• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Volvrat II - Ratted 940 V8 Mad Max

It's a mid 80s V8 from the SD1, and it's a fair bit lighter than the B230 actually which we were a bit surprised by!! Not huge amounts lighter, but it is noticeable when maneuvering it.

Ahh, you noticed it then ;) They're on backwards, pointing forwards, as the don't have enough space to point backwards. The exhausts will go out through each side of the front bumper infront of the front wheels :)

Why not use a 4.6 from a later model Range Rover or even the 3.9 from a Classic Range Rover or Discovery? Seems sort of a waste to use that motor instead of fixing the Volvo motor.

Did i read that you're using the stock Volvo gearbox behind it? How did you make that work?

I find it strange you got rid of your 850 because of a blown headgasket, which is easy to fix or get parts for, and start all over again on another car.

What's up with the speakers ?

There is NOTHING rat rod about that...:wtf:

Rat rod :

628095.jpg

b5mk4k.jpg

rat20rods.jpg

If you all look I have never claimed it to be a rat rod so dunno what y'all are getting so worked up about! It's rat look, ie making it look ratty, not trying to make it look like a rat rod cos it never will.

I got rid of the 850 with the blown head gasket cos it needed a new engine as it had gone that badly but I couldn't get a decent engine for under ?500, and that's how much I paid for the whole 850!! Volvo engines really have been the most unreliable engines I've come across. 2 Volvos, 2 major engine failures! Why I didn't fix the 940 engine after I replaced the turbo for the third time!!

I chose the 3.5 purely cos it's cheap and easy to get a hold of bits. I'm not looking for performance, otherwise I'd use the big block chevy lump I have, but that's not my plan for this car, it's just gonna be a nice, comfortable daily driver and for cruising around.

You did read right, I am using a factory Volvo box on it. It's the auto box code ZF 4HP22. Landrover use a 4 wheel drive variant of this gearbox on the Discovery. So use the Volvo auto box, Disco bell housing and torque converter and it all fits together nicely :)

Last edited:
I kind of want to punch you in the dick for putting that rover lump in there. But I can't, you're too far away. Cool concept, but I hate that dash, looks retarded.

Props for going somewhere that no one else has ventured before.

Hey man, recognize the name of that car. Can't be many 854s called The BBQ lol How's your RWD conversion getting along?

You may want to crotch shot me (which made me laugh by the way when I read it - you win the prize for most unusual and aggressive response to this!! LOL), but even the most hardened haters on the engine will have to admit that it'll sound glorious when it's done with the V8 in there. It may not be the most powerful but it'll still have that lovely rumble :)

Hey man, recognize the name of that car. Can't be many 854s called The BBQ lol How's your RWD conversion getting along?

You may want to crotch shot me (which made me laugh by the way when I read it - you win the prize for most unusual and aggressive response to this!! LOL), but even the most hardened haters on the engine will have to admit that it'll sound glorious when it's done with the V8 in there. It may not be the most powerful but it'll still have that lovely rumble :)

RWD is comming along, lots of holes cut and I have a mock up block mounted to the subframe facing the proper way. Still deciding on a couple things.

I meant no agression by the dick punch. I just felt like telling you when I read you were putting the rover in, thats the first thing that popped into my head. If you were going for sound, you should of swapped the whiteblock with a new hg from your 850 in, best sounding engine imo.

Trust me, i'm not hating on you. Talk to my best friend who is making me swap a fcking D16 into his sentra, I give him hate, thats even dummer. Prove us all wrong with that rover v8 and the reliability.

Haha, I've come across haters with every car I've owned cos I do what I wanna do, and not what everyone thinks I should do, so I could tell you're not a hater. Plus the bit about props at the end is usually a giveaway too! :lol:

The Rover V8 is a good piece of kit for basic simple engineering. Not fast but it's nice. Plus if anything goes on it, it's cheap to replace. Going through 3 turbos on the B230 was expensive!!!!

ok so it's not 'rat rodding' it's 'rat looking'

the purpose of this 'rat-look' is to purposefully degrade your car to a piece of **** beater before it can happen in its own time?

i could understand if you got a stripped 940 shell with no dash, no stereo, no interior, no motor, no trans and you have no money but you need something to drive, so you come up with this.

maybe next time you should buy a car from the breakers and build it up, instead of building it down?

ok so it's not 'rat rodding' it's 'rat looking'

the purpose of this 'rat-look' is to purposefully degrade your car to a piece of **** beater before it can happen in its own time?

i could understand if you got a stripped 940 shell with no dash, no stereo, no interior, no motor, no trans and you have no money but you need something to drive, so you come up with this.

maybe next time you should buy a car from the breakers and build it up, instead of building it down?

A load of my old cars were from the breakers actually, but it's more hassle than it's worth as regs here mean you have to take the vehicle for an inspection by an official from the vehicle operations standards agency and they need to see it repaired to an almost new state.

There are different aspect to rat look but the main jist of it is to have cars that look ratty, be it looking broken, looking like a PoS beater, looking like something from Mad Max (which is my preferred style) and many more too!

Not everything has or needs a purpose. Some things are done out of impulse and personal preferance.

Hell, I took my rear door handles off (aerodynamiks), put s70 ones on the front and broke the plastic thing trying to make the key work, so essentially the only way I get in and out of my car is the trunk (which by the way requires a different key, its from my blue parts car). My interior is gutted so I crawl 3/4of the way into the trunk to grab the metal wire that unlocks the rear door, pull the other metal arm to open the door, then have to fight gravity and rubberized asphault that never hardens to open the door.

Just so I can get out and open the rear door all the way, reach for the front door pin, and pull it up. It had a full nice leather interior before. Why you ask. Because it makes me laugh so fcking hard every morning and any time I need to get into it. Just how akward it is. I enjoy it, don't know why, it takes 5 minutes to get into, but I love it. It has absolutly no purpose, other than I look like a pimp with two different volvo keys on my keychain, and I tell the ladies i'm Ricky Bobby.

Back