• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 LH 2.4 Spark Issue

It's difficult to understand what's going on here. You say it idles now, but isn't misfiring!? What happens when you do a cylinder drop test at idle by unplugging injectors 2 or 3?

Your timing looks spot on. The aux shaft actually doesn't need to be timed as long as the rotor is indeed pointed at the number 1 notch at TDC.

It's difficult to understand what's going on here. You say it idles now, but isn't misfiring!? What happens when you do a cylinder drop test at idle by unplugging injectors 2 or 3?

Your timing looks spot on. The aux shaft actually doesn't need to be timed as long as the rotor is indeed pointed at the number 1 notch at TDC.

Hey ZVOLV, I know this is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced. The car has been starting, running rough, backfires, and garbage idle etc...But after a few minutes, it smooths out and the idle sounds great! I don't know why this would be? why would the idle smooth out and the car sound perfect, but when throttle is applied it chokes, backfires, and wants to die??? Im going to do the drop test now! Thanks so much

Glad it's doing better. Next time you're at the salvage yard, find a spare set of plug wires, cap, rotor to throw in the trunk for luck -- the plug wires should measure around 1500 to 3000 ohms, or they're toast already.

When you converted to LH2.4, what _engine_ parts did you swap or alter? Where did the parts come from? Known good or salvage yard specials?

The engine was swapped to a b230ft originally and hooked up to my old k jet system. The engine was out of a 91 940 turbo with all sensors. Ill measure the wires to be sure, but they work great on my other car. Thanks!

The plug wire resistance range was quoted from IPD. I checked a couple other places and a better check would be: all wires under 10,000 ohms resistance, and the plug wires fairly close to each other. The coil wire may not match as well.

If I understand correctly, you were running a B230FT with K-Jet fueling? If so, did you swap the head&intake from K-Jet to LH2.4? If not, did you install the EFI injectors into the K-Jet holes? What about K-Jet to LH2.4 distributor? And how about fuel pump relay - is the K-Jet one still installed?

Running really lean can allow it to idle, but not rev. Or ignition timing/cam timing.

Let's see the video. Youtube.

The plug wire resistance range was quoted from IPD. I checked a couple other places and a better check would be: all wires under 10,000 ohms resistance, and the plug wires fairly close to each other. The coil wire may not match as well.

If I understand correctly, you were running a B230FT with K-Jet fueling? If so, did you swap the head&intake from K-Jet to LH2.4? If not, did you install the EFI injectors into the K-Jet holes? What about K-Jet to LH2.4 distributor? And how about fuel pump relay - is the K-Jet one still installed?

I was running a b230ft with the k jet Christler system ignition timing set up. The intake is lh2.4 with full LH 2.4 and turbo 850 injectors.

Is that boost guage hooked up? I don't see it showing good vacuum.

If your engine was really only running on two cylinders, it would be shaking a LOT. Another trick is to put your hand over the tailpipe. A 4 cylinder is very easy to feel dead misfires in the exhaust stream.

It's really difficult to tell what's going on from here, but that may be a large air leak. I use a smoke machine.

What does the o2 sensor voltage say. I will look at your narrowband sensor reading again in that video. Ok, so I see it going max lean when you rev it. Not revving, and that sesnor pegging lean when you punch the throttle...makes me think lean is your problem.

Is that boost guage hooked up? I don't see it showing good vacuum.

If your engine was really only running on two cylinders, it would be shaking a LOT. Another trick is to put your hand over the tailpipe. A 4 cylinder is very easy to feel dead misfires in the exhaust stream.

It's really difficult to tell what's going on from here, but that may be a large air leak. I use a smoke machine.

What does the o2 sensor voltage say. I will look at your narrowband sensor reading again in that video. Ok, so I see it going max lean when you rev it. Not revving, and that sesnor pegging lean when you punch the throttle...makes me think lean is your problem.

The boost gauge is indeed hooked up to a vacuum line, and I agree that its weird about the readings on the gauge. I believe the engine is running on all four cylinders at this point, the vibration in the video is due to the poly engine mounts. Ill rig up a smoke machine tomorrow and check for more leaks, but the pressure test I did checked out fine. The 02 is checking out at 12v. I also agree that running lean is the problem, any thoughts as to what could cause this? I know all injectors are firing, and that the main fuel pump is running happily. Thanks

O2 sensor ranges from 0.1 volts to 0.9v.

It looks like you have a major mechanical issue like a huge air leak. If that guage is hooked up correctly you should see healthy vacuum. When you snap throttle, O2 sensor should go rich for a moment. I saw it peg lean.

It's tough to figure this one out from the bench. Good luck.

O2 sensor ranges from 0.1 volts to 0.9v.

It looks like you have a major mechanical issue like a huge air leak. If that guage is hooked up correctly you should see healthy vacuum. When you snap throttle, O2 sensor should go rich for a moment. I saw it peg lean.

It's tough to figure this one out from the bench. Good luck.

Update time,

I swung by to check on the progress on this, and was able to determine that the car had N/A injectors, and was doing all kinds of weird stuff as it was trying to reach Stoic.

New injectors for Turbo application and the car seems to be running mucho better.

Back