home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
Gittarguy24

Default Question about Tethys wheels on 240

1987 Volvo 244. Ive googled it and googled it some more and i cant find a concrete answer. What size spacers do i need to run Tethys wheels, 17x7 with 49mm offset? I ordered the IPD 25mm spacers but now im rethinking that and wondering if i need a 35mm for the rears or even both. Also i ordered new SAE acorn lug nuts to attach the spacers, but will i need different lug nuts for the wheels or will the included ones work?
Gittarguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #2
Texas240
Prius Owner

I have 32mm up front and 25mm out back. Running a 215/45/17 front and 225/45/17 back. You could go with a 35mm up front. Get you a little more tire up front.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
Gittarguy24

Ok. Cool. Ill run out and check my tire sizes in a few. Were you able to use the lugs that came with the spacers or did you need to order specific ones? I dont think i have the ones that came with the wheels anymore
Old 02-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
Gittarguy24

225/45/17
Old 02-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Gittarguy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
I have 32mm up front and 25mm out back. Running a 215/45/17 front and 225/45/17 back. You could go with a 35mm up front. Get you a little more tire up front.
I liked the look of your front wheel so much i just ordered a set of 32mm and extended studs from Kaphlenke Racing for the front and rear. Pretty much blew up the budget but whatevs.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Matts87-244
Board Member

Finally got back into my old account. Sweet
Matts87-244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #7
quillc
yv1a.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittarguy24 View Post
I liked the look of your front wheel so much i just ordered a set of 32mm and extended studs from Kaphlenke Racing for the front and rear. Pretty much blew up the budget but whatevs.
I've been running this combination for years now. Works well.

You will need to roll the rear fender lips pretty substantially to not rub. I used a piece of pipe and the tire to roll it. Worked out very well. If you don't roll the wheel lip (or cut if off I suppose), it'll rub pretty substantially. An adjustable panhard bar will help by centering the axle at the ride height.

I run IPD springs with HD Bilstein's. The car almost looks like a stock ride height with the larger wheel/tire package on the lowering springs.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
Matts87-244
Board Member

Thats great news. I was honestly expecting to need to roll the fenders, esp. with the cut springs im planning on running. My buddy Dan thats also a member here has done his already so figuring me and him should be able to get it straight. What lug nuts did you have to use?? I havent even check my Kahlpenke box to see if theyre included. Lol. For $340 they should be but im not holding my breathe. Lol
Old 02-06-2021, 04:48 AM   #9
quillc
yv1a.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts87-244 View Post
Thats great news. I was honestly expecting to need to roll the fenders, esp. with the cut springs im planning on running. My buddy Dan thats also a member here has done his already so figuring me and him should be able to get it straight. What lug nuts did you have to use?? I havent even check my Kahlpenke box to see if theyre included. Lol. For $340 they should be but im not holding my breathe. Lol
Nope not included. I ran the original nuts for a couple years till I eventually replaced them with Gorilla nuts. Those fit much better (and look nicer). I'm a fan of open end lugnuts instead of the longer capped ones. The stock ones will work, but sit a bit deep and chew up the wheel a bit.

I just used a pipe and the tire to roll the fender lip. Jack the car up and put it on stands. Jack the axle up until the pipe (inserted between the tire and lip) begins to contact. Pull the pipe along by turning the tire - bending the fender lip. Jack the axle up a bit more and repeat till the tire fully clears. It won't be by much, but it'll work fine. An adjustable panhard bar will help to center the axle in the chassis as lowering it will cause the axle to offset to the drivers side. Set the axle position prior to rolling the fender lips.
quillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Id definitely recommend 32 front and back with a Tethy setup.

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/...-wheel-spacers
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #11
Matts87-244
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Id definitely recommend 32 front and back with a Tethy setup.

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/...-wheel-spacers
Thats exactly what i ordered!!