• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Nice, you weren't lying when you said the volvo has a huge engine bay.
I've got mine in now and although there is space, that huge starter is scaring me :p.

Yeah plenty of room for nice headers :) Although the stock manifolds do fit exactly. Do you have a build thread for your miata somewhere too? Curious to see how this massive thing fits.

I'm really impressed.

Thanks!

This thing is awesome. I knew I should have pulled that engine along with bmw v12 when they were right next to each other at local yard. Both with ~120k miles...

But I already have 2003 and 97 m3 engines and 85 2.3 16v Mercedes sitting ...

What gold insulation did you use? How do those hold up

They'll probably still be around in junkyards for a while, they are quite cheap normally as there isn't a huge market for them. M3 engine is a fantastic engine too, what are your plans for those?

The gold foil I got from ebay, seems to hold up fine. We'll see how it'll hold over time.

I hate how you make me feel lazy, could you do me a favour, and just put the project off for like 5 years? That'd be great, thanks.
Haha thanks, I did that already. This is the post 5 year putting it off phase of the project

I've made a page on fb so it has a bit of reach outside the forums so you can check it out there.

https://www.facebook.com/V12Miata

I don't want to jack your thread, so I'll just leave this one pic here :p.

43747888_962906780567525_8978520078773387264_o.jpg

On another note. how deep is your sump at the lowest point now? I think I can juuust about make it fit under the bonnet if I manage to keep the sump at about 3cm's over the steering rack.

Thanks!

Had time to work on it again, replaced the plastic tubes from the crankcase ventilation that always crack and cause a vacuum leak for aluminium ones. There is no way to get to them anymore once the plates that go on the heads below the intake.

Then I got started with the intake. Cut the plenums off of a spare intake I had to get an idea for how to make them. I'm using the center section from the original manifold, including the injector setup and fuel rails etc. I'll cut the runners off even further towards the intake ports than shown here in the pictures, and then weld on some alu bends again with the correct diameter for the itbs. The itbs will end up sitting closer to the intake ports than here. The port shape at the point where I cut them initially is a bit weird and they are not all the same there. The front most cylinders are squashed flat and appear to flow a lot less than the other 10. This was done for hood clearance in the S600, but because I put the engine in as low as I could, I have a bit more space for the front ones.

But since it is still nice weather outside, I'm working on the exhaust manifolds first. Made 12 transitions from oval to round and now it's puzzle time. I'm making the runners as equal in length as I can, given the space restrictions of having 12 of them crammed in there.

On another note. how deep is your sump at the lowest point now? I think I can juuust about make it fit under the bonnet if I manage to keep the sump at about 3cm's over the steering rack.

Thanks for the link, following too :) What exactly do you mean by how deep?

Last edited:
Aww yeah, header time. Thats gotta be the best part of the build and I'm looking forward to doing it :p.
Any reason why you're going for itb's? The stock intake looks awesome and is known to be able to flow an absolute ton of air.
I'm just putting 2 ali express throttles on mine for simplicity.

About the sump, I meant how thick is it from the flange to the bottom at its most shallow part over the subframe?

Aww yeah, header time. Thats gotta be the best part of the build and I'm looking forward to doing it :p.
Any reason why you're going for itb's? The stock intake looks awesome and is known to be able to flow an absolute ton of air.

About the sump, I meant how thick is it from the flange to the bottom at its most shallow part over the subframe?

Clearly he is going ITB because: 12 F'ING THROTTLES :)

What EFI are you using on this?

My main reason is that it weighs a ton, the stock manifold with TBs is around 23kg. I would have to mod it anyway to fit, so might as well go full bananas and do ITBs because a V12 needs ITBs in my world. Also, I don't like how Mercedes just squashed the runners of the most forward 2 cilinders without making them wider, to get hood clearance. At their flattest point, they are almost half the size of the other runners.

Exhibit A:

Clearly he is going ITB because: 12 F'ING THROTTLES :)

What EFI are you using on this?

Exactly, this. I'm planning on using MS3pro, although I'm tempted by the MaxxEcu Pro.

Love this thread, how do those motors handle low boost? A remote mount turbon would be pretty sick

Thanks, they seem to be ok with that, although I can't find any info at all if they last long or not. It's not a very common thing to do. There is more than enough space in the 740 bay to do a twin turbo setup, but I'm keeping it N/A for now.

Last edited:
Hell yes, this will be badass. I was so worried about idle issues etc on mine with the ITBs but they've given me zero trouble. I do realize you're running 7 more than me though :-P

I must have missed it in the thread, what are the throttles off of originally?

Good work, keep it up!

I'd love the noise of itb's but can't deal with the extra space they take up.
Other than that 2 throttles are annoying enough to synch already :p.

Where did you get the collectors by the way? The rest of the bends look like simons ones, but they don't do collectors.
Are you planning on welding them on or using the slip fit?

As for the m120's holding boost. Theres anecdotal evidence they can take half a pound without problems, but on the other hand the aluminium cylinders and corresponding low friction piston rings don't really like high compression.

Hell yes, this will be badass. I was so worried about idle issues etc on mine with the ITBs but they've given me zero trouble. I do realize you're running 7 more than me though :-P

I must have missed it in the thread, what are the throttles off of originally?

Good work, keep it up!

Thanks :) good to know you don't have any issues with them. What mode do you use on MS3 to run them? They are off of a 01-02 GSXR 1000. These you can separate into individual parts and space them out to the new cilinder spacing. 42mm throttle diameter.

I'd love the noise of itb's but can't deal with the extra space they take up.
Other than that 2 throttles are annoying enough to synch already :p.

Where did you get the collectors by the way? The rest of the bends look like simons ones, but they don't do collectors.
Are you planning on welding them on or using the slip fit?

As for the m120's holding boost. Theres anecdotal evidence they can take half a pound without problems, but on the other hand the aluminium cylinders and corresponding low friction piston rings don't really like high compression.

I can imagine it might be tight in a miata. I'll measure the lowest point of the oil sump once I work on it again. Because the engine is in there so low, the ITBs fit. There is about 6cm above the stock manifold at the front of the engine in the Volvo. Way more further back.

The collectors I got from ebay, somewhere in the UK. They are nicely made and cost less than the materials needed to make your own. I'll look for the link somewhere. The runners slip in, but I'll probably weld them in place too.

I must have missed it somewhere but why you went through the trouble of going 960MKII suspension ?
Several reasons, I like the setup better with the stronger single piece control arms, separate knuckles from the struts, massive lower chassis brace that connects the rear mounting points, and it changes the offset so I can mount high ET value wheels without spacers. It's the control arms that change the wheel offset, not the knuckles. If you were to use the 960II knuckles with the 740 control arms, it will give you an even lower (maybe even negative) offset than stock. Somewhere in the future I'm planning on making my own knuckles like what The Poi did here, that correct for the lowering, make the steering quicker and are made for the Cayenne calipers I'm using. But first I'll get it going like this. It's really not that much work to convert the suspension. Just need to change the rear mounting points on the chassis.

I think I've found them, about 40 pounds each, still a lot of money, but manageable :p.
You can't really weld a slip on collector though so you'll have to live with some leaking with a cold engine.

Thanks :) good to know you don't have any issues with them. What mode do you use on MS3 to run them? They are off of a 01-02 GSXR 1000. These you can separate into individual parts and space them out to the new cilinder spacing. 42mm throttle diameter.

I thought my throttles were from a '01 or '00, but I can't totally remember. I know they were cast as pairs, not individually like yours. I had to cut one of mine in half to make the center throttle body.

Finished tack welding the right hand side exhaust manifolds. Next up is the driver's side which will need to wrap around the steering column. Should be enough space though.

I also continued a bit with the intake. I cut the stock runners even further and will then weld on round tubing with the same diameter as the itb's and the rest of the stock runners. Should work out nicely. Where I cut them, the ports are straight and pretty much the same diameter. Just a bit more square but that is easily fixed. The wall thickness is more than enough to grind them to round 42mm like the itbs.

Spaced them out to the correct port spacing:

Last edited:
Sick! Just noticed how hoge those header pipes are. Are they 2" :p?

Thanks! No they are 42.4mm outside diameter. 38mm inside. There's just a lot of it :p The collectors go 3x42mm into 1 2" pipe. Then I plan on merging the 2 2" pipes into 1 2,5" on each side of the car.

That's a pretty strange size, about a mm larger than 1 5/8". Will they fit your collector?
I was planning on the same size as you exhaust wise, but not sure on the primaries yet :p.

That's a pretty strange size, about a mm larger than 1 5/8". Will they fit your collector?
I was planning on the same size as you exhaust wise, but not sure on the primaries yet :p.

Actually it's a pretty standard tubing size. The collectors are made for that size primaries. They go from 3x 42.4 into 1x 2".

You worried about those ITBs being too big? 12x 42mm is a lot of throttle body for a 400hp engine! Think you need some bigger cams for this beast :)

Back