• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MoCounselor's Project Thorisdottir (Annie, For Short)

Fuel pump relays.

Hmm..I swapped them once before, which is part of what got it running the first time. I can hear the pump kick on if I just trip the ignition slightly without actually fully cranking it over. If it is them again, any idea why they would have went so quickly? (I've put MAYBE 75miles on the car total since I got it up and running.

Could a really clogged fuel filter cause this?

Just to clarify, it lost as power, as in motor. It still has power as far as all the dash lights, ignition, etc.

I just noticed that it is making a loud noise from the rear of the car when it is cranking that I never noticed before. I took a video of it and I'll post the link here as soon as it uploads.

Here's the link to the video where you can hear a loud noise coming from the rear once the key is let off.

iframe>

Sounds a lot like the intank fuel pump. Maybe the sock on it tried to suck up some crap in the tank. The crap clogged the pump enough and made it work really hard and maybe stressed out the relays too. Do you have one of those intank fuel pump puller tools? I'd pull that assembly out and see what it looks like.

What a shame since that paint came out awesome!

Yeah, it sucks.

I've traced down the loud noise as coming from the external/primary pump under the car.

I don't have a specific tool to pull the pump out of the tank. Any links to where I could pick one up?

Thanks to Patrick/Tuff240 helping me troubleshoot this, it's been narrowed down to a fuel delivery problem. Jumping the primary fuel pump to where it was running continuously and then disconnecting the primary fuel line feeding the fuel rail resulted in a small trickle of fuel for about 20 seconds, then no fuel coming out at all, even though the pump was still running.

So, Wednesday I'll be pulling the sending unit to inspect everything.

I have a get together with my local German car club (I'm the token swede/or an honorary member depending on who you ask,) so keep your fingers crossed that I can get it fixed by then gents!

Beautiful interior!

Yeah, I am totally jealous!! I've been keeping an eye out to do the same kind of thing with my car, using a leather late model BMW sport interior, in that light tan color. But that black looks great, and you can't beat the price!!

The paint also looks killer. Keep up the good work!!

Mini-update:

I'm awaiting some parts from IPD and FCP Euro in order to further dive into the fuel issues on the car, so today I decided to do a little cosmetic rehab on the new to me brake booster that I picked up from KJets on here:

This was my starting point. Pretty solid overall (Thanks James,) but just a bit of surface corrosion coming up on the front face:
27225529561_ab75547b5e_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5002 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]
27295290125_5914355a3d_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5001 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]

After blocking off the opening for the check valve, I took a wire wheel on my corded Makita to it to remove the corrosion, sprayed the whole booster, with Rustoleum Rust Inhibitor paint/primer, than put three coats of Duplicolor gloss black brake caliper paint on it. Here are the results:

27225538001_bef881172b_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5007 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]
27295293925_94fcedbfc5_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5012 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]

Unfortunately, my parts from IPD are on back order, so it'll be about 10 days before I have what I need here to delve further into figuring out what is going on with the fuel system. There are plenty of other little projects I can take on though, like refurbishing the wiper arms, pulling the rear under-tray that goes behind the non-existent muffler off to straighten and paint it, etc, etc.

Another update, no pics on this one though.

Plans are formulating for the drivetrain. It will be VERY slow going, as it will take awhile to amass the parts for it, but I've located a trans locally that is what I need for $300 in known, good condition. It's a Nissan Z32 trans. I'll just leave it at that and see what kind of conjecture it will cause...:rofl:

So, I got the fuel sending unit out of the tank today. That is definitely at least part of the fueling problem I am having, as the piece of rubber hose that is supposed to connect the lift-pump to the feed line for the primary pump was completely gone. I can only assume that it rotted enough that it fell off into the tank. So, there was NOTHING connecting the lift pump to the main line that feeds the primary. :omg:

27245012701_b14688701a_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5087 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]

In addition, the sending unit as a whole looks fairly crusty, and the fuel sock is torn and in really bad shape. So, I'm thinking that a new sending unit from IPD is in order.

27217922702_5c05ed1dbe_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5088 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]

In addition, shining a light into the tank revealed a fair amount of scale on the surface that I could see, so I'm wondering if I'm better off to just grab a new tank and replace it too. I've seen some aftermarket ones on eBay for about $145.00 shipped. Does anyone have any experience with these?

(Here are a couple of pics showing the scale in the tank.)
27217923412_01bb2716da_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5086 by moguitarman76, on Flick
27245013581_a04ec6f04f_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_5085 by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]r[/IMG]

I'd probably just replace the pump, rubber hose and sock. I bet it will run a lot better with all that replaced but given the overall state of the tank it might just due the same thing in a few miles as the sock gets full of debris from the tank. Can you just pull that tank out and refinish it?

Cars hate sitting and this proves it! Keep on plugging away and you'll get through these resurrection issues in no time.

So, I got the fuel sending unit out of the tank today. That is definitely at least part of the fueling problem I am having, as the piece of rubber hose that is supposed to connect the lift-pump to the feed line for the primary pump was completely gone. I can only assume that it rotted enough that it fell off into the tank. So, there was NOTHING connecting the lift pump to the main line that feeds the primary. :omg:

Typical.

In addition, the sending unit as a whole looks fairly crusty, and the fuel sock is torn and in really bad shape. So, I'm thinking that a new sending unit from IPD is in order.

Or a good JY pull and avoid the china-bay crap.

In addition, shining a light into the tank revealed a fair amount of scale on the surface that I could see, so I'm wondering if I'm better off to just grab a new tank and replace it too. I've seen some aftermarket ones on eBay for about $145.00 shipped. Does anyone have any experience with these?

They are thin and tinny sounding I'd avoid them.

A good mom and pop JY pull or post in wanted and avoid the china-bay crap.

(Here are a couple of pics showing the scale in the tank.)

She's done Jim unless you want to spend ~ $250 refurbishing it at a radiator shop.

Back