• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

04 S60R V70R Brakes on 945 TI !!!!

Tenacious Todd

The title says it all. :-P and so does the picture..

44829038.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/turbo16psi/as_featured_in_european_car_march2005&page=4

Last edited:
Wow very nice. How did you get a hold of those? Did it bold right in or did you have to do any cuting? Does your ABS still work? How does it stop? I know sometimes people have problems with larger brakes because of the stock master cylinder can't move enough brake fluid for maximum braking.
Justin

looks pretty slick... definitely fills though 19's well :-D
yeah, so how'd the install go? im guessing your bro had to make some adapters for the mounts?

well , the PCD is correct , and i believe the offset is correct for a later model car , but volvo offer an uprated brake disc and caliper for the 940 which takes the to 303mm anyway , but its good to know it can be done .

would it be possible to use wheel spacers to allow the proper clearance to use these on a 740 or a 240?

as in, putting the spacers on the hub before the rotor, and just make special brakets to support the calipers?

nohbudi said:
would it be possible to use wheel spacers to allow the proper clearance to use these on a 740 or a 240?

as in, putting the spacers on the hub before the rotor, and just make special brakets to support the calipers?

I think you'll need at least 17" wheels to fit over the new R brakes. I don't know about the clearance problems based on offset and back spacing, but you will need big wheels if you use big rotors.

I am using 240 strut housings in my nine they work better with the spacing of the original calipers holes. How did I get them I had the parts guy @ my job as a Volvo tech order the R brakes from the Volvo dealer. Abs works also , still development stages now not sure wether I will keep them on the car or sell them to 800- S70 owners WITH $$$ who want too upgrade. Yes my brother had to make brackets.

Last edited:
For info for those wondering if this will work on 700s: I have installed now (and used) the front struts/discs/hubs/brakes/etc. from a '91 944ti (with ABS--the "Big Brakes") onto my '86 744ti. Direct bolt-up, no funky anything at all.
With that said, turbo16psi, do the R calipers bolt directly up to the 940 "Big Brake" (ABS) mount? Can I still use the "Big Brake" discs? If not, what sort of bracket did you need to make? Do you have any pics of the mount from behind (engine-side)? Close-ups? Pics of the whole lot disassembled? Have you had any on-road experience with them yet? If so, any noticible difference in pedal effort (I found with my "Big Brakes," I had to really stand on the pedal, which is why I'm convinced I don't like 'em. Of course, could be because I'm using single-feed ABS calipers on a dual-feed non-ABS vehicle...)?
I am considering adapting some Wilwood 4-piston or 6-piston calipers (Whoa! Let's not get ahead of myself!) (have found them for $120 each, sure I can find lower if I tried). But if the R brakes are direct bolt-ons, I may go that route.

You can make a mock up bracket and have a machinist make it out of a block of aluminum :badboy:

Just curious as to what brakes you had before the R set up. I have 11.25" powerdiscs and stock calipers and they work great [R does have the upgrade factor of course]...and those things couldn't be cheap even at dealer cost :???:

Nifty though..

MyCarSucks said:
You can make a mock up bracket and have a machinist make it out of a block of aluminum :badboy:

Just curious as to what brakes you had before the R set up. I have 11.25" powerdiscs and stock calipers and they work great [R does have the upgrade factor of course]...and those things couldn't be cheap even at dealer cost :???:

Nifty though..

I had the same size rotors just x drilled zimmermans. Yes they are expensive BUT I realize you have too spend some money to get what I wanted. Besides NO ONE offers a big brake kit for these cars. And the beauty of it is they are Volvo factory parts.

Last edited:
I had bendix 10.25 1 piece bakes and they were horrible. Then I got ate powerdiscs with 10.25 girling brakes.......not much better. My bro's stock brakes are still better.
Eamonn

my brakes are ok: 11.25 powerdisks/girling calipers, but methinks there's something funny with the system cuz whenever the ABS is activated the car stalls....oh well. maybe a complete going-over is in order... anyone got ideas on an "upgraded" master cylinder, brake booster, calipers? how difficult would it be to try and transplant the 850's brake system to the 700 chassis?

any updates on the R brakes?

Don't want to hijack his thread but:

The 11.25" seem to be better with the bendix calipers, i don't know why, i don't know how, but it stops on a dime even with the el cheapo pads from autozone.

Those R brakes must stop on a penny then :-D

Just curious....what was the ball park cost on those? I got a feeling it is one of those "don't want to know" answers... :badboy:

money is money... who spends it and who begs for it will never change. 2 pot calipers, big ass rotors... $900 and some change aint too bad for a complete swap with volvo stamped on it. Well done todd.

if you want to hear money... you would not believe the quotes from endless and stoptech i have for a 240. :freak:

Back