• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Transmission Leak

Rusty_ratchet

1985 Volvo 240 with AW70 transmission.

I noticed a leak and it appears to be from the transmission, between the torque converter and rest of the transmission.

ScreenShot20181011at.png

eacScreenShot20181011at.png

I removed the dust guard between engine and transmission and looked at the RMS. I did not appear to be leaking and I did not see any oil on the flywheel.

I believe that the part that is leaking is 7a in the figure below (Volvo 6814812)

dbaScreenShot20181010at.png

It is reasonable to assume that this is the seal that failed?

Last edited:
Looks like the converter input seal to me, I would think the convertor housing o-ring in the diagram would be leaking on to on the case of the transmission and not the convertor itself,if you pull the trans to replace that seal you might as well do both and be ready with a speedy sleeve in case of a groove in the snout

Last edited:
Looks like the converter input seal to me, I would think the convertor housing o-ring in the diagram would be leaking on to on the case of the transmission and not the convertor itself,if you pull the trans to replace that seal you might as well do both and be ready with a speedy sleeve in case of a groove in the snout

Is the converter input seal #6, #54, #55, or another seal in the figure below? Note that the fluid marks are on the far side of the torque converter (furthest from the engine).

59dScreenShot20181011at.png

Make sure to add 9, 10, 46, 11, pan, shifter rod gaskets on both sides, trans cooler lines to trans gaskets

Thanks! Where are the shifter rod gaskets?

d8bScreenShot20181011at.png

Seal looks like it would be part number 6 and number 3 would be the converter bushing which I would check for wear. I would for sure do the tails haft bushing and seal as that is a real common leak point. However that can be done at a later date with the trans in the car.wow that sure don't look like it's leaking that bad was it dripping on the ground?

Seal looks like it would be part number 6 and number 3 would be the converter bushing which I would check for wear. I would for sure do the tails haft bushing and seal as that is a real common leak point. However that can be done at a later date with the trans in the car.wow that sure don't look like it's leaking that bad was it dripping on the ground?

The car drips constantly. When I get home I have to immediately put a pan under the car to prevent drips on the concrete. At work it leaves a small puddle.

Does anyone know what size speedy sleeve to have on hand in case there is a grove in the snout?

Is it possible to remove the transmission and leave the torque converter in place?
This sounds easier than removing the whole thing and I can get a better idea of what is leaking.

Take them both out together you could never seat the convertor when putting the trans back in and inadvertently hanging the weight of the transmission off the input shaft isn't a good thing

Last edited:
Back