• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

164RS project

Hey, really cool project.

The B30 is one massive engine. I was always under the imprerssion that the B30 came with an all steel drive gear for the cam, i guess not then. Orthen someone has changed the steel gear to B20 gear for some reason.

I like that you have tons of pictures, and i like the attention to detail. What transmisison are you going to bolt behind that beast?

The B30 has a fibre gear standard. I'm told the steel gear on mine is a Volvo Penta part.

I am using the standard Volvo M410. There is a 600bhp 164 with this box still fitted, so I think it will be fine in mine!

John

Nice wheels!

Momo right?

You mean the new wheels? They are Super DTM (made, I think, by ASA but it's not clear). I think they are a copy of a BBS wheel.

(Or they might be real BBS wheels, bought with no bolt-holes, then redrilled and sold on by another company. I say this because the bolt holes aren't quite central in the recess cast in the wheel; they could be cast for BMW fitment, but then drilled for Volvo?)

The old, original wheels (first thread picture) are ATS 5.5x15, Volvo branded with the logo cast on the spokes.

The next set I put (2nd picture) are 15x7 Penta wheels, as used on AMG Mercs but also sold in the Uk as an OE accessory on 7 series cars.

I also have a set of 16x7 Gallaxies but did not like how they looked on the car. I'll probably sell them, but I'm keeping them to double check when the car is at its new ride height (Gallaxies are rare here, so difficult to get another set once I let these go).

Cheers

John

Pistons to cope with boost/heat. Forged pistons, or ceramic coated (I may have to use a 74 or 75 metric B30 because I could then use B21 forged pistons)

On my PV's 6 bolt B20 I was able to easily use B21FT pistons with the 6-bolt rods by having a machine shop press out the brass bushings, then ever so slightly reaming the small ends (they said they barely took any metal out at all) for an interference fit with the bigger 8-bolt/B21 wrist pins. No circlips.

Oh, and PS: Awesome project, you guys are doing Herculean work on it!

Hi folks, and happy Easter.

Been working on the car this weekend:

Test fitting the wheels

Luckily, my BMW 540i has the same size tyres that I want to fit to the 164. So I saved a scrap tyre from the BM and had it mounted on a rim for test fitting. I love how it looks; exactly what I wanted! (Personally, I don't think an ultra-low profile tyre suits an old car, hence I went for 17s with a 45 profile tyre).
090328014.jpg

090328015.jpg

I cut the lip from the wheel arch on both sides. The left was good condition, little rust. The right one was nasty, new metal welded over rust.

Left
090328019.jpg

Right
090328023.jpg

The moment of truth... and the wheel almost fits!
090328039.jpg

This is "worst-case" scenario with unadjusted Panhard rod fitted. On the right side of the car, the wheel will sit about 10mm further into the arch when I have modified the rod.

090328040.jpg

Full bump (so far, with original bump-stops still fitted. I will check clearance and if possible get some more wheel travel by moving thing out of the way of the axle and shortening the bump stop).
090328037.jpg

My ride height will be something like this.
090328038.jpg

090328042.jpg

Looking straight at the wheel from the side, it catches at about the 10 o'clock position. So I will do the modification suggested by towerymt [thanks!]. When fitting new arches and spare wheel wells, I'll detach the outer skin and pull the lower rear edge of the wheelarch outwards by 20-25mm. This will give me the clearance I need whilst (pretty much) keeping the appearance of stock bodywork.

I was prepared to fit wheel arch extensions if necessary. I had in mind these, cut down to fit and painted body-colour with a thin black beading at the join:
transitconnectarch.jpg

transitconnect.jpg

However, I am glad to be able to keep to my first choice; the OE look but with well packed wheelarches.

Now I just need to find a way to refurb the chrome trims, which have a few dents. Can anyone help with advice on that?

And sorry to Steve... (he wanted us to do the arch extensions!)

Engine bay

I am working through the engine bay parts refurbishing and detailing. Here are the PAS pump, reservoir, pulleys and brackets being worked on.

090328030.jpg

090328029.jpg

090328034.jpg

090328031.jpg

Can anyone tell me a source for these stickers? If possible, I'd like to fit new ones.
090328025.jpg

090328033.jpg

090328035.jpg

Interior

Dull stuff going on here; it can't all be exciting work! Installing wiring for rear speakers, rear fog lamp and rear alarm sensors... rustproofing... refitting floor components... fitting sound insulation

090328016.jpg

090328017.jpg

090328018.jpg

Engine

The block degreased prior to going to the engineering workshop for acid dip, rebore, crank regrind, etc.
090328013.jpg

090328012.jpg

In the past, there has been a coolant leak. You can see that it took paint off the block (and the bodywork); is that normal?

The sump in etch primer
090328032.jpg

Well, I think that's all just now. But before I go, just to prove that not all cool bricks are Volvos, look at this awesome early 70's racing Merc 300 6.8
1971merc30068race.jpg

Imagine Volvo had done this with the 164; then built a road legal version for homologation. That's the look I am aiming for!

Cheers

John & Steve

That benz is looking hot! If you really can get your 164 looking kinda like that, i'll be one jealous mofo

Hi

OK here's a few 164 vids I watch when I need remotivating (sorry if they're repeats):

1969 car with triple webers, built by Scandix.

Man the sound of those triple webbers is something else. I have decided that my next project car is going to have ITB's or webbers (depends on how old it is). Keep up the great work, those wheels look amazing, and love how they fill out the fenders!

You mean the new wheels? They are Super DTM (made, I think, by ASA but it's not clear). I think they are a copy of a BBS wheel.

(Or they might be real BBS wheels, bought with no bolt-holes, then redrilled and sold on by another company. I say this because the bolt holes aren't quite central in the recess cast in the wheel; they could be cast for BMW fitment, but then drilled for Volvo?)

The old, original wheels (first thread picture) are ATS 5.5x15, Volvo branded with the logo cast on the spokes.

The next set I put (2nd picture) are 15x7 Penta wheels, as used on AMG Mercs but also sold in the Uk as an OE accessory on 7 series cars.

I also have a set of 16x7 Gallaxies but did not like how they looked on the car. I'll probably sell them, but I'm keeping them to double check when the car is at its new ride height (Gallaxies are rare here, so difficult to get another set once I let these go).

Cheers

John

Ah yes I see now. Duh. I should have known what all of those were.
Interesting wheels. I'm a wheel whore myself, so that's what I noticed.
Awesome work, great car.

I CAN'T BEILIEVE I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS THREAD!
Great car, nice work and thanks for all the pictures. I never have been able to document my work like that, I get into working, and forget to snap photos, usually it ends up being a before and after shot! lol
Thanks for letting us enjoy your project, can't wait to see if finished and see and hear some videos (hopefully) of it tearing up the streets.

Can anyone tell me a source for these stickers? If possible, I'd like to fit new ones.
090328025.jpg

Motoroldies.se might have the stickers, Im not completely sure tho.. I looked on their page but I could'nt find pictures of those stickers, I KNOW there is a place that have almost every sticker and label that was on the older volvos (PV and upwards), I just have to find the page again. Will do some reaserch and come back to you.

Mathias

Motoroldies.se might have the stickers, Im not completely sure tho.. I looked on their page but I could'nt find pictures of those stickers, I KNOW there is a place that have almost every sticker and label that was on the older volvos (PV and upwards), I just have to find the page again. Will do some reaserch and come back to you.

Mathias

That would be brilliant, thanks!

John

Right then, first things first: :urgod:

That is an awesome project that certainly puts mine to shame. :oops:

If you ever get bored you're more than welcome to pop over to Blackpool to show me how to do a job properly!:rockon:

Secondly, have a look at this partslist for the 164 from VP Autoparts.. Page 30 seems to have the decals on it. Roughly 10 SEK to the ? at the moment.

Back