home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #26
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patestrickland View Post
Does he bottom out or hit bump stops often?
He hits the bump stops every day, but that's because he drives like a kart racer on crappy mountain roads.
We hit bump stops on stock 240's and my lifted 240 as well. It's just the roads and how we drive, not the suspension.

-Patrick

Last edited by Tuff240; 10-25-2017 at 09:17 PM..
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #27
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Buy the IPD stuff when it's on sale and call it a day.

Their springs are as low as is practicable, and you'll save a bunch of money when it's all said and done.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 AM   #28
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Here, I just threw this together real quick on how to cut the springs on a 240:

http://www.tuff242.com/lowering.htm
Old 10-26-2017, 03:18 AM   #29
benski
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Buy the IPD stuff when it's on sale and call it a day.

Their springs are as low as is practicable, and you'll save a bunch of money when it's all said and done.
This. In a nutshell. Bring lots more money and effort if you want to significantly exceed the limits of the IPD stuff. Most people will crash before they can find or exceed the limits of what IPD offers, IMO.
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #30
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by benski View Post
This. In a nutshell. Bring lots more money and effort if you want to significantly exceed the limits of the IPD stuff. Most people will crash before they can find or exceed the limits of what IPD offers, IMO.
The limit would be defined by ones driving talent, not necessarily the springs. I'll out drive your 240 on IPD springs with my 240 on cut springs. Then we can switch cars and I'll out drive you on the IPD springs.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #31
57plymouth
Board Member

Here's my junk on IPD springs. This is the cheapest thing short of cut springs, and it is as low as I want it. You may want to go lower, but for how I use this car (like a truck and a daily driver) it is how I want it. It actually lowered my car 2 inches all the way around measured.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #32
petiww
Board Member

My car misses 1.5 coils from the front left, and two coils from the front right. Dont ask why, it leaned to the drivers side. Occasionally I wish i only cut 1/1,5 coil, because it hits bumpstops on hard turns or bumps.
But at least its not super low, the lowest point of the airdam still have a clearance of ~17cms, and when i put some stuff in the trunk or 4-5 ppl in the car, it sits level, as in my signature pic.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #33
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Quote:
Originally Posted by FezMonki View Post
That kind of makes me want to buy from him more. Not that I have any problem whatsover with homosexuals, I just reserve my right to make homophobic jokes. And to tell a lot of people they should kill themselves. Daily almost.
Well you're probably a terrible person and a bad representation for your company as well.

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #34
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from classic swede. The owner tells people they should kill themselves and makes homophobic remarks.

I only tell those who enjoy crushing classic Volvo's that killing themself would be a good idea. I feel no shame in having that opinion and will stick to it.

As to homophobc remarks I have no idea bound to have made a few just as I will tell jokes about Welsh folk making love to sheep myself incuded. You have to be able to take a joke before you tell one. Where you plant your sausage has nothing to do with me nor anyone other than those you do it with.

With your comment matching that of a very arrogant guy on Face Book by the name of Brandon Porter I asume you are one and the same. I have seen many comments from you on the turbo bricks group that have been well past the mark of banter and talking absolute rubbish slagging of car builds and all in all having a habit of being a nasty pasty. I'm sure face to face you are a nice chap but you really should take a look at how you conduct yourself on the internet especially Face Book.

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #35
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patestrickland View Post
Hey, I recently bought a 245 and have been considering the classicswede lowering springs. I am torn between the 60/40 mm and the 80/60mm lowering springs. If anyone has these springs on there car could you post them please?
The big question is how are you usingt he car as in road condions and loading. Also what is the look you are hoping to get with wheel fitement?

Cut coils is not a great idea with 30 odd year old springs and I'm yet to find a 240 that even drives half decent on cut original springs
Old 10-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #36
benski
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
The limit would be defined by ones driving talent, not necessarily the springs. I'll out drive your 240 on IPD springs with my 240 on cut springs. Then we can switch cars and I'll out drive you on the IPD springs.
You're on.
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #37
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Cut coils is not a great idea with 30 odd year old springs and I'm yet to find a 240 that even drives half decent on cut original springs
How many lowered 240's have you driven?
How many 240's have you cut springs on?
How much do you usually cut off?
Do you trim the bump stops?
Why is it not a good idea to cut 30 year old springs?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #38
57plymouth
Board Member

This thread is going places...
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #39
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by benski View Post
You're on.
Cool, it's always fun crushing someone in their own car.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #40
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

I see that was over six years ago. You're six years older, and six years slower. Losing only hurts the first time.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #41
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

^This guy cones

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #42
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:
How many lowered 240's have you driven?
How many 240's have you cut springs on?
How much do you usually cut off?
Do you trim the bump stops?
Why is it not a good idea to cut 30 year old springs?
I could not say how many lowered 240's I have driven but must be well over 500, likely to be more.
On cut springs sub 100 on 200 series
I dont cut springs but have done years gone by. 1 or 2 coils up front will work but at the back cutting the springs results in zero load capacity
If lowering more than the 50mm ish front bump stops must be trimmed or binned

as springs age they become more prone to cracking and will have also sagged, springs do not last forever even volvo ones
Old 10-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #43
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:
Cool, it's always fun crushing someone in their own car.
That is a great idea but no Volvos just stick them in a Honda
Old 10-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #44
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
I see that was over six years ago. You're six years older, and six years slower. Losing only hurts the first time.
Normally, yes, but we started racing karts again so I'm actually faster now.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #45
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
I could not say how many lowered 240's I have driven but must be well over 500, likely to be more.
On cut springs sub 100 on 200 series
I dont cut springs but have done years gone by. 1 or 2 coils up front will work but at the back cutting the springs results in zero load capacity
If lowering more than the 50mm ish front bump stops must be trimmed or binned

as springs age they become more prone to cracking and will have also sagged, springs do not last forever even volvo ones
Sounds like you are full of it. 1 coil in front is barely noticeable at all since it's a dead coil. 2 is great. They ride and handle better. Beyond 2.5 in front they get worse the more you cut.

Zero load capacity?
Strange, I haul 150-300 pound motorcycles hanging off the back all the time with no problems at all.
Carry multiple sets of wheels and tires, motor and tranny, anything that will fit inside a 242/245. I've used them to move all of my belonging multiple times.

Loaded this up to the ceiling and towed the trailer over a mountain pass and 12 hours one way, twice.

I used this to haul vintage motorcycles all over:

And I even used my super low 242 to help move a friend across town. Loaded from trunk to ceiling.

And while I do have 3 240's currently on shortened coil-overs and understand it is better, most of my 240's I own and have owned over the years have been on cut springs. Not to mention the countless others I have cut for friends or "customers" that are still driven on every day.

In 20+ years of driving, track days and autox 240's with cut springs, I have never had one single failure or even a problem related to the cut springs.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #46
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Quote:
I only tell those who enjoy crushing classic Volvo's that killing themself would be a good idea. I feel no shame in having that opinion and will stick to it.

As to homophobc remarks I have no idea bound to have made a few just as I will tell jokes about Welsh folk making love to sheep myself incuded. You have to be able to take a joke before you tell one. Where you plant your sausage has nothing to do with me nor anyone other than those you do it with.
The irony of you telling me to take a joke is that you told someone to kill themselves repeatedly on a post that was a joke. He made a joke when he sold a 240 that he sold it to the crusher. You're just right full of hypocracies.
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #47
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from classic swede. The owner tells people they should kill themselves and makes homophobic remarks.

Personal experience, with shocks that were seized: he was responsive, helpful and quick to respond once he was made aware of the issue. He followed up, etc... Never told me to jump off a cliff or made homophobic jokes that I know of.

Edit, now that I see page 2: sheep f***ing is not gay love. Let's mix apples and oranges please.

Last edited by matt b; 10-26-2017 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Read page 2
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #48
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Quote:

In 20+ years of driving, track days and autox 240's with cut springs, I have never had one single failure or even a problem related to the cut springs.
I know you are a very big fan boy of cutting springs and nothing anyone tells you will change your mind.

We all know about the issues of when cutting goes too far the springs falling out but thats down to doing it wrong rather than an issue with the springs.
I have only seen a few 240 springs break so far but that number is going to rise as they are getting older. Amazon springs are very common to see broken. In the UK they dump tons of salt on the roads so that does not help with springs life.

As to load capacity I have found myself that the rear springs are way too soft and cutting them only makes the poor load capability worse. It is not just my opinion but I get many customers who have tried the cut springs path calling asking if my lowerings springs will hold up to loading as with cut springs putting a couple of passengers in the back has the car scraping along the floor at the back
Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #49
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
I know you are a very big fan boy of cutting springs and nothing anyone tells you will change your mind.

We all know about the issues of when cutting goes too far the springs falling out but thats down to doing it wrong rather than an issue with the springs.
I have only seen a few 240 springs break so far but that number is going to rise as they are getting older. Amazon springs are very common to see broken. In the UK they dump tons of salt on the roads so that does not help with springs life.

As to load capacity I have found myself that the rear springs are way too soft and cutting them only makes the poor load capability worse. It is not just my opinion but I get many customers who have tried the cut springs path calling asking if my lowerings springs will hold up to loading as with cut springs putting a couple of passengers in the back has the car scraping along the floor at the back
Our climates are very different. We can and do drive our cars every day of the year for years and not have to worry about rust or it's effects. If a car here has a rust hole, I'll generally just crush it because there are plenty to choose from that have zero rust.

If someone is complaining about cut springs scraping due to a couple extra passengers, they probably cut them too far in the first place. If done in moderation with some common sense, there is nothing wrong with cut springs. It's just a shorter spring, much like an aftermarket one is.

I think you sell the lowest aftermarket springs at 80mm front and 60mm rear, correct?
All of my daily driven cut spring cars are lower than that. Probably in the 100-130mm range.
However, if it's a car I'm going to use on a track, it most likely would have shortened coil-overs or not that low.

Last edited by Tuff240; 10-27-2017 at 06:00 AM..