home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
RealHumanBean
Board Member

Default Volvo 242 differential

Hey all, looking for some information on finding a 1979 242 differential. I've done some reading around and the differential appears to be a Dana 30.

The last couple of months, especially when it's been cold there's this howling-grinding sound coming from my differential's general area, I had a mechanic check the fluid the last time I had it in and it a decent amount of metal shavings hanging out in there. So seems like it's curtains for the old diff.

Right now I'm looking for a differential or a rebuild kit. Anyone know a good place to look?
RealHumanBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Your stock 79 differential is a Volvo 1030 model. the carrier is Dana 30 compatible but it's not the same because Volvo doesn't use a different carrier when the ring and pinion ratio changes. The sound you are describing seems like it's on it's way out. I would suggest a good used rear axle and swap that in. You can check the ratio on the sticker just to the left of the pumpkin on the axle. Most of the automatic cars use a 3.73 which is the same as many 79 models. The only change you'd have to make is if you use the stronger 1031 axle. You may need to swap the flange on the pinion so it can use your driveshaft.

If you are going to have your setup rebuilt. I would try shopping at Randys Ring and Pinion. It's where I got my rebuild parts when I had a shop rebuild the diff in my 82 turbo. Make sure you buy parts for you Volvo application. Not parts for a Dana 30.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealHumanBean View Post
Hey all, looking for some information on finding a 1979 242 differential. I've done some reading around and the differential appears to be a Dana 30.

The last couple of months, especially when it's been cold there's this howling-grinding sound coming from my differential's general area, I had a mechanic check the fluid the last time I had it in and it a decent amount of metal shavings hanging out in there. So seems like it's curtains for the old diff.

Right now I'm looking for a differential or a rebuild kit. Anyone know a good place to look?
I have rear axle from a 79 GT gathering dust in my garage, Western NY
want it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
RealHumanBean
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Your stock 79 differential is a Volvo 1030 model. the carrier is Dana 30 compatible but it's not the same because Volvo doesn't use a different carrier when the ring and pinion ratio changes. The sound you are describing seems like it's on it's way out. I would suggest a good used rear axle and swap that in. You can check the ratio on the sticker just to the left of the pumpkin on the axle. Most of the automatic cars use a 3.73 which is the same as many 79 models. The only change you'd have to make is if you use the stronger 1031 axle. You may need to swap the flange on the pinion so it can use your driveshaft.

If you are going to have your setup rebuilt. I would try shopping at Randys Ring and Pinion. It's where I got my rebuild parts when I had a shop rebuild the diff in my 82 turbo. Make sure you buy parts for you Volvo application. Not parts for a Dana 30.
Thanks man, that was a big help. Much appreciated
Old 02-19-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
RealHumanBean
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
I have rear axle from a 79 GT gathering dust in my garage, Western NY
want it?
Sure thing, sent a private message about it, thanks!