home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member
 
oldschoolvolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Default

A 16T will work fine with stock turbo exhaust (with or without 3" dp). You will be able to free up some more hp if/when you upgrade the rest of the exhaust to 2.5" or 3" in the future. It is all up to what your goals are with the car.
__________________
-Mike
1998 V70 T5
1979 242 DL+T |Project Thread| |Feedback|

Last edited by oldschoolvolvo; 05-06-2018 at 02:13 PM..
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #27
89_740Turbo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: North East America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
A 16T will work fine with stock turbo exhaust (with or without 3" dp). You will be able to free up some more hp if/when you upgrade the rest of the exhaust to 2.5" or 3" in the future. It is all up to what your goals are with the car.
Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover all the bases so I know every angle.

My goals are not to make it a race car, but just a fun EOD driver. Something that has speed and quickness but not a 12 second quatermile times. I'm aiming to be somewhere around 200HP - 220HP while not blowing my trans, clutch and gears. I want to stay within limits of what the trans, clutch et all can handle.
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:12 AM   #28
VB242
These Pipes Are Clean!!
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_740Turbo View Post
Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I just want to cover all the bases so I know every angle.

My goals are not to make it a race car, but just a fun EOD driver. Something that has speed and quickness but not a 12 second quatermile times. I'm aiming to be somewhere around 200HP - 220HP while not blowing my trans, clutch and gears. I want to stay within limits of what the trans, clutch et all can handle.

Lol, famous last words, I started with the same intent until I broke 2 transmissions and upgraded to a T5.
__________________
1980 primer JDM flares franken-242DL, 1989 silver 780 sienna rear spring nivomat delete
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
Janspeed
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_740Turbo View Post

Thoughts on this application: 16T, 3" downpipe ---> temp stock exhaust @ 10psi and eventual 2.5" exhaust?
perfectly fine, in fact, the 780-turbo-16V (B204FT/GT, 200hp) has a similar setup stock, straight from the factory.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #30
89_740Turbo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: North East America
Default

Bump


Is it possible to mount a 3 inch downpipe to the TD04-12B stock turbo on the 740T?
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #31
240240
I crush everything!
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California Über Alles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_740Turbo View Post
Bump


Is it possible to mount a 3 inch downpipe to the TD04-12B stock turbo on the 740T?
Yes, anything is possible, but why?

I have a rare jao downpipe ill sell you for 800$
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
I know what I have, and you can buy it here

Last edited by 240240; 05-16-2018 at 08:41 AM..
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #32
EivlEvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_740Turbo View Post
Bump


Is it possible to mount a 3 inch downpipe to the TD04-12B stock turbo on the 740T?
I assume they're asking so they can have the exhaust done now, and upgrade the turbo later.

Be cautious with this. Turbo's sit in different spots, and come with different exhaust housings.

THEORETICALLY if you wanted to you could do this though. I believe you'd need to change the flange going from the 12 to anything 15+ though.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #33
89_740Turbo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: North East America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
I assume they're asking so they can have the exhaust done now, and upgrade the turbo later.

Be cautious with this. Turbo's sit in different spots, and come with different exhaust housings.

THEORETICALLY if you wanted to you could do this though. I believe you'd need to change the flange going from the 12 to anything 15+ though.
That's basically what I was planning on doing. Get exhaust done now and turbo later but It seems like I might as well just wait to do them both at the same time
89_740Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.