• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B20 turbo

JuhaP said:
[quote:1834f6870f="doug242ti"]really slick looking Juha! Man, that is a snug fit!
Are you going to use an IC from some other make that has the inlet and outlet on the same side? Would make sense to me!

One question, for the lack of space, how come you didn't consider just using the internal wastegate?

Doug

Hi Doug,

I'm getting a custom made aluminum ic next week, inlet and outlet are on different sides. I decided to use external wastegate because: it's easier to adjust without spiking, looks cool, I got one cheap and finally; there's no room for the original wastegate actuator :-).[/quote:1834f6870f]

Good enough for me!!! External is the way to go provided you have the room and you'r building a header!

Doug

DR DOKE said:
:eek: That is BADASS!!, looks like a great clean job, and I love the enlarged grille :werd:

Is that a zombie in your passenger seat? :rofl:

"King size" shrunken voodoo-head.. :badboy:

Not to skew from the subject at hand, but is the B18FT's in the 480s in any way related to the B18s of old? Just curious........ :)

swede242 said:
Not to skew from the subject at hand, but is the B18FT's in the 480s in any way related to the B18s of old? Just curious........ :)

This is a kind of a experiment that the B18FT in Volvo 480 Turbo ever was build, it's Renualts engine from the beginning and Volvo tried to modify it but it was never a very good engine allthougt Renualt succeed better with it (but without turbo I think), anyway it's biggest problem is the electronics with the engine, it seems to fail often but the engine components is surely as good as many other popular. This engine isn't related to the old B18 in any way.

Yep that's right, It's a renault engine, used in the renault 19 and the volvo 440/460/480, they use renault trannys too, my 440 has a B18EP. I believe Volvo did a better job with the engine, comparing a few figures from the net, the r19's 1721cc motor gives out 95bhp where as the volvo 'version' pushes 102bhp, overall it's still very reliable for a POS french engine :p, mine has nearly 155k miles, and still has plenty of life left in it, there are cases where these engines have done 200k+.

Thanks for the info......you guys ever try a "swap" in the 480s? Just wondered if the little buggers had any room in them :)

Back