home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #51
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

it's all relative. more is better ;)
__________________
"They bum rushed them in their own crib, they drank all their beer, they partied with their ladies and they left with the trophy"

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #52
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

10.5@131. slip in a bit. no spray.



in car video https://youtu.be/N8NCd9gK2zw

sam video:
https://youtu.be/M8bLnb0Lk48

Last edited by linuxman51; 02-28-2016 at 11:23 PM..
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #53
qwkswede
faster than you think
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Default

Dang Kenny! That thing is leaving really good without nitrous. Looks like you have it making boost on the line now. Good stuff. What are you doing with the trans on the start line? Dropped it to first right at the launch... do you have a t-brake in that TH350?

----------------edit--------------
I added your new times. Take your place on the top step of the podium again.
__________________
-Ken
1967 Volvo 122S
1992 Volvo 244 driver

Last edited by qwkswede; 02-29-2016 at 04:12 AM..
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:19 AM   #54
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

We need Nate Kahler to step in and make us west coasters look less like a buncha chumps already.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #55
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
Dang Kenny! That thing is leaving really good without nitrous. Looks like you have it making boost on the line now. Good stuff. What are you doing with the trans on the start line? Dropped it to first right at the launch... do you have a t-brake in that TH350?

----------------edit--------------
I added your new times. Take your place on the top step of the podium again.
no brake, just a slight of hand trick with the th400 and it's manual valve body. I actually got it to footbrake up to 30psi and 6000 rpms when I forgot to re-enable the launch limiter. I also forgot to drop it down into 1st initially on one pass, that was a bit awkward too.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #56
qwkswede
faster than you think
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Default

OH, that was he magic 2-1-2 shift. LOL. I forgot you went to a th400 now. Those transmissions are weird in a 4 cylinder. I always felt like I could have used a bit lower first gear ratio. Or 4.10s in the rear maybe. And a looser converter. I could never get mine to spool without a little nitrous. But no doubt they are tough as hell. Probably not even sweating making 10 second passes. :-)
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #57
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

I'm going 3-1. It cruised through the traps at around 6900rpms on the 131 and 132mph passes, so with the 100 shot I'll be right back up against limiter even though the tires are taller than the last set of stickies. There's a trick with 4L80's that does the same thing, only electronically, so I thought I'd gamble and see if the 400 liked it. Seems to. It's probably going to cut down on service life, but so be it I suppose. It's actually very smooth, not violent at all (And only possible because of the manual valve body ;) ). I could probably pull it into shape with traction control and spray, but launching with the naws is going to be.... interesting..
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #58
qwkswede
faster than you think
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Default

Wow, I never realized you could do that....
So you are staging and foot braking in 3rd, because you can with a manual valve body. That lets you make more boost without putting so much torque to the tires and pushing through the lights, or spinning the rears... The lights go green and you slam it into first? Interesting trick. Seems like timing will be tricky if you ever need to cut a good light. But it certainly launches nice that way.

My valve body wasn't full manual, so I was always in 1st gear no matter where I had the shift lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I'm going 3-1. It cruised through the traps at around 6900rpms on the 131 and 132mph passes, so with the 100 shot I'll be right back up against limiter even though the tires are taller than the last set of stickies. There's a trick with 4L80's that does the same thing, only electronically, so I thought I'd gamble and see if the 400 liked it. Seems to. It's probably going to cut down on service life, but so be it I suppose. It's actually very smooth, not violent at all (And only possible because of the manual valve body ;) ). I could probably pull it into shape with traction control and spray, but launching with the naws is going to be.... interesting..
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #59
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
Wow, I never realized you could do that....
So you are staging and foot braking in 3rd, because you can with a manual valve body. That lets you make more boost without putting so much torque to the tires and pushing through the lights, or spinning the rears... The lights go green and you slam it into first? Interesting trick. Seems like timing will be tricky if you ever need to cut a good light. But it certainly launches nice that way.

My valve body wasn't full manual, so I was always in 1st gear no matter where I had the shift lever.
yeah it's not the most consistent thing, so I wouldn't do that well bracket racing, but it's not that bad if you don't start thinking about a bunch of stuff at the same time. I was trying to turn off the fans, watch the boost gauge, and sorta cut a light on the run I forgot to pull it down on. I achieved none of the three either hahaha.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #60
Rich Halsey
Board Member
 
Rich Halsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

[QUOTE=linuxman51;5348973]10.5@131. slip in a bit. no spray.



Awesome runs!!! Team east to the front
Rich Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #61
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Halsey View Post
Awesome runs!!! Team east to the front
thanks bud! you needa get yours back together and out there, gotta beat that LS-T time of 11.66 ;)
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #62
haltechsupra
Board Member
 
haltechsupra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Texas
Default

Bad a$$ Kenny.. You are an inspiration to take my heap down the track, maybe bring things closer together...
https://www.facebook.com/kris.d.weld...5285796936005/
__________________
If you had the audacity , to doubt my veracity, and even to insinuate, that I scrupulously prevaricate ,such an insignificant question. Then you must hallucinate before you comprehend.
haltechsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #63
Rich Halsey
Board Member
 
Rich Halsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
thanks bud! you needa get yours back together and out there, gotta beat that LS-T time of 11.66 ;)
Im working on it. Engine and trans are in, Im fabbing a new hotside and making a few changes to the old set up. Hope to have it on the dyno in the next month or so. Might pm you soon with a few a/c hookup questions.
Rich Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #64
PNW940Pwnage
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Olympia, Washington
Default

You guys are so fooking fast, it's like...what's the point of submitting high 13's anymore. LOL. Geez!
PNW940Pwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #65
UhAudoe
Sittin' sideways
 
UhAudoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dayton Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW940Pwnage View Post
You guys are so fooking fast, it's like...what's the point of submitting high 13's anymore. LOL. Geez!
Right! It's almost like theyre running some high tech big displacement engine, that if you sneeze into it, will make big power
__________________
Sometimes good enough is better.
Slow p.o.s. et13.51 @ 105mph - 13c, lh2.4
UhAudoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #66
wennstroma
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Idaho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Halsey View Post
Awesome runs!!! Team east to the front
Of what, the "other" category?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW940Pwnage View Post
You guys are so fooking fast, it's like...what's the point of submitting high 13's anymore. LOL. Geez!
Quote:
Originally Posted by First post View Post
Summary
The "east vs. west" shootout was created by Pat D. (tuff240) to help motivate the group by creating a friendly yet competitive event we could all participate from our home towns.......
wennstroma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #67
UhAudoe
Sittin' sideways
 
UhAudoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dayton Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wennstroma View Post
Of what, the "other" category?
Yessss, yes, mmmmm. Commence pissy lil Turbobricks mode.

UhAudoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #68
wennstroma
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Idaho
Default

Are you okay?
wennstroma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #69
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW940Pwnage View Post
You guys are so fooking fast, it's like...what's the point of submitting high 13's anymore. LOL. Geez!
enough participation balances things out, that's why. If 4 people submit times, then yes, the side that's got an outlier will probably run away with it, but if say, 20 or 30 (or more) people participate then a bevy of 15 second passes will drown out a couple fast cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhAudoe View Post
Right! It's almost like theyre running some high tech big displacement engine, that if you sneeze into it, will make big power
Hm. a 2.5 liter volvo motor isn't what I'd call big displacement. a pushrod 5L v8 ain't exactly high tech, however if you choose to go ford over chevy you should be satisfied with underachieving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wennstroma View Post
Of what, the "other" category?
Check it again baws, runnin' it in two categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhAudoe View Post
Yessss, yes, mmmmm. Commence pissy lil Turbobricks mode.
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wennstroma View Post
Are you okay?
clearly he's not.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #70
UhAudoe
Sittin' sideways
 
UhAudoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dayton Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
Hm. a 2.5 liter volvo motor isn't what I'd call big displacement.

clearly he's not.
I was speaking about the turbo LS's.
Not dogging them.
The Volvo powered car is cool.

And I'm okay more days than not.
UhAudoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #71
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhAudoe View Post
I was speaking about the turbo LS's.
Not dogging them.
The Volvo powered car is cool.

And I'm okay more days than not.
no dogging was assumed, I also expanded on that side of the game as well.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #72
240Pete
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Default

I'm totally going to get involved in this, just have to get the 83 GLT +I back into service. It's been too many years since I've made a pass down a legit drag strip. Hold me to it. It will be sometime this year, 16's or bust! LOL
240Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:53 AM   #73
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

well, let the east down tonight.
only managed a 10.29@133.4

can't spray it, don't have enough injector :( still managed to cut a 1.5 60' tho.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #74
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

new PB, but no change in points
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #75
soclosenotnear
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: summerville, south carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
new PB, but no change in points


That's nuts. Gonna hit 9's soon, eh?
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.