• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bench testing an odometer

iHateVolvoPeople

1993 245 with the K39200 speedo.

I’ve had an intermittently functioning odometer since i replaced the gears. I made sure all old broken gear pieces were removed. The odometer would usually not start during the first few minutes of driving in then all of a sudden on the highway it would start functioning. I also noticed that if I pulled the cluster out and pushed the speedo connection in the odometer would function. However, it only seems to work for about half of a mile and then it stops working again.

I took apart the connector in the cluster that plugs into the back of the speedometer and I clamped the pins closer to each other in order to make a tighter contact on the back of the speedo. This did nothing.

I would like to know if there is a way to apply voltage or something to this speedometer outside of the car in order to bench test it and check for odometer functionality.

Try shimming the two little screws at stepper motor. Mine became stuck if these screws were tightened.

So my odometer has been 100% functional after i fixed some weird circuitry that affected the temp gauge. No idea on the correlation but all i know is that the 4 pins where the comp board is, were not fully seated. I fully seated the pins and the green piece that holds them in place. Since then, temp gauge and odometer have been perfect. Weird.

Back