home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
mrnabisco
Board Member

Default Cam For NA 945 - A or B?

Wanting to swap a cam into my NA 94 945 auto.

I put an IPD VX in another automatic 945 I have and it seems OK. Can feel a difference, but not the same as running a manual tranny (where you can control the rpm more).

Thinking of an "A" cam or "B" cam for the other 945.

Anybody run either the "A" or "B" in a 940 automatic? Impressions?

Thanks for any input.
mrnabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
nitroboie
Board Member

Get the A since you'll need it to have a slot, unless you're running the block mount distributer or coil packs. They're really so close that I doubt you'll know the difference other than on a dyno.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
mrnabisco
Board Member

Thanks.
The 945 has Regina with side distributor, which is why I was considering a "B" cam.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
reed
Board Member

I’m running a 90 740 Regina with the a cam and I like it. What would you like to know about it?
reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

The B cam is just a bit better than the A cam on almost every area. I'd just go with the B cam if you can get one for a good price, and if your engine accepts it.
GeneralBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Some members like to use a “T” cam with n/a + auto due to low end torque and auto not using upper rpms as much as manual can.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Some members like to use a “T” cam with n/a + auto due to low end torque and auto not using upper rpms as much as manual can.

What's the fun in having torque in the rpm range where your car operates?

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
I crush everything!

What is the top speed you can go in brooklyn?
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
I know what I have, and you can buy it here
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
centason
CNT-FAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
What is the top speed you can go in brooklyn?
Over 100mph. I've seen it. TSB.
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Just remember this guys. Im related to cocaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Get the cheaper one. You won't notice a difference.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
mrnabisco
Board Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Interesting about a "T" cam in an auto NA... I was mainly wondering about cam choice with the auto tranny, and trying to get good power/torque inside the auto RPM range.

Reed, how is climbing hills with the "A" cam?

I have come to like the auto tranny in ways, but what I find frustrating is going up hills and not really being able to match rpms and gear to get a good "pull". Uphill the auto tranny always seems to be in either too low or too high a gear. ??? With a strong motor (V15 or VX cam) and 5-speed I could climb hills much better.

And yes, you can go quick in Brooklyn. Maybe not 100mph easily. I've gone pretty quick more than once on the BQE. But I mostly use my brick to go on road trips out of NYC.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

I don't have any personal experience w/ T cam + n/a, but here is some reading:
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=305342
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=198184
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
I crush everything!

I do t cam advance 4* with cam gear on an autotragic. It's the only way to get smilepower from buttdyno.

I also like to pull treestumps on the 3.73 rear
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:24 AM   #14
mrnabisco
Board Member

Thanks for the links.
I already have an "A" cam, so I'll start with that.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #15
reed
Board Member

With my A cam I have the ipd adjustable gear at 2.5 degs advanced. I’m running 208cc yellow injectors out of a 960. On 89 octane I’m making 90whp and 100wtq with afr 14.7 all the way across the rpm. I’m working on trying to richen my afr to 12.5-12.8. I’m also running the eBay 2.5 turbo exhaust welded to my stock na downpipe. 4.10 rear and Pegasus 17” wheels
Old 05-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #16
reed
Board Member

If you send me a picture of the Regina control unit I may be able to tell you if it has had the factory software upgrade. If not it makes a huge difference in drivability. I can do the upgrade for you also.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #17
mrnabisco
Board Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get a pick of the Regina unit and be in touch.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #18
VB242
These Pipes Are Clean!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed View Post
If you send me a picture of the Regina control unit I may be able to tell you if it has had the factory software upgrade. If not it makes a huge difference in drivability. I can do the upgrade for you also.
I wish I'd known about your shop last year, I came down and camped at hickory knob state park for the eclipse. I would stopped by to shoot the breeze.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
reed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
I wish I'd known about your shop last year, I came down and camped at hickory knob state park for the eclipse. I would stopped by to shoot the breeze.
I always welcome visitors at our shop.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:50 AM   #20
Tentshedtrev
Board Member

Put the t cam in a 245 wagon, na, auto. Would maintain 110km/hr up most hills with 4 passengers, I was impressed. That's it tho, not much point in revving it out or trying to go much faster...it got a m46 and a k cam shortly after.

1990 740 SE, Eaton m90 supercharged b230F
1983 242 turbo t5 whiteblock swap (in progress) (He351, MS3x, WC T5)
1983 244 (6.0 lq4 Goldbox, twin HE351's 4L80e, Ford 9" straight line car, one day to be finished...)
1990 245 Mitsubishi 4D56 turbo diesel km132 transmission, water/meth
1983 245 m46 b230f Stahl header Toyota 4age ITBs MS2extra
Tentshedtrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
Ryan_R
Board Member

A is a better driver, but B is better than nothing. B has more overlap, so you'll need to get the revs up before you get "on the cam". T is a utter waste with an automatic.

With an A or B, get an adjustable timing gear and advance 4 degrees at the crank. All the bottom end torque you'd get from an M or T, but the engine will breathe until redline.

In my '91 745, I've run M, T, A, B and finally a B234.

-Ryan
1989 745 GLE
1991 745 --Regina powered B234F!
1995 945T -- Mildly modded
https://people.ohio.edu/ridgely/e-code.htm
Ryan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #22
InTheWhite
Board Member

I have tryed a lot of Volvo stock cam. With a manual trans i rekommend a VX, and with a auto the T cam.
InTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #23
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurrito View Post
The B cam is just a bit better than the A cam on almost every area. I'd just go with the B cam if you can get one for a good price, and if your engine accepts it.
Clarification: The B is just a bit better than the A cam at high rpm. B has more duration so a weaker bottom end and worse emissions. Considering they’re both factory camshafts, they are both fine and the differences are small. In an automatic car I would absolutely pick an A cam if I had a choice between the two. If it was B vs M cam, it would be the B cam for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnabisco View Post
Interesting about a "T" cam in an auto NA... I was mainly wondering about cam choice with the auto tranny, and trying to get good power/torque inside the auto RPM range.

Reed, how is climbing hills with the "A" cam?

I have come to like the auto tranny in ways, but what I find frustrating is going up hills and not really being able to match rpms and gear to get a good "pull". Uphill the auto tranny always seems to be in either too low or too high a gear. ??? With a strong motor (V15 or VX cam) and 5-speed I could climb hills much better.
T cam is a great budget choice for any stock, automatic equipped car. It has lower duration than the M so it increases your dynamic compression ratio and gives the engine more torque. It ALSO has more intake lift than the M cam!

Climbing hills with the A cam is better that the M cam. The A has basically no downside what so ever, when advanced a couple degrees and only gives up a tiny bit off idle otherwise.

The V15 NA cam was good in my stock auto 244 as well, but did give up some low end. I would have loved it advanced 2-4 degrees though, even with the auto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
I don't have any personal experience w/ T cam + n/a, but here is some reading:
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=305342
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=198184
The Info saying the T is worse than the M is wrong... T is a faster cam than the M, for sure. It just feels boring because the power and is soooooopo flat. I dropped .3s in the 1/4 mile in a “stock” 87, auto 244. Only “mods” were the hot air intake was open to the front of the car, the ignition timing was advanced(16-18? Can’t remember) and i played with camshaft timing(RETARDED 4 degrees). Oh, tighter valve clearances too(.013”?), in order to maximize the minimal duration and lift. 17.3 to a 17.6 with similar mods and the M cam. In this setup, the T cam pulled ok to 5000rpm and my fastest time was set holding it in 1st gear to at least 5500 rpm.

The T IS worth running in any car that is stock, automatic and used under 3000rpm most of the time. In my situation, the car would launch from a stop faster than most of traffic and get up to speed surprisingly quick without ever going over 3000rpm. Guess what, higher dynamic compression and more ignition advance also help gas mileage...
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnabisco View Post
Wanting to swap a cam into my NA 94 945 auto.

I put an IPD VX in another automatic 945 I have and it seems OK. Can feel a difference, but not the same as running a manual tranny (where you can control the rpm more).

Thinking of an "A" cam or "B" cam for the other 945.

Anybody run either the "A" or "B" in a 940 automatic? Impressions?

Thanks for any input.
Cams don't "make moare torque", Engine volume x compression--dynamic compression---= torque>

I've been avoiding this place because of administrative misbehavior going unpunished for years but this 'what cam" thing drives me nucking futs..
Dreaming one limp-dick OEM emissions cam is going to do anything worth a damn and having those dreams reinforced by well meaning members.....fu fu fu fawk.

You want to do something that when you're done you're going to really smile and smile every time you drive your car?

Then pull the head--so simple it is not even funny---and mill the head 1mm/ .040" to 1.4mm or .056-060"

Then get a cam INTENDED to be a fun cam.

Then you'll feel you've done something worthwhile.

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #25
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Clarification: The B is just a bit better than the A cam at high rpm. B has more duration so a weaker bottom end and worse emissions. Considering they’re both factory camshafts, they are both fine and the differences are small. In an automatic car I would absolutely pick an A cam if I had a choice between the two. If it was B vs M cam, it would be the B cam for sure!

T cam is a great budget choice for any stock, automatic equipped car. It has lower duration than the M so it increases your dynamic compression ratio and gives the engine more torque. It ALSO has more intake lift than the M cam!

Climbing hills with the A cam is better that the M cam. The A has basically no downside what so ever, when advanced a couple degrees and only gives up a tiny bit off idle otherwise.

The V15 NA cam was good in my stock auto 244 as well, but did give up some low end. I would have loved it advanced 2-4 degrees though, even with the auto!

The Info saying the T is worse than the M is wrong... T is a faster cam than the M, for sure. It just feels boring because the power and is soooooopo flat. I dropped .3s in the 1/4 mile in a “stock” 87, auto 244. Only “mods” were the hot air intake was open to the front of the car, the ignition timing was advanced(16-18? Can’t remember) and i played with camshaft timing(RETARDED 4 degrees). Oh, tighter valve clearances too(.013”?), in order to maximize the minimal duration and lift. 17.3 to a 17.6 with similar mods and the M cam. In this setup, the T cam pulled ok to 5000rpm and my fastest time was set holding it in 1st gear to at least 5500 rpm.

The T IS worth running in any car that is stock, automatic and used under 3000rpm most of the time. In my situation, the car would launch from a stop faster than most of traffic and get up to speed surprisingly quick without ever going over 3000rpm. Guess what, higher dynamic compression and more ignition advance also help gas mileage...
Oh yeah, forgot it was for an auto. Does an A make a difference over a B in an auto? I was thinking about in manuals.
GeneralBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote