• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adrian's '78 245 DL+16v

I think I had a turbo compressor seal issue when I filled the catch can at an autoX. Once I rebuilt my T3, no problems, but I also revised my hose arrangement. When pulling vacuum through the can, I think it was sucking oil out of the engine via the breather box (not sure if this was a side effect of not having the drain back tube under the breather box). So I switched to a vented catch can with a filter...no more catch can filling.

I've also noticed a difference in the consistancy of the fluid in the catch can. Before, it would be close to clean oil. Now, it's runnier and seems to be more water and less oil by percentage. Still not quite a frothy milkshake, but not clean oil either. There is smoke sometimes coming out of the can at idle and in boost and in between at times...so I've got some ring issues more than likely.

Give it a compression test and then do a wet test if it's low.

I think I had a turbo compressor seal issue when I filled the catch can at an autoX. Once I rebuilt my T3, no problems, but I also revised my hose arrangement. When pulling vacuum through the can, I think it was sucking oil out of the engine via the breather box (not sure if this was a side effect of not having the drain back tube under the breather box). So I switched to a vented catch can with a filter...no more catch can filling.

That sounds like the catch can I'm running - it's the Jegs special with just a hose into it and a filter on top. It's definitely possible the turbo's huffing a bit, my drain isn't as ideal as I'd like. i'll pop off an IC hose and see if it's got any in it. How would it be entering the breather box though if the turbo's huffing it, just vaporized oil in getting into the cylinders & making it around valve seals & rings?

Do you still have the return tube out of the breather box?

Return/drain-back hose is not there on mine.

When there's a hose from the catch can to turbo so that vacuum is pulled on the crankcase, it will suck oil out of the engine through the hose from the breather box to the catch can. Won't happen if there's no source of vacuum on the engine, though...so it would have to get blown out of the engine because of excessive blowby and pressure in the crankcase.

Compression test done, 190-195 across the board. Plugs read lean on #4 and rich on #2 - injectors are freshly balanced, but it might be an imbalance in the exhaust manifold. I'll be keeping an eye on #4 moving forward.

Unfortunately this still begs the question of where the oil's coming from, I'm grabbing my spare B234 tonight and putting it on the stand to see if there's any way to pull the drain tube from the breather box without popping off the pan.

ipd is in sight!

tumblr_l2yjgr7S5V1qzolu5o1_500.jpg

new sprangs & rsi adjusters

Scottyd wins the prize, clunk was a loose gland nut. :-D

It's up in the air right now, I'm test fitting Ben's power rack, mounting the pump, and rerouting the intake plumbing because it runs through where the P/S pump needs to live.
Also going to route the wastegate back into the downpipe, since I've had my fun and I want to be able to hear again, and also since it's throwing off my wideband readings.

Lots & lots of pipe cutting today, gone through like 2 hacksaw blades, and my arm is pooped. If I keep this up I'll have one huge arm and look like a true volvo nerd.

Back