home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #51
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gwynne View Post

Although my 240 has the suspension tuned to a pretty good degree for aggressive driving on pavement I've got that Aussie locker stuck in the back of my head. Inexpensive and easy to install. I've never broken apart a diff before. I'm curious to try. Would the installation of an Aussie locker affect my driving big time on dry roads? If I came into corners fast but kept the throttle steady the whole way through then would I be alright? Or would I be increasing the likelihood of flying off the road? I have no interest in the auto-x stuff. Just long fast sweeping turns. Thanks for reading this long post and all comments are appreciated.

FYI, I'm thinking about the locker to help me pass through the snow covered and hilly roads on the commune.

Thanks!

Edit: This is making me think the heck with it https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...s/81337/page1/
I think they drive fine, they are not going to be as neutral as a open diff or a proper LSD.
They do make some clicking noise, but it's not that bad IMO. I'm used to loud race cars, so take that for what it's worth.
They are incredibly easy to install. You will have to pull the center carrier and the ring gear off. If you have an impact wrench, a torque wrench, and some red loctite... you can do this.

If you're at all worried about traction and live in out in the woods, a lunchbox locker is a great solution.
Here's a video of one installed in the rear of a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7ze7149HE
Old 02-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #52
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I'm running a powertrax lockright. Works really nice in the snow and whatnot. Clunks in tight turns, can start bucking/stay locked if I'm turning really tight without accelerating or decelerating. Pushing the clutch halfway also makes it not do this.

I don't love it but it beats an open diff, basically.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #53
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

If you're just worried about snow, get a g80 Volvo diff. Works up to ~25mph.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #54
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
If you're just worried about snow, get a g80 Volvo diff. Works up to ~25mph.
Do those clunk at all? I know you can weld em to make them work always.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #55
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Quote:
I think they drive fine, they are not going to be as neutral as a open diff or a proper LSD.
They do make some clicking noise, but it's not that bad IMO. I'm used to loud race cars, so take that for what it's worth.
They are incredibly easy to install. You will have to pull the center carrier and the ring gear off. If you have an impact wrench, a torque wrench, and some red loctite... you can do this.

If you're at all worried about traction and live in out in the woods, a lunchbox locker is a great solution.
Here's a video of one installed in the rear of a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7ze7149HE

Right on. Thanks very much and I'll put in an order for that Aussie locker very soon.

Thanks everybody!
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #56
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Do those clunk at all? I know you can weld em to make them work always.
They're mostly silent, but they are not that strong. As the clutch packs wear, they tend to get stuck on. They also take some time to engage, so there's a pretty big shock load when they engage. There's a specific long sweeping corner at Oregon Raceway Park where the g80 would engage just after mid-corner. Insta 80mph drift!

I wore mine out in about a year of fun driving.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #57
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Oh I forgot to ask if an electric impact wrench is strong enough to work. I haven't stepped up to a pneumatic one yet. Thanks
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #58
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
They're mostly silent, but they are not that strong. As the clutch packs wear, they tend to get stuck on. They also take some time to engage, so there's a pretty big shock load when they engage. There's a specific long sweeping corner at Oregon Raceway Park where the g80 would engage just after mid-corner. Insta 80mph drift!

I wore mine out in about a year of fun driving.
Ah yeah, doesn't sound great. Mine might lock when I don't want it to sometimes, but it's always locked whenever I want it to be.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #59
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
It will be very difficult to get to a situation when you are going fast and hard enough on public roads that you will surpass the abilities of the wavetrac. As long as you don't have major setup issues it shouldn't be a problem from my experience.
give me a shout when they stock in, in case you forget to update the site
Old 02-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #60
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gwynne View Post
Oh I forgot to ask if an electric impact wrench is strong enough to work. I haven't stepped up to a pneumatic one yet. Thanks
Yes. Most plug-in electrics are burly. Battery, YMMV. My snap-on 1/2" is a beast, even my ryobi 3/8 is not bad. My very old IR pneumatic is much weaker than the fresh one. I have not compared my old black and decker to the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
just like here on tb?
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote