• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

First meeting: Portland Volvo club

NChoy

18 bricks and counting
300+ Club
Date: Sunday, Feb. 29, 2004
Time: 11am
Place: Burgerville Restaurant, SE Hawthorne Blvd. and SE 12th Ave. (Enter from SE 12th, or Hawthorne)
Parking: In the Burgerville lot. There is overflow parking on the side streets as well.
Agenda:
- Nomination and election of club officers
- Creation of club's mission statement and vision
- Compilation of distribution/contact/member list
- Discussion of tech/performance network
- Discussion of ideas for club name (discussion of possible t-shirts, stickers, etc... bring your sketches!)
- Calendar of events for 2004-2005 (think about what you'd like to see happen in our region)
- Assignment of "duties"
- Misc. Volvo discussions
- Chocolate Hazelnut shake consumption

This club will be open to all Volvo owners. People with an interest in Volvos (and those who don't currently own a Volvo, but want to), are also encouraged to attend. For now, we'll keep this as an organizational meeting, and will build a club based on what comes out of this discussion. The meetings may grow into a more "formal" and regular proceeding in the near future.

This club will be affiliated with the VCOA, so VCOA members are also strongly encouraged to make this meeting.

I also encourage the principles of IPD and MVP to attend, as this will benefit not only Volvo enthusiasts, but also the companies that offer performance parts and service.

We have a lot of Volvo owners here in Portland... let's build a totallly kick-ass club and do some awesome/fun stuff!

Thanks for doing all the planning Nick. You picked a the perfect location... 10 blocks from my house and great milkshakes. See ya'll there.
CK

damn dude, i wish i could be there, i really want to hear all this stuff and be a part in this but i work all day tomorow, hopefully someone could post the main discusion topics and what was decided? also for future reference, i can get any days off i need, i just need to know a bit more ahead of time, so maybe you guys could bring up when the next meeting is gonna be and i will make every effort to be there

jared

coldfusion21 said:
damn dude, i wish i could be there, i really want to hear all this stuff and be a part in this but i work all day tomorow, hopefully someone could post the main discusion topics and what was decided? also for future reference, i can get any days off i need, i just need to know a bit more ahead of time, so maybe you guys could bring up when the next meeting is gonna be and i will make every effort to be there

jared

I have to admit this was sort of last minute... planned this week, posted on Friday. But keep in mind this is just to spec out some ideas and brainstorm. I think the next meeting will be heavier into the nitty gritty of the club. I think sometime in the next couple of weeks I would like to schedule the next meeting. Perhaps we can even coordinate it with the March 20th Volvo work day at Tony's house in Albany.

im gunna try to make it, i'll probably be there with dj ecko

yea its no prob, i know you mentioned it earlier in the week. i will definatly be at the next one and i was thinking maybe we could do it on the 21st ( the sunday after the work day) somehwere here in portland, that way the people that are here in portland downt have to come all the way to albany (i supose its not a huge drive and i will be doing it anyways) just more of a convience item, also might convince a few more people to come.

Just missing things left and right with the Volvo guys.
Was driving back from Coos Bay that morning. Had no idea till now that it happened till now as I didnt have a chance to check the board since Thursday.

Thanks for doing the planning Nick. Count me in still.
What was compiled from the meeting?

thanks
take care

Taken from my notes:

We brainstormed some ideas for a club name, talked about some of the visions and goals for the club, and spoke about the next meeting. We also determined that there is quite a bit of interest in a Portland club, but for exposure, support, and involvement, I'm going to tie this club directly into the Portland VCOA chapter.

This meeting was primarily informational, and a "get to know you" meeting as well as trading contact info. With the list I compiled on Sunday, plus previous distribution lists I've had from before, I should be able to put together a pretty good list of members/prospective members. I'll pass around a rough draft of the contact list next time and have everyone correct their respective info, as well as add info if you're not on the list.

We all agreed that our next discussion/meeting will be at Tony's Volvo Tech day at his house on March 20th. We should probably start off that discussion by picking a club name, then assign logo design duties and figure out stickers (quantity, color, etc). We can also discuss some positions and assignments within the club, and wrap things up by discussing our April meeting/event. (Yesterday we also determined that meetings are boring, so we'd rather plan events, and talk about club stuff during the event). To those interested in being in the club who weren't at the first meeting... think about a cool club name, maybe a logo or two, event ideas that we can plan as a group (and it doesn't have to be related only to our Volvos, though it's more fun that way). One suggestion was BBQs and go-kart racing. There's a lot more we can do as a group with common interests. Tony's tech day is one of those "other" related things.

For all those who made it, I appreciate your coming. For those who couldn't make it, I apologize for the last minute notice. The next meeting will have more people in attendance, and we can get into the 'nitty gritty' of our club.

Today at school I made a T-shirt. It has the picture from the last drive and says "to fast to swedish" at the top and "Pacific Northwest volvo club" at the bottom. ill see how it comes out. If it works then i can make a few more.

86volvo740gle said:
Today at school I made a T-shirt. It has the picture from the last drive and says "to fast to swedish" at the top and "Pacific Northwest volvo club" at the bottom. ill see how it comes out. If it works then i can make a few more.

I'm thinking "Pacific Northwest Volvo Club" is a good name for the club.

I can put together a few logos as well. I'm building two websites for some people, so I'll try to fit it in between those projects and have something for all of you to look at on March 20th at Tony's house.

Cute saying by they way, but I think you mean "too" instead of "to".

jamomac said:
How about "Northwest Volvos" just to shorten it down a bit, it might be easier to make stickers and stuff that way.

Or Northwest Volvo Club. (I'm trying to make it not sound too much like a repair shop's name).

I see one problem with NW Volvo club, when I think of NW I think of Oregon, Washington and Idaho. I think if you are gonna call it that it should include people from all of these states and from all parts of these states. Maybe adding Pacific would help cut out ID? But I dont know, just a heads up, its your club name it accordingly.

Back