• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka DOHC Valve Cover: This is what happens when you send HotSnail your parts

Powder>Paint

So i got an email from Karl about a DOHC valve cover hes interested in having coated Honda Wrinkle Black. He had a few concerns, as this is a non standard, detail sensitive item. He expressed concern over a sensor boss, threaded posts, AN fittings, and the factory sealing surfaces. We exchanged some emails, some promises to get it right or have it be free (and probably be shamed publicly) were made, and he sent it in

Below is how I unboxed it before any processes were completed. The barely visible red stuff turned out to be a monster, OLD POWDER COAT. i usually charge 25 bucks just to strip old powder, in addition to coating, but i was so excited to work on something cooler that the patio furniture hardware ive been shooting(which pays the bills,regardless of how boring), I didnt ask if it was coated. I have no problem sticking to a deal I dont ask enough questions on, it takes what it takes!:cool:.

After blasting most of the black rattle can off it, i realized what the red was. Time for Eastwood clean strip. i refuse to be aggressive w sensitive stuff. No wire wheels, stiff brushes, soda blast or coarse media was used. The correct product to safely strip the coating was used, and even though it took extra time, it was done thoroughly and correctly. Every sensitive detail was protected.

Now once its visually clean it is ready for fine media blast.

Clean, and once again all sensitive areas protected. Face of sensor boss, and 1/8 in down it for flush fit of sensor, factory oil cap sealing surface was CLEANED, NOT MEDIA BLASTED. I am not going to assume i can create a better sealing surface than OE Factory, so I preserved the original surface and finish. AN fittings from the shop were installed to cover the fittings on the cover. Now for an off gassing, then High Zinc Powdercoat Primer.

Masked, shot, baked, just like that.

And now, the Honda Wrinkle Black, in all its glory.

Didnt know if hed need it, but i tossed in stainless hardware too....:cool:

Well, thats all folks, hope you liked this race care part write up! I really enjoyed working on this part, and hope Karl likes it as well.

Your work is starting to impress me. Maybe when the time comes, I'll box up a bunch of stuff for you to coat.

Nice write up

Wish you were closer. I want to redo my wheel centers. Lots of finish crazing and embedded pad dust :-(

Dang Brett, that really did turn out nice!

Now, if you can get something hammered out for a ceramic heat controlling coating, I have parts to send. :)

Dang Brett, that really did turn out nice!

Now, if you can get something hammered out for a ceramic heat controlling coating, I have parts to send. :)

Thanks Gary! I may have to expand into the ceramics at some point. I have been testing High temp powder on my own car, to see what will live and die on a turbine housing. So far, ONLY ONE powder I have tested is showing promise, OUT OF 3! The high temp silver flaked after 1000 miles, testure high temp black did only marginally better. Semi gloss muffler black is the only one still going, but we will see what father time says. Been talking w Cerakote and seeing what it takes to actually get started buy in wise.

Wish you were closer. I want to redo my wheel centers. Lots of finish crazing and embedded pad dust :-(

Ship em on down! I live nowhere near El Segundo, but Karls cover got done no problem..:) Most of my orders are mail order, and I try to adhere to a 72 hour turnaround(meaning I physically have it 3 days, then its in a box, shot, insured for way more than its worth). Because of the Davis meet(which i explained to Karl ahead of time) the cover took a little longer, I had it total 7 of days, and it cost a total of 50 bucks minus shipping. I try and keep price to where shipping and coating is still cheaper and faster than the local powder coater who has three weeks of Harley parts in front of you...:lol:

Nice work. I may also have to send some stuff your way in the future.

Sounds great!

Your work is starting to impress me. Maybe when the time comes, I'll box up a bunch of stuff for you to coat.

Nice write up

thanks! Always happy to hear people enjoy seeing my stuff! Im basically an adult who still loves to color lmao

Definitely down for Cerakote on that manifold and housing, need to get the turbine outlet still, before any of it gets coated. For me, probably cheaper to drive over with the parts, than to ship 30lbs of case iron. lol

I might have to send to you some stuff. IC piping and potentially a turbine housing.
That looks fantastic.

Definitely down for Cerakote on that manifold and housing, need to get the turbine outlet still, before any of it gets coated. For me, probably cheaper to drive over with the parts, than to ship 30lbs of case iron. lol

Fits it ships! Priority mail is my best buddy.....:lol:

came out nice

Much appriciated! Its hard to beat the uniform consistency of an electrically applied coating that flows like a skittle shell......:cool:

I might have to send to you some stuff. IC piping and potentially a turbine housing.
That looks fantastic.

Send it on down man, we can nail down any color and most textures, so getting what you like wont be an issue. I can even mail out some samples if you get close on what you like and are ready!

Beautiful work.

Thanks man! Just made a youtube vid of this for our channel too!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c3J1lPlQSFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cerakote has a lot of amazing products. We use one of their black coatings on aircooled cylinders for race bikes. Actually works at keeping them cooler. It resists race fuel and brake fluid too!

Funny, pri-mail is gonna be $40-50 each way, vs. maybe a half tank of fuel round trip. lol

Good info on Cerakote. Digging around online, people seem pleased with them.

Funny, pri-mail is gonna be $40-50 each way, vs. maybe a half tank of fuel round trip. lol

:nod:

Brett, if you're gonna be doing this a lot do yourself a favor and get a business account somewhere. I have a UPS business account which is great compared to retail shipping. Pre-negotiated discounts when I print off labels at home, deferred payments and I can walk into any UPS store, fill out a sheet with my account number and ship to address and let them handle the rest.

Also, Priority Mail is expensive. UPS/FedEx ground are usually a fair bit cheaper.

edit:

i know Cerakote is really popular with gun guys for how durable and heat resistant it is, would probably be great for automotive applications too

Sounds like a good excuse to make the trip! Hopefully within two weeks well have something worked out w cerakote as a vendor. :cool:

:nod:

Brett, if you're gonna be doing this a lot do yourself a favor and get a business account somewhere. I have a UPS business account which is great compared to retail shipping. Pre-negotiated discounts when I print off labels at home, deferred payments and I can walk into any UPS store, fill out a sheet with my account number and ship to address and let them handle the rest.

Also, Priority Mail is expensive. UPS/FedEx ground are usually a fair bit cheaper.

edit:

i know Cerakote is really popular with gun guys for how durable and heat resistant it is, would probably be great for automotive applications too

So true. we just got commercial fedex setup, ups is next!

Ur in like Flint (not like the water) but doing the Buchka part is on par with Santa asking you to paint his sleigh

And I was honored! I know I put a ton of meticulous effort into this one for sure, i wanted such a nice part to be perfect.

I still have some funds in paypal, so when you're setup with Cerakote, we can talk. Means I gotta get some port work done now....lol

What part of the bay are you in?

Back