home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
lolodibo

Default VOLVO 940 b200ft upgrades

hello turbobrikiens, greetings from Portugal!!!!!
im a prod owner of a volvo 940 b200ft with a m46 transmition
I would like to make some changes to my Volvo, but only after the transmission can handle.
I'm thinking of staying for 200-250
I was searching here in your forum and my model of car with this engine has little information ....
I know that with the original turbo I get up to 15 psi but I was willing to buy a new turbo .... and in relation to cam? and the clutch is worth making changes?
I want to make some changes but without spending a lot of money and also have to take into consideration that in portugal it is illegal to make changes ... but **** them ..
I am open to all your opinions and please tell me what parts to buy and tips
thank you all
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #2
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

You have a b230ft, this forum is basically dedicated to that engine. Fortunate for you, everything that you need has already been done, documented, and ready for your disposal.

So yourself a favor and search for what you need with the key words "b230ft" or "Volvo 940/240" and you can find what people have done
LeedomtoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

Edit: found out the b200ft is real but it's the same process as the b230ft so you're not far off
LeedomtoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
lolodibo

well i was right than....can anyone help me on b200ft?
isnt this a volvo forum?
thx

Last edited by lolodibo; 05-03-2018 at 10:23 AM..
lolodibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

We have the B200FT here in the UK also. I think your market is mostly B200 and rare to get a B230. In the UK its 50/50 more or less.

To keep things looking as original as possible I would suggest 850T5 turbo, bigger injectors and something like a stage 2 or 3 cam along with chips for the ECU's

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
lolodibo

sound perfect!!! what about the clutch? I happen to have to replace it ... do you advise any of them in particular or leave the original?
sorry the stage 2 or 3 cam? can you tell me more about that? and chips can you advise some?
im new to the volvo world sorry
cheers thanks a lot for you help
Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
89_740Turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolodibo View Post
sound perfect!!! what about the clutch? I happen to have to replace it ... do you advise any of them in particular or leave the original?
sorry the stage 2 or 3 cam? can you tell me more about that? and chips can you advise some?
im new to the volvo world sorry
cheers thanks a lot for you help
You're clutch should be OK. Dont drop it.
Yoshifab.com has great clutch upgrades if you blow one.

For the chips, you'll need a chipped ECU if you want to run high boost. If not, stock boost should be ok.
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
mark244turbo
Board Member

Gutted airbox, chips (or megasquirt EFI), camshaft, reclocked 15G turbo, manual boost controller, 3" downpipe to stock exhaust, ebay intercooler (painted black!) And 940 TDI clutch if your turbo clutch starts to slip.
1983 244 turbo B21FT/AW71, full RUSToration/new rear (USA-import)
mark244turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
lolodibo

hi guys !!
I did not find a camshaft for the b200 just for the b234 ...
Do you know of a website that sells?
my lambda sensor is broken i gess...my light panel is on....do i have to change the lamba setup for the upgrades or do i start searching for a new lambda sond?
cheers
Old 05-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
Janspeed
Board Member

the camshaft is not the first thing you should think of when tuning your engine. Your engine is a 2.0L , it needs all the low rev pulling power it can get. Adding a hot cam will push the powerband higher up in the rev range. A B200FT with a hot cam will feel lame and flat in the low revs.

The chips, the 15G , the boost controler and 3"downpipe are enough to get to your power goals.
If your engine already has the green or light-green (305cc/min@3bar) turbo injectors then your fuel system is probably OK for your power goals.

In case of a check engine light check for errors. There is a small black box near the driverside shock tower , it has a 'pigtail' hanging from it. This box is used to access flashcodes. Each LED-flashcode has a certain meaning , it points to errors or broken parts.
Search this site and learn how to use this diagnostic tool and how to interpret the flash codes and their meaning.

Last edited by Janspeed; 05-10-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Sjeng
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolodibo View Post
hi guys !!
I did not find a camshaft for the b200 just for the b234 ...
Do you know of a website that sells?
my lambda sensor is broken i gess...my light panel is on....do i have to change the lamba setup for the upgrades or do i start searching for a new lambda sond?
cheers
The light with the lambda symbol is lighting up on the instrument panel?
This is just a general "check engine" light, it does not necessarily mean your lambda sensor is toast. Try reading which fault code you have.

As for cheap power: a bigger mitsu, downpipe, chips and mbc will already make it nice to drive. Your stock injectors should be fine for running 1 bar on a 15g. fyi cams for b230 and b200 are the same. Although I agree with Janspeed it is not what you should be spending money on right now.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
lolodibo

thank you guys
I'll search more about flash codes and expose here what I can read
I've been searching for more about my gearbox and it's not enough for the power that I'm going through ..... it looks like I need a gearbox m90
Anyone from the forum have any for sale?
cheers guys
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #13
Janspeed
Board Member

they were only available in the turbo cars (LPT (B230FK-engine) and HPT (B230FT-engine) from 1995 upto 1998. Many of those cars had automatic gbox. That means that M90 cars are not easy to find.
If you do find such a car you also need the dual mass flywheel, the pressureplate, throw out bearing, the friction disk and the shifter+linkage).
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #14
lolodibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
they were only available in the turbo cars (LPT (B230FK-engine) and HPT (B230FT-engine) from 1995 upto 1998. Many of those cars had automatic gbox. That means that M90 cars are not easy to find.
If you do find such a car you also need the dual mass flywheel, the pressureplate, throw out bearing, the friction disk and the shifter+linkage).
hi
do you think my m46 transmition can take 200-250 horse power?
i read some were here in this forum that its a no go