• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TCS/TRACS in the 80s? Someone hitting the pipe when they wrote that?

will740turbo

So I came across a wikipedia article that says Volvo introduced a TRACS/Traction Control System on a 760 in 1985... :omg::omg: Seems wrong. Really wrong.

But after spinning a tire combined with a road seam on an undermaintained overpass resulted in me totaling my 740, I've been trying to figure out a solution to stop wheel spin at freeway speeds. Seems like a TCS is what I want.

So is this some horrible typo and it was introduced in 1995, or was there actually a TCS on the 760s in 1985? Or is there some chance I could find a rear axle that has sensor rings on each axle so I could use an aftermarket version?

I'm not aware of any traction control available from volvo for these vehicles.

That being said, I've never had a problem with wheel spin at freeway speeds in any vehicle unless it was raining or snowing and in either case, I just slowed down.

ETC (electronic traction control) was an option on 7-series. Better tires, a limited slip diff or just better driving would be cheaper and easier to implement... I've used my right foot as traction control in all rwd vehicles I've driven/owned. Works pretty good.

If the car had ABS, it could be plausible to have some type of TCS. Like the ABS, I believe it would not be what is expected today. Retarding the timing with wheel spin wouldn't be that difficult.

I don't remember having a TRACS button on the dash of my 760TIC but I could just have a bad memory. The 850 series did get TRACS/ABS.

Having good tires and proper LSD will keep you from spinning your tires at high way speeds.

Having good dampers also would have helped prevent you from loosing control.

Having good tires and proper LSD will keep you from spinning your tires at high way speeds.

This.

#1 Performance upgrade is tires. Choose wisely as that is what makes contact with the pavement.

If the car had ABS, it could be plausible to have some type of TCS. Like the ABS, I believe it would not be what is expected today. Retarding the timing with wheel spin wouldn't be that difficult.

It does have ABS, but only three sensors. The rear wheels are controlled with a single sensor on the driveshaft. Maybe if a system could be based on how fast the driveshaft changes speeds...

AFAIK, all LSD stop working above about 25mph. I had looked into them and decided they wouldn't work because of those limitations.

AFAIK, all LSD stop working above about 25mph. I had looked into them and decided they wouldn't work because of those limitations.

A true clutch LSD like found in the pre 1991? Cars works at all speeds. Only the G80 is disabled to start locking above 25mph. Something like a truetrack or the offerings from Kaplhenke would be the best solution, together with good tires and suspension. My car isn't exactly fast but with the truetrack and stuff i can really precisely aim where it goes and it's easy to correct when it wants to step out.

About the traction control, yes, it was sold. I remember those cars had the abs pump in the trunk. Two sensors near the diff pumpkin where there are some pre cast holes and a switch on the dash. Recently Skandix still sold those wheel speed sensors.

About the traction control, yes, it was sold. I remember those cars had the abs pump in the trunk. Two sensors near the diff pumpkin where there are some pre cast holes and a switch on the dash. Recently Skandix still sold those wheel speed sensors.

Pretty neat, I wonder if those were popular on the 16V turbo cars? :oogle:

I'm thinking the easiest solution might be some kind of microcontroller that can calculate acceleration of the sensor in the driveshaft and ground the TPS "idle" pin. The LH2.4 ECU responds by ceasing ground pulses to the injectors until the switch opens.

Anyone good with Arduinos or PIC processors? It could be strictly on/off and run in parallel.

easiest solution is fixing the stuff on your car thats making it sketchy.

Sorry, not rich enough to repave the bridge.

In other words, the car was stage zeroed years before this happened and I drove it for years without issues. It happened at three am and in a split second. Not my fault, not the point.

Last edited:
Back