quiet, 6500 was FUN! 2nd gear getting on the freeway at 80, hit 3rd and leave em behind. I'm really seeing the difference of the VX right now, and I want the turbo cam back.

FWIW cruising at 65-70 on the freeway, a hard stab will drop it to 2nd and launch you to 80-ish before it hits third!!

Once I get the cam issues worked out (hopefully this weekend), and a fresh oil change to some syntec I'll probably up the boost to 14-15. Not much more as I THINK I'm still getting KS noise.

When I had the turbo cam in, running quiet, 6500 was FUN! 2nd gear getting on the freeway at 80, hit 3rd and leave em behind. I'm really seeing the difference of the VX right now, and I want the turbo cam back.

FWIW cruising at 65-70 on the freeway, a hard stab will drop it to 2nd and launch you to 80-ish before it hits third!!

You mean the IPD turbo cam, right?

The NA chips are going to be something. The ones I'm testing out right now are quite awesome, or were initially. Now I don't know if I'm just used to the increased power and efficiency, or what. I'll have gas mileage figures eventually, but it seems to have bumped up around a mpg or two. I don't know when the next time I'll get some good cruise mileage in, but I likely won't have the automatic in the car by then anymore either. We'll see.

That being said, high rpm is the shiz! I only have the B cam in the car right now, but it's cool to be able to wind out the car in first... I almost hit 90mph in second the other day, worthless gearing for an NA car! Haha.

Good stuff to come, indeed.

EZK update: - with only 1 warm-up and about 5 miles of driving

Holy Fecalmist Batman!

The combo is where the magic is! The ECU alone was a nice improvement - see really long post above, but the combo of ECU and EZK chips is really where it's at!

Remember those stickier tires I was talking about before?....They're no longer sticky enough! The weird off-idle stumble....gone! Off boost and low RPM response...fricken wonderful! Previously I wasn't hitting max boost until about 3k in first gear, now Gas Pedal = Boost Pedal!

I also pulled my MBC back to 14 PSI (with spikes to 15).

The chips haven't even had any time to learn other than a warm-up cycle and literally about 5 miles of driving, and the BASELINE tune is already night-and-day. I'll put a few more miles on it and start experimenting with WOT pulls soon.

So far though, WAY TO GO MAN!

P.S., to anyone wanting LostArt chippy goodness: First and foremost, bitch-slap your inner tightass and BUY BOTH CHIPS - your butt dyno will thank you as soon as it spits out your seat cushion!

Results should be had this evening. Just got the NEW IPD cam installed and run-in. Time for an oil change to synthetic, boost up to 14-ish, and see what breaks first.

Could you people please post a little more info in your threads?

I think it would be good for ALL of us to know:

- Which chips were you running previously
- Did you install Fuel, Ignition, or both
- What octane fuel AND what boost level are you running
- Quick mod list of car

Thanks!

HOLY CRAP!!! Boost is up to 14psi, FRESH Turbo cam with all lobes intact, the car is just insane!! Got a couple clean runs, the ECU is definitely learning the new boost mapping, but good god! The ignition chip may be a little too aggressive for this motor and crap-gas we get here, but all in all, even with the small AMM and BT's it is just AWESOME!

Can't really compare to my old chips since the boost never went up this high, nor was the cam in good shape, while on this motor, but even in the old motor at more boost things didn't feel this happy.

Get larger injectors and bigger AMM, you should net a bit more of a gain from the larger AMM as less restriction from the smaller AMM along with a bit of extra fueling should also help.

my thoughts exactly :)

took the car up to 6500rpm yesterday and man was it fun....cant wat to get my built motor, 531, and Catain Bondo header on for some real fun

Back