home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
ghost civic
Board Member

Default 2000 v40 boost increase

Ive been doing some reading but have found a lot of data that conflicts.

Im getting a 2000 v40 tomorrow. Previous owners had it 9 years and it seems pretty well taken care of. I will of course check filters, plugs, wire and such but the test drive gave me no reason to believe that standard upkeep hadn't been done.

As I understand it, these cars boost to 6-7psi stock? I'd like to go to 10psi. I don't have the money to do exhaust, intake, injectors, new turbo or a tune.
So, can a simple MBC and a boost gauge install safely get 10psi?

Reading multiple posts, it seems like there are issues with were to place a MBC. I've read that there is a Turbo Control Valve that is computer controlled and that this limits boost in 1st and 2nd gear. I don't want to risk damage to the transmission by boosting it to 10psi if the designers of the car felt it was nessesary to limit boost to 4-5psi in low gear.

I've done a MBC and boost gauge install on a 1991 740...but by comparison the v40 is a more complex beast.

To recap...where is the best place to install a MBC?
Can it be done without interfering with the TCV (assuming it does actually have that)
And will raising boost to 10psi without other mods be safe? Will the ECU up the fuel properly so that it does not run lean?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
ovlov760
Board Member

If the v40 is anything like other Volvo's made in that era, you can likely only raise the boost with a tune.
1997 850 T5 - Sold
1988 760 Turbo - Sold
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
doucheNozzle

Why not just leave it alone? If you can't afford to modify it, how can you afford to maintain it?

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 AM   #4
ghost civic
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Why not just leave it alone? If you can't afford to modify it, how can you afford to maintain it?
"can't afford" depends on if it can be done without a tune or not. Putting $300 into something that is not needed is very different from spending $300 on a tune up!

I would not try, nor expect, to get 15psi without a tune. But bumping up the boost pressure 2-3 psi seems like it should be possible and safe without a tune. But, as I stated before, my past experience was on a 1991 740 and that is a whole different animal.

I asked for help because I don't want to guess that the computer will compensate for the added boost and end up running lean. Nor would I want to guess which line the MBC should go on and end up screwing something up or interfering with any system that is meant to limit boost pressure on lower gears.

Ovlov760...your comment was at least a bit helpful, because to my knowledge this engine is just the 5 cylinder with 1 cylinder chopped off. So in terms of upgrades/tuning I too would think it should be similar to 850/s70
ghost civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Tbrick it and hack a resistor into the boost pressure sensor and see what happens.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost civic View Post
this engine is just the 5 cylinder with 1 cylinder chopped off. So in terms of upgrades/tuning I too would think it should be similar to 850/s70
In Europe it is. But it still doesn't matter where the engine came from if the engine management is different.
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote