• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1983 245 Wagon MPG

jsincich123

My 1983 245 automatic wagon is getting about 14.5 mpg in the city with a two crossbar roof rack. I carry ladders occasionally for work. Does this seem about right? I take it on the highway maybe once every one or two weeks. I am really hoping to be able to get better mileage than this.

That sounds like it is probably running really rich. Or someone is siphoning gas out each night.

Unless you've done lots of mods to it, it's probably still K-Jet, and that's pretty much all I know about K-Jet.

N/A healthy LH2.0 B23 should usually get about 18 at the worst if everyting's working right, depending how loaded and how much you beat on it.

Otherwise, an N/A '83 should get about 20-27ish.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for issues or what may be the culprit? Totally new to this. Even something I can ask my mechanic who seems to think the 14 mph is normal.

So far these items have been replaced since I bought the car 6 months ago:

Oxygen sensor
Exhaust kit (muffler)
Air mass sensor

Last edited:
I had the time today before dark to look at the spark plugs and one of the spark plug wires was loose/unconnected and the spark plug was corroded. I am hoping this solves the problem! Will check the other things when I get the time.

Last edited:
MPG threads are always hard.

So much goes into fuel economy in so many areas...so many variables!

Can be anything from fuel leaking from the tank, to a dragging brake, to alignment, a nearly flat tire, wrong size tires to to state of wear of the engine to state of tune of the engine and beyond...a sheet of vertical plywood on the roof even that the owner neglected to mention :lol:

Worst I've really gotten is 17-18 beating on an N/A EFI car heavily loaded, short trips etc but healthy/stock otherwise. ~23 combined, 28 if mostly highway, 20-22 if mostly city.

Got a decent Bentley book?

Thanks! I do have a Bentley manual. Going through it slowly. I replaced the spark plug the other day and now it is hesitating at idle worse than before. Does it need to be a Bosch? They didn't have them at my local auto parts store.

Back