home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 05-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
reed
Board Member

Default Microsquirt vii Regina crank signal

I need some help setting the crank pulse wheel settings for the 40-2-2 flywheel used in the Regina fuel system.
reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
bobxyz
Board Member

Find a copy of greenbook TP31397-1 Ignition and, I think, there's a picture of your Regina crank wheel on pg. 24. MicroSquirt may use slightly different nomenclature for the wheel: 44-2-2 "fourty-four minus 2 minus 2". You may need to search around http://msextra.com/forums/ if it doesn't behave for you -- support for some of the more uncommon wheels can be buggy/broken.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Mogly
280WHP Regina

Wouldn't it be easier to set it up via the Regina igniton box like the lh2.4 guys are doing?
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
reed
Board Member

Ok thank you remember seeing it in the green book a long time ago
Old 05-10-2018, 03:01 AM   #5
OttoB
Board Member

I dreamed once having Renix flywheel and mega for ignition control only. Came across this:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...p?f=94&t=16988
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
reed
Board Member

Thank you for the link. I just need to figure out how to input the settings into TunerStudio. I have a extra Regina flex plate on the bench to look at
Old 05-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
reed
Board Member

Can someone help me set this up for Regina?

https://i.imgur.com/SWKIjO1l.jpg

Old 05-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
bobxyz
Board Member

You may need to upgrade the software from the original B&G code to the MSextra code (see http://www.msextra.com/downloads/) -- I don't know if the original code supports wheels with two missing tooth sections.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
reed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
You may need to upgrade the software from the original B&G code to the MSextra code (see http://www.msextra.com/downloads/) -- I don't know if the original code supports wheels with two missing tooth sections.
Iím really new to al of this. Iím running v2 microsquirt. So then I would have to use msextra software to tune?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

if it's a v2 micro, I think you have to have an external vr conditioner, right?

anyway, regarding the firmware,software... when you upgrade to ms&se, tunerstudio will auto detect and download (if need be) the correct definitions for that, and then I suspect things will make a bit more sense.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
reed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
if it's a v2 micro, I think you have to have an external vr conditioner, right?
I donít know
Old 05-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
reed
Board Member

Ok I’ll try it. My old computer I use won’t connect to the internet and the usb to rs-232 adapter won’t work on my newer windows computer or Mac book. So I need to transfer it to a flash drive blah blah blah.
Thank you for the help
Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #13
reed
Board Member

I got the firmware changed. I forgot my old computer at work and it still won’t work with my newer windows unit. But I like it a lot better when I had a chance to mess with it at work. Just need to figure out how to input the ignition stuff for Regina
Old 05-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #14
bobxyz
Board Member

Can you check what version of MicroSquirt you have? It should say something like "Microsquirt Engine Controller V3" or similar on the back of the plastic case. (You do have a plastic cased MicroSquirt, about the size of a pack of cards, and not a metal cased MegaSquirt, about the size of a paperback book?) The V3 microsquirt includes conditioning circuits for VR CPS sensors. The original microsquirts only directly supported Hall type CPS sensors -- you need an add-on VR conditioner board to use a VR sensor, or an adapter bracket and a hall sensor (Mueller?).

If you're completely new to MicroSquirt/MegaSquirt/TunerStudio, ask around and see if you can find someone close by that will show you their setup. Good things to know about are:
- initial sensor calibration setup
- diagnostic testing modes
- high speed tooth logging
- general logging and viewing

What's your engine and car?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #15
reed
Board Member

I have microsquirt v2 metal case. The car is a a 1990 740 Regina. I have made a plug and play harness and I know what all of the sensors should be calibrated too.

I thought I could use the factory crank sensor. Well crap. This is frustrating. I don’t know anyone else running a stand alone. I just try to read and take. Let’s as much as possible.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #16
reed
Board Member

So I can’t just connect it to VR+ and VR- then ground the shielding wire?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
bobxyz
Board Member

The original MicroSquirts used the same circuits as the MegaSquirts, but in a smaller package. Instead of the fussy adjustment pots for the crank conditioning circuits, MicroSquirt used fixed values. You might get lucky and have those fixed values work OK with your setup, but I doubt it.

To try this, you'd connect CPS pin 1 or 2 (VR+ or VR-) to the MicroSquirt VRIN+ pin, the other CPS VR pin to ground, and the shield to ground. There's a chance that you'll have the polarity wrong and will have ignition wander. If so, swap which VR pin from the CPS goes to VRIN+. The old MicroSquirt docs, or maybe the experts here, might know which CPS pin (1 or 2) to use.

Also try sending a PM to Mueller and see if he's the one who made adapter pieces to use a Hall sensor in the CPS sensor hole. I don't know how well they worked, but it would be one solution. Otherwise, JBperf (or maybe FreeEMSFred) have standalone VR conditioner boards.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #18
reed
Board Member

Awesome thank you very much for the clear explanation and help.
I was reading this, this morning. I don’t know if that applies to me.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #19
bobxyz
Board Member

I found some docs for the microsquirt V2 and yes, there is a dedicated VR- pin (it just connects to ground within the box), so you'll connect CPS pins 1 and 2 to microsquirt VRIN1+ and VRIN- (pins 32,33). You can connect CPS pin 3 shield to VRIN-, or to any other ground pin. I don't know whether CPS pin 1 goes to the + or -. It's probably the same as connecting to a MegaSquirt if you can find that.

I'd try running your CPS as is with the MSextra code and see if it works. The V2 circuits may be OK with your Regina wheel, or they may have problems at higher RPM, like some of the other MegaSquirt/MicroSquirt circuits.

The link to the V2 docs is this page, and it's links too: http://www.microsquirt.info/v2index.htm

Here's a picture of a MicroSquirt V2 from the above link:

As an added bonus, here's something that I had never seen before (as if the MegaSquirt relay board wasn't a bad idea already). It's a "MicroSquirt Access Board":

Good luck
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
dl242gt
Can play the blues

If the regina flywheel doesn't work I think you could use a block mounted hall sensor distributor.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
reed
Board Member

So this is where I’m at now and it tells “not rpm synced” I have no spark but I’m getting rpm in the TunerStudio engine speed gauge

Old 05-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
reed
Board Member

Can microsquirt send a low positive voltage to the coil pack with power stage?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #23
reed
Board Member

Btw I’m trying to use a Regina coil.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #24
reed
Board Member

So I have jumpers on the micro v2 board. Well there are no jumpers installed and I can’t find any information on them. I have a feeling that may be my issue. If anyone can help I’d greatly appreciate it
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #25
bobxyz
Board Member

First off, disconnect your injectors and your coil until you get a good tooth pattern while cranking.

The polarity of the signal to the power stage is selected by the confusingly named Spark Output "Going High" or "Going Low" setting. If you use the wrong one, it may overheat your coil and will trigger at the wrong time.

To check the crank VR sensor, you want to run a "Tooth Logger" view from Tuner Studio - see the MSextra Setting Up Guide for Megasquirt-2 (your MicroSquirt v2 is most similar to Megasquirt-2). If you get something, but still aren't getting rpm sync, post a picture.

You can also test the fuel pump, injectors, ignition and idle valve separately - see the Output Test menus under the TunerStudio CAN-bus/Testmodes tab, and the Setting Up Guide.

I looked at the schematics and I don't see any jumpers in the MicroSquirt v2. Unlike the MegaSquirt, you either wire up the Opto input or the VR input (not both) and the circuits will use whichever one is active (no jumper selection is involved). Does your MicroSquirt have some sort of plug-and-play adapter board, in addition to the main MicroSquirt board? If so, please post a picture showing any jumpers.