• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best sounding muffler (2012 fartcan bump)

Raspy as a smoking grandma

Bringing this back to satisfy the search Nazi's...

IPD sport exhaust just rusted through. Running NA B21, B cam, 2.25 exhaust, w/cat. Ended up replacing the IPD muffler with straight through Magnaflow, and I don't mind the volume, but I can't stand the rasp. Anyone have a suggestion for resonators that will remove that harsh rasp?

For NA, I like a single "turbo" muffler or offset magnaflow. They both usually have some sort of fiber filling which really helps with drone.

For turbo, a simple resonator or glass pack (a good one!), or even a short magnaflow is fine.

For the turbo I use a single rear mounted round 3" magnaflow SS. It makes a nice sound. Has a full 3" system from engine back.

The wagon has a simons sport system which helps a bit but isn't performance as it's the same 2" as stock. Just mandrel bends and better flowing mufflers.

I'm NA with the 60mm exhaust from a turbo model with a Magnapack in place of the muffler. Sounds great, would be better with a turbo to muffle some of the slight rasp at 6k rpm.

I had a flowmaster 40 on my E30 325iS. The tone seem pretty mild. It really just sounded like the factory muffler but a good bit louder. Like a loud hairdryer but that was likely because of the engine itself. Almost too smoooooth. :cool:

True! But I was thinking more along the lines of a resonator. Same concept I suppose, but specifically, a resonator. Vibrant has some that are interesting.

Magnaflow flowmaster big chambered thing in the back and Vibrant straight through resonator in the stock spot. Spools faster than my old turbo muffler and it's quieter.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RbFp9rQzVdU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Magnaflow flowmaster big chambered thing in the back and Vibrant straight through resonator in the stock spot. Spools faster than my old turbo muffler and it's quieter.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RbFp9rQzVdU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stock spot or replacing the cat? Do you run a cat? Where's my cat... Kitty kitty bang bang. Meow.

But seriously, specs. There are a few Vibrant resonators. 12 in, 18 in... How many inches sir?!?! Inquiring minds and all...

Last edited:
Not for me. Offset flowmaster in the resonator spot on an NA 245 had an awful 2800-3200rpm drone. No rear muffler, pipe straight out on the rh side.

I?ve found that most chamber/baffled mufflers (Most of what flowmaster sells) have a lot of drone on 4cyl engines.

Stock spot or replacing the cat? Do you run a cat? Where's my cat... Kitty kitty bang bang. Meow.

But seriously, specs. There are a few Vibrant resonators. 12 in, 18 in... How many inches sir?!?! Inquiring minds and all...

No kitties allowed. It's an 18" body magnaflow xl muffler. Sounded terrible before I added the 15" straight through Vibrant.

I?ve found that most chamber/baffled mufflers (Most of what flowmaster sells) have a lot of drone on 4cyl engines.

My rear TME droned horribly in the RPM range that MikeP listed.... until I put a Vibrant resonator in the factory spot on my 9 sedan. I ran the IPD system from TME "cat back" and with a stock 9 series headpipe & cat, it sounded great. Added the 3" DP and high flow cat dumping into that same TME system, and the drone was unbearable.

Love the TME sound, I must say. Last time I looked at their offerings, they no longer sold RWD systems for these old Bricks.

Back