• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

wheel hubs

hot740

I was looking at some new wheels, mainly konigs, but a few other brands also. I would have walked out of the store with some new wheels if it wasn't for the fact that they wouldn't fit. There is a pin on the wheel hub that prevents almost any wheel from fitting on it. Is there anything i can do? I thought about cutting the pin off, and having the wheel balanced to make up for the imbalance caused by removing the pin. The service people told me that the wheel would vibrate ridiculously. If someone could help me out here on what to do, i would appreciate it.

That pin is just a locating pin for the stock wheels, it also is a retainer for the disc iirc. Grinding it off will not affect the balance enough to make the wheels vibrate. Or instead of grinding it off you can just replace it with a regular bolt. If you are not convinced about the vibration issue, remove the bolt and reinstall your present wheels and take it for a drive. Dan242tic

I'd agree with Dan on this one. I'm not sure what year they started using the locating pin, but at least some older 240's (like my '78) don't have it. They use the same hubs, but instead of the pin they have a bolt with a low profile head.

-steve

Do nothing different. Just remove the pin. It should be a 10mm head. I've removed the pins on my 240.

Make sure whoever removes the locating pin uses a 10mm wrench and not an adjustable! The people at a major tire/wheel chain here did that and stripped the thing, I had to bust out the vise grips and do it myself in front of them.
:D

Late

Slow745ti said:
Make sure whoever removes the locating pin uses a 10mm wrench and not an adjustable! The people at a major tire/wheel chain here did that and stripped the thing, I had to bust out the vise grips and do it myself in front of them.

A big hammer works good too. Just break off the pin.

:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!:

I don't know, I would use a chisel with that hammer, the hammer would probably do more harm than good.

:eek: :lol: :wink: :roll: :oops: 8) :( :) :? :p :twisted: :evil: :x :shock: :D :D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :cry: :oops: :p :x :| :mrgreen: O:-) :badboy: :x: :eek: :urgod: :boink: :rockon: :beer: :hitit: :kiss: :nono: :rant: :squint: :stupid: :uh: :uhm: :wave: :werd: :whip: :wiggle:

I think i have had enough of these icons for a while, time to cut back :lol:
:)
Late

Back