home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #76
LC4CARL
Board Member

Soo.

Grasping the front rotors at the top and bottom (I would have popped the calipers off, but the Volvo design requires opening the hydraulic lines.) there is slight play. Grasping at the front and rear of the rotors, one can see the steering pinion turn almost immediately. Took the dust caps off. (Pads are new / rotors recently turned. Not that it matters.) Pulled the pin from the spindle. By hand, I cannot tighten the nut to the next key way. I can with a wrench. Don't have a inch-pound wrench. Always done them hand tight. Hope that is correct. Reassembled as before.

Onward. Loosened the lower ball joint fasteners. Confirmed that the joints are all the way forward. What's the word on oversizing the holes in the lower control arm for the purpose of more caster? Unsafe? Minimal improvement?

Added 1/2 turn of toe-in to the rack. Front tires from 32 psi to 35 (tires are new).

Finally, we are at 25.5 inches to the wheel openings all around. So, yeah, the tail is a bit high compared to stock, but I didn't want to completely hobble the beast. Probably giving up a smidge of caster here though.

If the rain stops, will run her down the road tomorrow for a look see.

Next step, replace the manual rack (sux anyway) with a looped PS unit (because racecar!). After that, stock springs. Then crush it.

Last edited by LC4CARL; 03-15-2017 at 11:03 AM..
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #77
LC4CARL
Board Member

Interesting. A perceivable change in steering feel. Maybe an improvement. Not monumental. Though it was a rainy / windy drive. Took the highway for several miles. Still not as nice as a Camry with NuFinish, but hey. Ended up at IPD of all places. Being polite I stopped in to visit and ended up walking out with a new set of sport springs. I told them I knew Billy Mays and they gave me a discount. Who knew? Looking to raise the nose an inch or so and looking forward to the firmer ride.

Fun little cars. Always enjoy driving it. Stopped by the IKEA for some lingon berry jam and ended up giving a blonde babe with a nice rack a jump start. Well, OK, it was a pimple-faced dude. I digress.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #78
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Glad you're moving in the right direction. Does it still wander? Glad to see you got more Ikea preserves. Wife was up there a couple weeks ago and got me some more too. I haven't heard any techniques about the lower ball joint thing you mentioned. I think once you get the new springs in and it realigned, it should track better.

#mclovethesenuts
-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW71, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, 160k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, dead R12, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-Work in Progress: Silver 2002 Subaru WRX wagon, 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #79
LC4CARL
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Glad you're moving in the right direction. Does it still wander? Glad to see you got more Ikea preserves. Wife was up there a couple weeks ago and got me some more too. I haven't heard any techniques about the lower ball joint thing you mentioned. I think once you get the new springs in and it realigned, it should track better.
It will be most tranquil. Plus the springs are painted blue!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #80
LC4CARL
Board Member

Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #81
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Old 03-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #82
LC4CARL
Board Member

Rear springs in.

I'll be honest, I was kind of freaking when I saw the shorter height. I'm very happy to report that the car actually sits 1/8" higher in rear tonight.

Hoping the front gets a mild lift.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #83
Otto Mattik
Board Member

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 03-17-2017 at 01:55 AM..
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #84
EivlEvo
Board Member

I didn't read this whole thread because I'm that guy... but when I bought my sedan, it had some odd wander that got way worse on the drive home. It ended up being the steering shaft knuckle thing dropping out bearing rollers. So the wheel had this MASSIVE dead spot and the car would sort of go with however the caster/camber worked best with the pitch of the road.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #85
LC4CARL
Board Member

Steering shaft running from the steering wheel to the rack?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #86
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

It's called a U joint Carl.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #87
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

You beat me to em...I want those blues! But I digress. I must adult, pretty sure the Wife would murder me if I bought springs instead of stuff for the baby.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #88
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Steering shaft running from the steering wheel to the rack?
Yeah. Basically it must've loosened just slightly and every time you'd turn the wheel it was just wrestling itself open a little bit more until the needle bearings started falling out. It kind of felt like the car was on a center rail with a wide gap in the guide.

And correct... the steering u joint. The one located in the engine bay though (I think there's one under the dash as well) that effectively makes it a collapsable steering column.

Be advised, if you live in a salty area... it's a PITA to get off. I used a dremel to pull it off in chunks. But overall not a bad job.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #89
LC4CARL
Board Member

Quote:
You beat me to em...I want those blues! But I digress. I must adult, pretty sure the Wife would murder me if I bought springs instead of stuff for the baby.
They're funny that way. Here's my eldest (now 22) with another POS I fixed up (4 BBL intake, cam, shift kit and rear gear!). Steering wandered on the F100 too. I tried to get king pins for the Volvo, and IPD said they were out of stock.

Last edited by LC4CARL; 03-16-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #90
LC4CARL
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
Yeah. Basically it must've loosened just slightly and every time you'd turn the wheel it was just wrestling itself open a little bit more until the needle bearings started falling out. It kind of felt like the car was on a center rail with a wide gap in the guide.

And correct... the steering u joint. The one located in the engine bay though (I think there's one under the dash as well) that effectively makes it a collapsable steering column.

Be advised, if you live in a salty area... it's a PITA to get off. I used a dremel to pull it off in chunks. But overall not a bad job.
Thx boss.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #91
LC4CARL
Board Member

Inspected four houses today. Three for water leaks and an abandon place (I think the home owner died) that had gone from "cute" to "drug house from hell" in three months. Seen a few of these, but this one took the cake. Drug paraphernalia everywhere. And just to make your day, children's toys in one room. Really sad. Almost got taken down by the cities finest when I was locking up. Cool dude, but he was not taking any chances and I don't blame him. Spoke with some neighbors, they've got a super pro-active neighborhood watch going now because of this place. I think most of us know somebody that has been affected by drugs. Talk to your kids.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #92
LC4CARL
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
It's called a U joint Carl.
Remember the "rag joints" on the old GM cars? They actually held up pretty well in my experience.

Pretty excited to tackle this (possibly) last hurdle on the POS. Lots of little stuff to play with when I have the odd hour, but if I can get the steering sorted, it would actually be a decent little driver. And, maybe, reliable. Good times.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #93
LC4CARL
Board Member

I doubt that this applies to anyone here, but does anybody know the stock height to the front wheel opening?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #94
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Crap...lemme run out and measure.....

Roughly 26.5"-27"

Last edited by KeizerBrickGuy; 03-17-2017 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Measured
Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #95
LC4CARL
Board Member

Quote:
Crap...lemme run out and measure.....

Roughly 26.5"-27"
Awesome. My "spring-hack" drop has the nose at 25.5". Doesn't seem like much drop for 2.5 coils. Maybe my tires are taller. I may have been optimistic that the IPD stuff would raise her much. Sigh. The firmer rates should be fun the turns though. Hope to have them on this weekend. If time permits, I'll run down to the salvage for a PS rack and column.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 AM   #96
LC4CARL
Board Member

3/4" higher on the front to 26 1/4".
Old 03-18-2017, 12:17 AM   #97
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Prime your rust.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:47 AM   #98
johfraser
Board Member

Maybe its got a negative scrub radius.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #99
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Prime your rust.
Next month. Money got spent on iPd springs

Crush it now and regret it later
We need laws for states to check for cut springs on vehicles. Mandatory background checks and and licenses suspended for 10 years. Report cut springs
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #100
LC4CARL
Board Member

Quote:
Prime your patina.
FTFY.