home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
volvot5stav

Default Rwd gearbox help

Hi nice to join the group just after a bit advice if anyone can help. I am doing a rwd conversion with the 2.3 t5 engine gonna be running roughly 500hp but only about 3 to start with. I am looking for a gearbox just not sure what to use. Been told the m90 won't last and only other option I am finding is the bmw zf gearbox which needs the bellhousing cutting and welding as most of you probably already know. Has anyone done a bmw box conversion and if so do they no anyone who could convert one for me or any other gearbox options that is worth using that I don't already know about. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
volvot5stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
esmth
dirty swede

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=337990
Old 12-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

If people still make the adapter for the getrag 260 series then that'll do it. I'm pretty sure RSI is out of business which were the ones who made the adapter. Other than that, the T5 from the mustang might hold the power you want. I've heard people using T5s with more power than that. Maybe someone else will chime in.
LeedomtoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
90volvo
Board Member

yes t5 would hold up. Alot of mustangs at the track running more than that but would need to be a rebuilt one or new.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
That is for a red block, op has a white block.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
esmth
dirty swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
That is for a red block, op has a white block.
crap! my bad
esmth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #7
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

Or you could buy my old m46 that I have lying around. It wont fit the whiteblock and wont hold the power of a pedal bike but it'll make a nice conversation piece for the garage.
LeedomtoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
poulrais
Board Member

RogerDee is working for me on a conversion plate to fit a Nissan 350z Cd009 6 speed on a white block... I don't know if you're very much in a hurry but something should come out of this soon I guess.

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
RogerDee is working for me on a conversion plate to fit a Nissan 350z Cd009 6 speed on a white block... I don't know if you're very much in a hurry but something should come out of this soon I guess.
This is 100% the transmission you should use. Your other best option is to figure out if you can cram a T56 in there, which I don't think you can.

The T5 is "fine". I have one, it's super easy to remove (less than an hour solo) and the rebuildability is plenty available. However... most mustang guys will tell you that it can barely hold the power of their stock 302s. Then again... those are mustang guys.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
Also tell him to do it for redblocks. I would've snaked this over my T5 HA!
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
This is 100% the transmission you should use. Your other best option is to figure out if you can cram a T56 in there, which I don't think you can.

The T5 is "fine". I have one, it's super easy to remove (less than an hour solo) and the rebuildability is plenty available. However... most mustang guys will tell you that it can barely hold the power of their stock 302s. Then again... those are mustang guys.
The CD009 is already bought... If the plate is not makable I'll go for the welded BH way. And yes RogerDee will also look for a B230 version of the plate for sure!
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote