home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #26
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

follow culberro's line. If you used injectors from a turbo 740 in your car, without adding a resistor pack to your harness, you have fried injector drivers in ECU.
this will cause a rich state, very rich.

Sounds like you don't know about the difference between high res and low res injectors if you just know the color, which is not enough to tell.

don't swap in and ruin another ECU until you clear up and rule out this potential f up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Dammit, Lummert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #27
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Nope, but the sensor is near the gauge one. You're looking for a sensor under the intake that has an injector style connector on it. The body will be black plastic and brass.
it is possible to mistakenly swap I think the temp sensor, knock sensor, and perhaps the idle air valve and maybe cold start injector? have similar Bosch 2 wire plugs. Don't recall exact details, but check out this as a potential screw up too. the wire harness should fit as before, without "stretched" or weird routing. ultimately, check the harness colors to diagram to confirm
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #28
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
it is possible to mistakenly swap I think the temp sensor, knock sensor, and perhaps the idle air valve and maybe cold start injector? have similar Bosch 2 wire plugs. Don't recall exact details, but check out this as a potential screw up too. the wire harness should fit as before, without "stretched" or weird routing. ultimately, check the harness colors to diagram to confirm
Definitely a possibility. I did that exact thing on my first lh2.4 swap
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #29
Cwazywazy
Single jingle
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelbushey View Post
I have a set of yellow/ cream injectors.


These? Are you using a resistor pack or no?
__________________
I don't know what I have
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #30
abelbushey
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
This is very informative....
Yeahhhh. When I bought the car it came with a 95 percent complete turbo swap. Those were the injectors. I believe they came off a 850 but I could be mistaken. Next time I'm by the car I will see if there is a number on them. Als
abelbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 PM   #31
abelbushey
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post


These? Are you using a resistor pack or no?
Those look like what I have except mine would be faded a bit and no I am not using a resistor pack. If I do need one, is there a link to another form that goes over it?
abelbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #32
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Definitely a possibility. I did that exact thing on my first lh2.4 swap
Only a moron would screw up the high-low res thing on their first swap
yeah, I've done both these f'ups
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #33
Cwazywazy
Single jingle
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelbushey View Post
Those look like what I have except mine would be faded a bit and no I am not using a resistor pack. If I do need one, is there a link to another form that goes over it?
I believe those should work without a resistor pack?
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:09 PM   #34
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelbushey View Post
Those look like what I have except mine would be faded a bit and no I am not using a resistor pack. If I do need one, is there a link to another form that goes over it?
add turbobricks to your google searches, and you will find all you need
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #35
abelbushey
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
I believe those should work without a resistor pack?
I assume if they needed a resistor pack and didn't have one the car wouldn't run at all.
abelbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #36
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
Only a moron would screw up the high-low res thing on their first swap
yeah, I've done both these f'ups
I had the resistor pack, but I didn't label the 2-pin JPT sections of the harness. It doesn't run well when those are all mixed up.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #37
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelbushey View Post
I assume if they needed a resistor pack and didn't have one the car wouldn't run at all.
It would run exactly as you have described, which is why I asked.

If you have thin plastic injectors, they are probably high-z (high resistance, around 13-15 ohms), and you probably dodged that bullet.
If they have a fat black or silver body and a plastic part on top, you may have low-z (low resistance, ~3ohms).
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #38
shoestring
Board Member
 
shoestring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swampscott, 01907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa182 View Post
The NA engines don't have a resistor pack? Unless I misread what you're saying.
No they do not. The resistance is in the injector.
__________________
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #39
shoestring
Board Member
 
shoestring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swampscott, 01907
Default

Is this rich condition and chugging at part throttle, WOT, etc? Do you have an exhaust leak pre O2 that's pulling a bunch of air?
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #40
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

I would not at all be surprised if the problem is the 560 ECU. Those are notorious for failing, resulting in all kinds of issues, including rich conditions. I have not encountered one in 15+ years because they were always replaced with a later version 939 EGR Turbo ECU. See if you can borrow a known good 939, 937, 954, 967 ECU to check whether that is the problem.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #41
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante
 
redblockpowered's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In bed, probably
Default

I have a functional 560 sitting right here, also. Looks like it was repaired under warranty.
__________________
1993 944 B230FT/M90 thread here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=345277
2x 1991 245 B230F/M47 (LeMons car, street car)
I sell chips for LH 2.4!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #42
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelbushey View Post
Is this the same sensor that will send a signal to the gage?
No, it is the sensor for each computer. It is actually a dual sensor with a signal readout to the EZK computer and the LH computer.
__________________
Dave,
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #43
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
I would not at all be surprised if the problem is the 560 ECU. Those are notorious for failing, resulting in all kinds of issues, including rich conditions. I have not encountered one in 15+ years because they were always replaced with a later version 939 EGR Turbo ECU. See if you can borrow a known good 939, 937, 954, 967 ECU to check whether that is the problem.
seriously OP, CHECK injectors by # BEFORE Assuming they are ok, as it will ruin the ECU too if inj are wrong
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:10 PM   #44
abelbushey
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
It would run exactly as you have described, which is why I asked.

If you have thin plastic injectors, they are probably high-z (high resistance, around 13-15 ohms), and you probably dodged that bullet.
If they have a fat black or silver body and a plastic part on top, you may have low-z (low resistance, ~3ohms).
They are definitely the thin plastic injectors. They look nothing like the short fat ones that came off the car. I will check the resistance of the injectors next time I'm by the car.
abelbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #45
abelbushey
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Is this rich condition and chugging at part throttle, WOT, etc? Do you have an exhaust leak pre O2 that's pulling a bunch of air?
The car runs rich at every rpm. The car shutters a little under very light acceleration. At WOT it bucks/ chugs very badly and the afr gauge will max out rich.
abelbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:13 PM   #46
abelbushey
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
seriously OP, CHECK injectors by # BEFORE Assuming they are ok, as it will ruin the ECU too if inj are wrong
Foolish of me to assume they were correct I bought the car with a good pile of turbo parts but I never thought to check on the injector numbers.
abelbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:28 AM   #47
Fa182
Stage 1
 
Fa182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Austria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
No they do not. The resistance is in the injector.
Yes I know, I was just correcting what was said earlier

OP: Check resistance or number on injectors and compare with this table: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm
NA 240 engines use hi-z injectors, Turbo engines use low-z (usually the black/green 0-280-150-804) with a resistor pack.
__________________
Fa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.