• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boosted on a budget

OK here we go... Guys have to keep in mind this is my first real shot at body work and paint:

stripped this mug down:

4wq2LOK.jpg

One day I lowered the jack on a jack stand. This is what happens:

NVh9k33.jpg

yhBYAX9.jpg

I ended up grinding it down to some metal so I can try and weld something laying around the garage and pull out as much as I could. I ended up welding a screw to the low spots and used a claw hammer to pull the dent out. After about 5 or 6 welds and pulls, I had almost the entire dent completely out. Added some light weight filler and some glazing putty and it came out ok:

5RZ61SH.jpg

LTAyMgM.jpg

Started to work the dimples and warpage out from the ass cheeks:

EohMoZd.jpg

Added some new gravel guard:

7hXBpKn.jpg

I had a happy helper wet sand the fenders for me. I had to re-prime the burn throughs but she tried:

q7MDoCl.jpg

After priming the doors, I guide coated and block sanded to find imperfections. This took a lot of time. Even in the end, I still have some warped panels. I think that Volvo just had crappy stamps for the sheet metal. I could have spent more time if this was a show car. As a daily beater, I just tried my best at straightening it out:

PHhVrEf.jpg

3V1Igtt.jpg

Primed the new front cowl then moved onto the rest of the body for primer:

gjcmvre.jpg

1pmlPCq.jpg

Once the panels were all blocked out and wet sanded, I built a GhettoFab booth for reduction of dust and other air born particles:

TJPJnoK.jpg

I applied 3 coats of Single Stage Acrylic Urethane. Do not as me why I went with single stage because I will be laughed at.

Ok... I will tell you. I chose single stage for the fact that I figured it would be less work. You know, just tape it up and shoot and unmask and your done.....

Sheeeeeeeiiiiitt was I wrong. I ended up getting some runs in the rear quarters and tried to sand them out. I accidentally burned through on a spot and then when I had the run flat, you could see a slight color variation. I am unsure why it was doing that since its a solid color with no metallics or any additives.

Here is how clean the fenders and doors came out:

RIZtaf3.jpg

In this photo you can see how clear the finish came out. This is not wet sanded or buffed at all!! I was super excited:

nuioXv3.jpg

A few days later I brought the car in for some painting. I ended up separating the roof from the rest of the body thinking it would seclude more of the painting and help me as a beginner:

HOD7W47.jpg

Wzur07l.jpg

After that cured, I ended up remasking and painting the rest if the car:

Bu66bha.jpg

Xepty5B.jpg

I ended up getting a huge run as stated earlier. I am not going to show anyone since it was really bad and I am extremely embarrassed about it :oops:. I had to re-sand the quarters down and re-mask and repaint.

Only to :censored: it up again!! I wanted to give up, I mean seriously. I was out of money, out of paint and still out a car during this time.

I took a break, got some extra money and ordered some more paint. Pulled it in for another shot at a respray:

zrRPzWm.jpg

FluJBMJ.jpg

I didnt do to bad on the last go around. I have 2 smaller runs that I am going to do my best at removing and just calling it a day. I can live with it.

Now as a reminder to all of those who have viewed this thread, this car is a 91. It was a basic wagon and nothing special. I have always fancied the early style wagons. The quarter glass with the SS trim, the smaller rear glass, the front cowl being recessed, the corner lights, hood, and lots of other things. The only thing I didnt end up changing was the rear bumper. I like the later bumpers since they are lower and give the rear a lower appearance.

In this pic you can see the black factory painted window surrounds:

PQFaQTI.jpg

I ended up stripping the paint off:

F5olaxM.jpg

I also ended up pulling the rear quarter glass from a local yard. It had the SS trim molded into the rubber seal unlike my solid rubber seals that came on the 91. I stripped th black paint off of the trim and ended up installing the 84 glass.

In conjunction with the 84 rear glass, I had an 84 tailgate that I posted earlier in my thread. I shaved the rear wiper blade. Here it is painted:

QPs8WWg.jpg

I ended up painting the taillights and clear coated them:

hLa1WjQ.jpg

Ycno5a4.jpg

Here is the rear tail gate mounted and the new glass with tail lights. Im digging this ****!!!:

KLp6fcv.jpg

cPZruDg.jpg

Thats it as of now. I hope this gives you guys inspiration. If my broke ass can do this then anyone can!!

Enjoy.. thanks for the push to get some updates!

:omg:

Wow that turned out great! I like the color. I need/want to paint my car myself. I think I've slowed my own progress because I don't think I'm ready to actually take the project on.

This sure is a kick of motivation though!!

mad props my dude. Im a dummy when it comes to paint and body work. however i did respray and smooth out a fender on my 245 and that took me for ****ing ever, so i can only imagine how much work u put in.

Thanks everyone. I’ll be finished soon. The big finale are the new wheels.
The first thing that comes to mind is greater than the haters. Can’t wait.

Only thing holding me up is longer wheel studs. BNE is the only one who makes direct fit extended wheel studs. Need some money though. I can’t believe how much things end up costing when you have an idea. Seems so simple then you start the project and you end up screwing your self over and you can’t turn back but there are road blocks ahead. You just have to push forward and hope for the best. That’s where I am at now. I need motivation and a good prayer lol

OMG that paint looks amazing. I've painted a 244 before and it was an absolute ****show, looks terrible, now I wanna go give it another shot!!!!

Looking incredible man! Keep it up

I love the all red tail lights. I want to do this on my car but worry about the lack of reverse lights.
Are you adding any white lights to work in their place.. or just saying f**k it! :rofl:

Thanks everyone.
I don’t spend much time in reverse so I said screw it for now. I understand it’s a safety hazard so I will think of something soon.

Back