• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stripping paint from engine bay

My question is...what's the best way to go about this? I don't have air at the house (so blasting is out.) Is there a good paint stripping chemical I can use, or should I just plan on loading the whole car up on a trailer and taking it to someone who can blast it clean?

http://www.blast-it-ilm.com/contact-us.html
http://evolutiondustlessblasting.com/contacts.php

Orr....just a little closer to home for you...:nod:
http://www.customcreationsblasting.com/dustless.html

Some of them even come to you...
Less sand/mess, no chance of silicosis, and less sheetmetal warping to due sand abrasion/friction
Most places that do this can come to your house/workshop/whatever...and it can be done pretty quickly for a relatively nominal fee.
If just doing under the hood...they can probably get it done in 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
There is no reason to ever sand with 900 when prepping for paint. 500 wet/dry is as fine as it needs to be. The primer/sealer will cover up 500 grit sand scratches easily.

I was told/taught anything over 600 and you could run into paint adhesion problems.
Hell, I've cut paint with 1000 before...lol.

I was told/taught anything over 600 and you could run into paint adhesion problems.

That is exactly the issue. You want some "tooth" for the paint to adhere to. When you are painting over factory baked paint, the mechanical bond is the component of the adhesion between the existing paint and the new paint. I cut paint with 800-1000 grit for the first step of cutting/buffing.

I gotta agree with Pat here. I rarely sand above 400 on primer for anything I spray color (and I spray 2k urethanes every day).

all of those posted look amazing.

(BTW a wire wheel on a drill after hitting it with easy-off will knock the majority of that paint off pretty quick).

I gotta agree with Pat here. I rarely sand above 400 on primer for anything I spray color (and I spray 2k urethanes every day).

all of those posted look amazing.

(BTW a wire wheel on a drill after hitting it with easy-off will knock the majority of that paint off pretty quick).

Wire wheel isn't a good idea unless you want to see scratches thur the paint.

Wire wheel isn't a good idea unless you want to see scratches thur the paint.

If you wire wheel, you have to use softer ones and usually you have to strip the entire area. Then sand, then prime. Then sand and prime some more... and again and again. Prep is so much fun... :owned:

Thanks for clarifying. To be clear, I said if you are going to use a chem stripper, wire wheel the loose stuff off. You'll already be doing the entire area if you go that route. Then sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime till happy.

Back