• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anyone tried EEC IV?

TR Conn

While on my semi monthly treasure hunt (AKA junk yard trip) it occurred to me that since the Ford 2.3 cyl. is so similar to the red block why couldn't we utilize the EEC IV computer, sensors and actuators.
The Ford system was "cracked" long ago and chips, upgrades, programs are readily available.
So the question is; has this been tried/thought about/done & failed?

I guess you have to ask yourself if it's worth spending the time and money adapting all the Ford stuff to your engine or just spending that same time installing a megasquirt and using your stock sensors.

Most 2.3 EEC IV ecu's that you could implement in a redblock environment use restrictive vane-air meters and crappy TFI ignition. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off for an ecu that has marginally better tuning options than LH 2.4.

Edit: Karl beat me to it.

There's a local guy with a ford 2.3 mustang that still has EEC IV. Listening to the rigging they've done to support the big-valve head, cam, giant turbo, etc makes me cringe.

Evedently the car makes really good power sometimes

He was telling me they gave an extra wind to the spring on the AFM:lol:

My only real knowledge of the EEC IV system is from my 5.0L conversion. It's from a '90 Mustang with mass air and sequential injection. I used an "EEC Tuner" with TunerPro to tweak it to pass the CA referee inspection.

It seemed like a pretty good system, so I had to ask.

Thanks for the input. I'll take that off of my "I wonder if" list.

Last edited:
The A9x ECU's are unique in their own right compared to the rest of the EEC IV ecu's. The 4 cyl EEC IV stuff is incredibly primitive by comparison.

Most 2.3 EEC IV ecu's that you could implement in a redblock environment use restrictive vane-air meters and crappy TFI ignition. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off for an ecu that has marginally better tuning options than LH 2.4.

Edit: Karl beat me to it.

Converting to a modern MAF is easy and good for some HP.
But why the hell would anyone want to mess with EECIV?
It could be made to work quite easily, but why?
LH is well documented for Volvos so conversion is simple, and MS is easy as well.

you could swap in the ecc then get diyautunes plug and play for megasquirt

seems like a lot more work for less reliability

you could also swap in vw 2.slow wiring and ecu and then program it with a rom burner at least then it will still use bosch sensors

OK, I'll stick with LH 2.4.
I've been playing around with my Ostrich and the only thing I can do reliably is get the check engine light to illuminate. Obviously I need a bit more practice/skill/knowledge.
I'm trying to tune for high fuel mileage, but will soon swap in a turbo engine I have sitting in the garage.
Thanks.

OK, I'll stick with LH 2.4.
I've been playing around with my Ostrich and the only thing I can do reliably is get the check engine light to illuminate. Obviously I need a bit more practice/skill/knowledge.
I'm trying to tune for high fuel mileage, but will soon swap in a turbo engine I have sitting in the garage.
Thanks.

What are your fuel consumption goals?

If you're concerned about fuel consumption turbo your NA engine.

What are your fuel consumption goals?

If you're concerned about fuel consumption turbo your NA engine.

I was shooting for 30 city 40 hwy. I'm currently getting 34 mpg on the highway*. I'm not commuting any longer so it doesn't seem so important.
Rather than +T the NA, I have a complete '91 turbo engine waiting to go in. That seems easier than dealing with the plumbing necessary to get the +T installed.
This isn't going to happen any time soon. I'm about 8 months away from my target date for my current project (122 wagon).
But that's fodder for a thread of its own.

*LH 2.4 stock, B cam, head shaved .030, T-5 trans (.68 OD) all in a 122S

you could swap in the ecc then get diyautunes plug and play for megasquirt

seems like a lot more work for less reliability

you could also swap in vw 2.slow wiring and ecu and then program it with a rom burner at least then it will still use bosch sensors

or he could simply get a plug a play setup for an lh 2.4 car... I think someone might make something like that

Back