• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Interior Refreshening Project

Ordered a set of Johann245's custom wood dash trim. I chose the darker Bolivian Rosewood. I am hoping the darker trim pieces will add a subtle richness to the interior without standing out too much. I'll be sure to post pictures in a couple of weeks once he has finished making them and they are installed in the car.

I have been very busy with work over the last few weeks, but hopefully I have a little break coming up to get the rear leather installed.

Attachments

• 2uh8ig8.jpg
    2uh8ig8.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 486
Had a chance to see these L-seat covers in black leather. Customer had an 90 240 white with black interior. Install was nice, leather felt sturdy, color was more a matte finish. Looked good. Your car should turn out nice too.

The current dash in the car has one of those formed ABS covers glued in place, presumably to cover up cracks. While it doesn't look too bad compared to a badly cracked dash, I did grab a perfect dash out of a 1979 240 at my local pick n pull. Will this work in my newer 240? I just don't know the differences, if any, between the earlier models vs the later models.

The dash is completely different. Sell the 79 dash here and look for 81 and up to 89. 1990 and up will also work but there but there are small differences that will drive you nuts. The hole for the ignition is slightly off and that piece uses a different housing. This makes the center panel different to accommodate the extra piece.

Th pen tray section is what's different between the 81-89 and 90 -93.
attachment.php

This is the same as your console, note the "wings' at the top. This is 1990-93. The 81-89 do not stick out as much in that area.
001.jpg

I did get the rear seat bottom covered in the leather today as well as the front armrest. Pictures of the rear seats once they are done and installed.

An observation on the leather... It is very thick in my no upholstery expertise opinion. This is not an issue and actually probably preferable for the seats, but the cover for the armrest does have its share of wrinkles that I attribute to the thickness of the leather and being more difficult to make "clean" tight radius turns. Not that I can't live with it and I am happy the have the rest back in the car. These really do make the driving position much more comfortable.

Attachments

• DSCN2972.JPG
    DSCN2972.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 541
Pictures of how the bottom of the rear seat turned out. I'm sure the few wrinkles that are in the leather will work their way our as the hot sun heats up the leather and it stretches a bit.

Attachments

• DSCN2975.jpg
    DSCN2975.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCN2992.JPG
    DSCN2992.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN2984.jpg
    DSCN2984.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCN2978.JPG
    DSCN2978.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2995.JPG
    DSCN2995.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 539
Look good. The armrest is bunching up because of how it was sewn. The radius sewing should have been just like the edge of the rear seat shown in your last pic. Note the stitching

They sell bulk leather, so I could always buy some and have a local shop make a new cover. I have a cloth cover that isn't perfect that I kept just to have it as a pattern.

Like this one being sold on eBay. Does anyone know if he is a board member? Maybe I can contact him and he's make me one if I sent him the material so it matched the rest of the interior.

Attachments

• Armrest Cover.jpg
    Armrest Cover.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 529
I would contact L-seat and ask them if they can redo the cover using the stitch pattern found on that rear seat edge. Doesn't hurt to ask.

In all fairness, I did supply them with a cloth cover and I assume they just dissected it and replicated the cloth sections in leather and sewed it all back together. Personally I would have thought that they would have suggested another method of putting it together like the seam in the one off eBay or the back seats once they saw the final outcome. For now I can live with it, but it will be something that will be corrected in the future. I am still very happy with their seat covers.

Another small side project as everything comes together. The 1980's Pioneer TS-66 deck mounted speaker enclosures were just a little to big for the rear desk. They were just a bit too deep and wouldn't fit flat on the shelf front to back. I liked the look of them vs the original speakers that went back there and I like the idea that I would only have to drill two holes for each speaker vs cutting out a larger hole to drop the speaker sthrough. The added benefit, in my mind anyway, of the deck mounted speakers is I can back them with some foam in the enclosure and possibly get better/more sound out of them than with the back of the speaker projecting down into the trunk area.

My solution, I picked up a like set, the TS-44, that are just a little bit smaller. They are designed for a 4" speaker vs a 5 1/2" speaker. Before screwing them down to the shelf I ordered some modern Pioneer TS-F1034R 4" 150W 2-Way Speakers to replace the 1988 designed paper speakers. For the cost I figured they would sound a bit better.

Attachments

• DSCN3004.JPG
    DSCN3004.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCN2998.JPG
    DSCN2998.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCN2997.JPG
    DSCN2997.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 517
  • ts-f1034r-3-3979-800x800.jpg
    ts-f1034r-3-3979-800x800.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 516
  • cornetas-4-pulgadas-pioneer-ts-f1034r-20-rms-kicker-rockfor-D_NQ_NP_977911-MLV20661317503_042016.jpg
    cornetas-4-pulgadas-pioneer-ts-f1034r-20-rms-kicker-rockfor-D_NQ_NP_977911-MLV20661317503_042016.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 514
Volvo did make a surface mounted rear deck speaker where you only needed a small hole to pass the wire through the deck.
rear-deck-placement-template.jpg

Those old school surface mount Volvo speakers aren't the easiest to find, I know I've been looking. The 1980's Pioneers will work just fine and probably sound better with a more modern speaker.

I'm sure they will. One of my coupes came with the surface mount speakers. I'll be looking into updating the guts.

Back